PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• Charly27
    Charly27 Posts: 605 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    I agreed to us returning early on the condition that the weekend would still be spent as a family, no friends or other obligations. Husband agreed to it several times, so I was surprised when yesterday an acquaintance showed up end they went to get take away and took three hours to return; then this morning, when I said we were going for a long walk somewhere nice, husband took forever to get ready, then complained it was too far away, then wanted to cut the walk in half (I couldn't, it was a loop), because he had organised a meeting with several people at 3pm, where he wil stay for dinner!

So sorry that your plans Siebrie didn’t go as you hoped. Do hope you can find a way through it and come out on the other side stronger and wiser. It’s not easy but you will know what’s right for you and your family. X
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome and ‘The Best is yet to Come’.
  • Charly27
    Options
    Pooky thanks for posting. My ❤️ Goes out to your relatives. Very sobering. I read it out to DH. I was feeling very smug about what I thought was our minimalist house until we started to clean the kitchen in preparation for decorating.
    We decided to target one room to freshen up and that was the room we spent most time in. Well I felt down and quite disappointed in myself when after two cupboards and one drawer we had two large bags for the CS !!!
    How does that happen. I thought I had one in, one out policy.
    Still, no point moping about it - just keep on troshing ...
    ‘One of our greatest freedoms is how we react to things’ said Mole.Cross stitch cafe WIP ‘A Year in the Life of’ HSC. TaDa Welcome and ‘The Best is yet to Come’.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    We are currently on holiday in France and maybe it is because we are indulging ourselves but I am horrified at how much recycling we are producing. We don't normally have many drinks cans going into the green box at home (wine bottles are a different matter -I sometimes think I should put out a notice when I put out the recycling saying "yes, it was a very good party, thank you,"):rotfl:

They have collections for corks in supermarkets but bottle banks will only take glass, no bottle caps. I don't think we have to worry about that in the UK but then again we don't have to separate glass from metal and plastic, it all goes in the same green box. I have wondered what they do about bottle caps etc when separating takes place at the recycling centre.
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Charly27
    Options
    Have a great bank holiday at the homestead GQ. Looking forward to sharing your adventures (a) if you share and / or (b) if you have any.
    Here the km continues even on my bd. We attacked the bottom kitchen drawer. Top = cutlery, middle = tea towels (all folded in km style), bottom = plastic tubs; rich pickings as we had a RIDICULOUS amount of these. Recycled a lot of and all have lids now. We decided if we have takeaways again we need to go and take the tubs and ask them to fill them for us.:eek:
    The oldest foodstuff we found so far was a bottle of oil from 2012. Too rank for human consumption but good for oiling my tools so now in the shed. :rotfl:
    Have a good bank hols all :)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Only paperwork being KM'd at home but took the boat out for a couple of days to get some more practice. The previous owner had a lifebuoy with a mast fitted to it so it is easier to spot someone overboard in adverse weather. I had a look round at other boats in the marina & only the ocean going yachts seemed to have them ( previous owner did cross channel trips) I'm never going to do that so I'm kondoing the mast! It takes up precious room and I have no use for it being a fair weather sailor in local waters!
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • iamsalt
    iamsalt Posts: 295 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning.
    I have dipped in and out for a while, but the prospect of yet another house move means I am a bit more focused at the moment. We are moving to the house that we plan to live in for a long time which we have spent nearly a year renovating, and have been enjoying the calm and empty rooms which are nearly all painted white.
    We have had most of our possessions in boxes while we renovate most of which we haven't missed, so I am sure that we don't need to take everything with us. I don't fancy going quite as extreme as some minimalist sites suggest but a reduction is never a bad thing!
    My SiL is here this week and will help me with sorting and getting things to charity shops or on eBay, hopefully we can make a few inroads into the boxes.
    I am still horrified that I am still paying for 3 storage units for my mums things, which she can't face sorting out and thinks will fit in her 1 bed bungalow we are building for her...i want to get my things in order before I tackle that. Mum believes that she does need all the 13 pairs of secateurs in there (she has 2 pairs in use as well).
    £400,000 starting Jan 2020 current end date Aug 2041 I would love the end date to be 2027 but will aim first for 2037.
    1% target £4000 so far £20 paid
  • ivyleaf
    ivyleaf Posts: 6,431 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    maryb - Here we have one box for plastics, metal, and tetrapaks; and a separate one for glass.
    Not to mention one for paper and card; a food waste caddy; a non-recyclables wheelie bin (emptied fortnightly) and a paid-for garden waste wheelie bin, emptied on the weeks when the other one isn't. it's all very well, but there's nowhere to keep them except outside the front door :(

((HUGS)) Siebrie, I'm not surprised you're unhappy at his behaviour.
  • maryb
    maryb Posts: 4,666 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    I think we are in adjoining local authorities Ivyleaf so it's always a bit surprising to see how different the systems are. We have black boxes for card and paper and green boxes for glass, plastics and tins empties alternate weeks. Food waste every week and non recyclable fortnightly We don't bother with a brown bin for garden waste as we are not too far from the tip and we have a long Leyland Cypress hedge

So similar to yours but a bit less sorting. I think they've got the balance about right. We also find storing the bins a pain. I was looking at a planning application for a new house in our road recently and one of the requirements was storage for the recycling bins. Quite a good idea though you just know that in a few years time the arrangements will be different and they will find their bins don't fit or they'll need more of them, lol
    It doesn't matter if you are a glass half full or half empty sort of person. Keep it topped up! Cheers!
  • Slinky
    Slinky Posts: 10,105 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have tidied some stuff up into the loft...... please forgive me! We had a couple of pairs of curtains that have been lying on the sofabed upstairs since the start of the year. We took these out of the lounge when we got new for there when we decorated. We finally swapped one pair into the front bedroom and the bedroom pair have gone to the loft, along with the other old lounge pair. Our future home has some really grotty curtains, these will be nicer replacements even if only temporarily, once we move. Also moved to the loft is a Turkish handmade rug which I can't put down as our current cat scrabbles at it. It may find a home in our new house, if not maybe our Turkish neighbours may like it!

Whilst up in the loft I dragged down a single duvet which I hope to get rid of this week to the re-use centre. We haven't had single beds for years. I also dragged down 3 crates with paperwork in which need to be gone through. A quick skim of one shows financial paperwork from 2004 (when we last moved) so it looks promising for a good clearout. Which reminds me, I need to oil the shredder.

There are actually some gaps in the loft now, but I also spotted at least 1 possibly 2 more crates with what looks like coursework from OH's uni degree or early career (he's in his 50s.......).
    Make £2024 in 2024
    Prolific to 29/2/24 £184.97, Chase Interest £11.88, Chase roundup interest £0.18, Chase CB £16.96, Roadkill £1.10, Octopus referral reward £50, Octopoints £6.30 to 31/1/24, Topcashback £4.64, Shopmium £3
    Total £279.03/£2024  13.8%

Make £2023 in 2023
    Water sewerage refund: £170.62,Topcashback: £243.47, Prolific: to 31/12/23 £975, Haggling: £45, Wombling(Roadkill): £6.04,  Chase CB £149.34, Chase roundup interest £1.35, WeBuyBooks:£8.37, Misc sales: £406.59, Delay repay £22, Amazon refund £3.41, EDF Smart Meter incentive £100, Santander Edge Cashback-Fees: £25.14, Octopus Reward £50, Bank transfer incentives £400
    Total: £2606.33/£2023  128.8%

• Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Recycling: One large wheelie collected every 3 weeks for none recyclables
    One brown wheelie collected fortnightly for garden waste - £38 for the year. Trolley with 3 boxes on with flaps for paper/card (top) Plastic tetra metal (middle) Glass (bottom) collected weekly along with a food waste bin - which we never use - I keep my bird seed in it. On the occasion we have food waste I put it in food waste bag and pop it in neighbours....they do know! Fortunately okay for space here. I work in another county and have friends in 2 other neighbouring counties ( all quite small local authorities) and each one has a different way of collecting and recycling. Our neighbouring county is just about to go over to monthly none recyclable collections - there has been uproar!

Slow on the KM front - have had a houseful all BH weekend - glad everybody gone back to work. I have a few days left before I do and really need to have a bit more focused effort - did a clothes sweep yesterday and weeded out a few more things. Although I am not really following KM too strictly its strange that the first thing I tackled was the folding of knickers and the rolling of socks........and those drawers remain the same - ordered and colour organised :)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport