PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

KonMari 2018 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• wort
    wort Posts: 1,686 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Katiepants , if you have a kindle someone posted on here that the book is on amazon for kindle at 99p.
    Alternatively there are a few videos on yootube! !
    Good luck, it has made a massive difference to my life, not only keeping things tidy and becoming more minimal, but in stopping me buying things that are unnecessary.
    I'm still looking for things to get rid of in my house , even though to anyone else it looks perfectly tidy!!
    It's super easy to clean, and I don't have a problem with losing things as ever thing has a place.x:j
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • Siebrie
    Siebrie Posts: 2,909 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Siebrie wrote: »
    I know we are not supposed to kondo family member's stuff, but I could not resist dds' desk/cubby hole wall/baskets of grmrbl.

- I threw out one winebox full of paper 'art'
    - picked out all the Dup10 to reassemble the sets and give away or sell (that was just on a quick browse, I know there is more)
    - put several larger items in the attic for donating to relatives (foam floor puzzles, etc)
    - resorted the playmobi1 and barb1e items into their separate crates

It's 4 days later now, and they haven't even noticed.....

They still haven't noticed, and I have removed even more from their playcorner :rotfl:

We submitted our taxes electronically, and the programme calculated that we should receive over EUR4,000 back! That's roughly GBP3,500!
    Are you wombling, too, in '22? € 58,96 = £ 52.09Wombling in Restrictive Times (2021) € 2.138,82 = £ 1,813.15Wombabeluba 2020! € 453,22 = £ 403.842019's wi-wa-wombles € 2.244,20 = £ 1,909.46Wombling to wealth 2018 € 972,97 = £ 879.54Still a womble 2017 #25 € 7.116,68 = £ 6,309.50Wombling Free 2016 #2 € 3.484,31 = £ 3,104.59
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :T Nice one, Siebrie!

Have taken some more books to the chazzer today, leaving only about 6 to go. Some are proper doorstoppers and large print, these are ones from the mothership, not my personal holdings, which are pretty modest. Every little helps when you're decluttering.

I've also done a lot of shredding and got rid of quite a bit of confidntial gumpfh, which is all to the good.

A smalll ladies' handkerchief has taken religious orders and will shortly be in the rag-bag. A tiny bit less Stuff in my personal world.

Keep up the good work, everyone. GQ x
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Ouch, WeeMidgie I posted on here a short while ago that I'd decided to get rid of my mandoline slicer - nonetheless it went back in the cupboard. I think you've finally convinced me!

Having to search for something made me turn out the cupboard where I keep my fabric stash. (A lot of it is recycled/repurposed stuff). Ahem, I think I need to actually do some sewing rather than fantasise about it. I must have at least enough for a double bed patchwork quilt, even though patchwork isn't really my thing it'll be a good way to get rid of some and tart up the spare room.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • grunnie
    grunnie Posts: 1,789 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Mandolin slice. I lost the top of the ring finger of my right hand slicing cucumber for a family lunch. The doctor sewed it on again and then a nurse pulled off the dressing and off came the top of my finger. Ouch and double ouch. Years later and if I touch something the wrong way it hurts like !!!!.
    Yesterday I eventually after a lot of planning bribery and nagging I got OH to tidy the garage and shed. I would have done it myself but it is his garage and his shed so I was just the helper. I had cake for a flycup.Made a rice pudding for lunch and got a Chinese take out for dinner. Total bribery as we never do that. Probably 20 years since I had a takeout but I really enjoyed it. But I have a very tidy garage and shed. Loads died in storage and a few bits to hand on to family but a very worth while day.
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :T Well done, grunnie, that's a heckuva achievement. Excellent use of bribery, too. ;)

I'm flinching at tales of mandolins and will never ever allow one anywhere near me, stomach turning over just thinking about it.

Me, the Hipster Toyboy and my other twenty-something male friend, have all been playing at a bootsale, buying random Stuff. I bought one drinking glass for 10p when there were five identical on offer, to have in reserve when my only other large drinking glass hits the deck. As it is used several times daily, that could happen at any time.

:o I now own four glasses, two large and two small, which is plenty as there's normally only me here.

Am recharging with a pot of tea before flitting to the allotment (with injured paw well-glov'd) to harvest a courgette. Or possibly a marrow, dependimg on how much mass it has managed to develop even in a drought.:rotfl:

Will be doing some personal admin later, and probably take the opportunity of having the hanging file box out to go through and see if there's anything which can be got rid of.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    I was thinking about a mandolin but all these finger stories have made my toes feel funny just reading them :(
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I bought a mandolin some years ago - it lives in the cupboard with my mixer attachments. Have I ever used it? No so out it's going! If I need something finely sliced the attachment on my mixer is quicker and safer! Thanks Chums ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,329 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    We have a mandolin that has a fingerguard - I'm always very careful, especially when washing any of the interchangeable blades...DH has lost a bit of finger AND a bit of thumb by not being as careful. Apparently now any kitchen mandolin-work is my job...any stringed mandolin-work is his :D
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    my mandolin had a pronged finger guard but still I sliced the tip of a finger and a finger doesn`t half bleed. The mandolin went out pdq

So today I spent a couple of hours taking hooks and holders down from the walls in my big outdoor store. First I took anything out of the garage that I didn`t really want swept out in the first removal and now garden things and paints are going in, having boxed them or fastened them together. It was incredibly hot outside and in the garage but the store is insulated and is relatively cool, if I do any more in there today, then I will shut the door and turn the solar led lights on. Nothing at all has needed to be thrown out

I am using flour as fast as I can, put my panny back in the kitchen and am using spelt and rye to make a spelt/rye loaf. to slice and freeze tomorrow. I almost gave panny away but glad I didn`t

I am glad I am making an effort today, otherwise it would be yet another day wasted by the heat
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport