PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,245 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 23 August 2018 at 2:26PM
    Options
    Afternoon all

Pooky amazing tale. Many years ago an elderly relative of dh died and her sister banned anyone except herself, her hubby, her son and his wife (eventually Mr d's parents) from helping to clear the house after they began finding cash. Itwas everywhere - taped under drawers, under the edges of the carpets (days before wall to wall carpets), sewn into curtains, inside pockets/bags/shoes, even round and round the clapper of an ornamental little china handbell. They were literally taking cash out the house in drawers taken out of a chest of drawers. Nothing could leave the house without being thoroughly checked. But that pales in comparison to your tale. What a stress.

We had an unexpected visit the other day by American relatives we didn't really know we had (I don't know what Marie would say about that- gaining 4 relatives overnight is hardly in the spirit of decluttering however once we got to know them they did spark joy so I think we will keep them :) ) however it prompted a quick tidy up and now I have clear dining table (hasn't been clear for weeks) and a top which gradually had gained so many Items you couldn't appreciate anything individually, it was all one dusty mass. It's clean and clear now and items are in the cs bag so that's good.

Will keep plugging away :T

Daisy xx

Ps heres a dodgy hug for anyone who needs one today :grouphug:
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have some bulky old computer books, very old operating systems, so no use to anyone, does anyone know if I can just drop them into our paper/card re-cycling bag, or do I need to tear out all the pages? hopefully not the latter as RA in my hands:eek:

Cannot face phoning the council and being left on hold for ages.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Maddie - our local council accepts books as they are - although they like hardback covers to be removed, from memory. The pages can all stay attached together though :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 23 August 2018 at 3:46PM
    Options
    maddiemay wrote: »
    I have some bulky old computer books, very old operating systems, so no use to anyone, does anyone know if I can just drop them into our paper/card re-cycling bag, or do I need to tear out all the pages? hopefully not the latter as RA in my hands:eek:

Cannot face phoning the council and being left on hold for ages.
    :) I'm one of the council peeps who takes such calls; just chuck 'em as they go. They'll be baled at the HWRC and sold for scrap paper and will be fine as it.

Harrowing story from Pooky about the hoarded house of carp liberally salted with priceless family photos and cold hard cash. When I helped clear Nan's bungalow I fanned through all the books and magazines in case anything was concealed therein, but there was not. Apparently, when my Grandad died (he predeceased Nan by more than a decade) she found cash hidden all over the place.

Came in from work and found three items of post. One was unaddressed junk mail and one was a fast food flier, both of which are residing in the bike basket to head to recycling when I am out of here in an hour or so. The other was an expected and important document which is filed and its envelope for recycling.

With post, I try very had to deal with it before I sit down because, if you allow it to roost, it seems to multipy like tribbles.

I will be a the 'rents for a couple of days over BH weekend but will be just doing a few things, not expecting to get into any decluttering but, if the Mothership professes a desire to have some done, I will step up and do my duty.;)
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • WeeMidgie
    WeeMidgie Posts: 469 Forumite
    Options
    I'm on holiday at present, and one result of all my downsizing and kondoing is that I'm now completely able to browse a bookshop and come out empty handed. This is a radical change! I did invest in two balls of self striping sock yarn in a craft shop, as the price was over half what I would pay at home, and I need warm socks for the winter. So that was my holiday treat and definitely sparked joy!
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    GQ thank you for that information, my hearing is not the best and I am not good at phone calls sometimes.

I hope that you have a great time back with the family at the weekend.
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anybody see the programme on landfill on BBC4 last night - worth a watch on ipl@yer. Interesting and thought provoking.......the 1980's disposable nappy hammered it home!

For me it confirmed that being wasteful,putting stuff in the ground, having more than we need etc etc is just not sustainable even though there were some very interesting solutions. I will continue to abide by the 3 R's and be happy to be smug in the fact we can go 9 weeks without having our wheelie bin for none recyclables emptied:)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Just got back from a week away. The sum total of my purchases: one large white shirt from a charity shop, which I'm going to remake into a top; two paperback books, also from charity shops and 50p worth of buttons from a junk stall.

Like WeeMidgie I can now browse a bookshop and leave without buying anything. I saw some lovely pottery, prints, art work et cetera while I was away but just wasn't tempted. I have Kondoed a fair amount of chips, beer and ice cream while away, too!
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Igamogam wrote: »
    Anybody see the programme on landfill on BBC4 last night - worth a watch on ipl@yer. Interesting and thought provoking.......the 1980's disposable nappy hammered it home!

For me it confirmed that being wasteful,putting stuff in the ground, having more than we need etc etc is just not sustainable even though there were some very interesting solutions. I will continue to abide by the 3 R's and be happy to be smug in the fact we can go 9 weeks without having our wheelie bin for none recyclables emptied:)
    :j I salute you!

Got around to some paper decluttering today - well, to be truthful, I got around to two months' worth of undone filing and ending up culling a lot of papers when I was in my hanging file box. That led me to filing in my Warranties & Instructions folder (a lever arch) a new item and finding the instruction booklet for the mobile which died in June. Not that I need a manual for a N0kia button phone, they're nicely intuitive. All gone for shredding/ recycling.

I swear paperwork is secretly breeding overnight.

I hope something amusing will occur at the Homestead, but one cannot force these things, it will happen or it won't. If it's funny (good funny or bad funny) I will overshare as usual.

Hope everyone has the hot beverage and sweet treat of their choice tonight. GQ xx
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »

I swear paperwork is secretly breeding overnight.
    I think my 'stuff' breeds:rotfl: I clear out one room/box/shed/cupboard/attic/general hide hole and I turn round and the space seems full again! Its definitely a net flow out of the door here but sometimes I feel what is left 'grows' - a bit like if you vacuum pack a kingsize duvet and then somehow it get a tiny hole in the bag and air seeps in....or like inflating a life raft in a confined space:eek:

Hope everyone has the hot beverage and sweet treat of their choice tonight. GQ xx

Our pellet boiler decide it had been quiet for long enough and decided to switch on the CH tonight....feel a hot choc coming on!!
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure