PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast

Options

Comments

• TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    edited 24 June 2018 at 9:29AM
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 159

Sometimes you have to give in to temptation and go with your heart....today was one of those days and it paid off :D

Could we justify going all the way up to Truro for the monthly auction which is a 45 minute drive away (we have been TRYING :rotfl: to reduce our car journeys and therefore fuel consumption as well) when there were only 2 lots which we were keen on?

I woke up on the morning and knew we had to go.

We had an hour before the auction started to view the lots and there were more lots that caught our attention. As we had to pick up our daughter from school some of the lots were dismissed as we were not going to be able to stay for them and although we could have left a bid on the books that would have entailed another trip up to Truro to collect any winning lots which we couldn't justify.

We were very pleased to win 3 lots, all for re-sale bar part of one lot which we will keep for ourselves. Better still, on two of the lots we paid far less than we were prepared to go up to.

I must tell you about one lot. We don't normally look at the boxes under the table but we did this time. One lot (2 boxes) caught our eye and we won them both for £4. When we had more time to look thoroughly through them we realised just how much of a bargain we had. Sadly I suspect that it was from a house clearance but the quality of the items was incredible and will either be sold on ebay or the car boot sale that we are gearing up to do next Friday. Two items have already been listed and if they sell for what we put them on at we will have doubled our money just on those two items :cool:

As a treat we visited our favourite fish and chips shop and came home having had an absolutely super day

Finally the icing on the cake was an amazing firework display in Penzance harbour on the eve of Mazey Day (See Day 160 for Mazey Day)
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 160

Mazey Day / Golwan

In the Cornish language, Golowan means the Feast of St John and it is on St John's eve, the 23rd of June, that the festivities begin for this tradition in Penzance. It is a day of amazing parades, street food, music, stalls and a funfair to name but a few of the events that take place.

2018 pictures here

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=mazey+day+2018+penzance&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB723GB723&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjt89r89evbAhVkCcAKHbCtDgMQ_AUICigB&biw=1280&bih=644

We left home early to enjoy the day to the full and to get a free parking space.

We had a delightful walk along Penzance Promenade to Jubilee Pool (our outdoor open air Lido) and bought our tickets early for our visit later.

We had a fabulous day watching Celtic Fiddlers, The Big Dance Company (A youth dance company), one of the parades, Tres An Troy (Cornish Dancers) and Whippletree Ceiliedh Band. Despite much temptation to spend our money, we just bought a lemon drizzle cake and a box of choc ices to share.

At 3pm we headed off to the Lido and a very welcome cool swim after a stonkingly hot day :D
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast 161

Back of the net - not only does England score goals, I did today too :D

Another NSD :D
  • PollyWollyDoodle
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about Bookers, I've looked them up and there's one near me. I'm self-employed so assume I should be able to join, I'm going to look into it.
    Life is mainly froth and bubble: two things stand like stone. Kindness in another’s trouble, courage in your own.
  • TM6
    Options
    Thanks for the tip about Bookers, I've looked them up and there's one near me. I'm self-employed so assume I should be able to join, I'm going to look into it.

How exciting PWD :D

I hope you have the same success as we do :beer: We usually go before midday and never on a Saturday.

Looking forward to hearing how you get on :D
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 162

What started off as a medium spend day turned into a high spend day thanks to ebay and the world cup :rotfl:

The day started off well with a Poundstretcher shop for items that we needed.

A visit for my lady at work to both Morrison's and Tescos added another £3 which was still ok. However the item at Morrison's triggered a ' I wonder how much these are making on ebay?' On arriving home from work I quickly checked and yes a healthy profit was to be made. Cue a mad dash to Morrison's and we had bought 18 :eek:

Listed within an hour, the first one sold with a profit of £6 so now we are down to 17 :rotfl:

Wish me luck ;)
  • TM6
    edited 28 June 2018 at 8:10AM
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 163

Months ago we had booked in for a TestFest at a nearby campsite where locals for half price could stay at the campsite and test out their camping equipment / caravan / motorhome ready for the coming season. We have a little campervan which has had a starter motor problem so we thought it would be a great incentive to have it up and running and ready for the summer. Unfortunately it wasn't to be and we went away for 2 nights in a small 4 man tent.

Although we were only 3 miles away from home we had a lovely time away especially as the site has it's own swimming pool which was much appreciated in this stonkingly hot weather,

On the way to the site we called into Sainsbury's for some bacon (which is lush on the BBQ) and Morrison's for some picnic items.

So including the the campsite fees I would say that today was a medium spend day :o
  • TM6
    edited 28 June 2018 at 6:42PM
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 164

So how did our day go at Rosudgeon Car Boot Sale? - we did REALLY well. A laminated OS map of Bodmin Moor and the surrounding area for just £1.50 was a bargain especially as they usually cost £13. That[s a keeper :D
    Apart from one other item everything we bought is for resale on ebay - that will keep us busy and should bring us a healthy profit.

A relatively low spend at the car boot sale today :beer:

World Cup Update

Of the 18 items we bought on Monday night we have sold 8 with a minimum profit of £6 per item. We have already made our money back. I hope by the weekend we will have sold them all :cool:
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 165

Ok so England didn't win their game against Belgium but I won my game against spending today as I knotched up another NSD :D

Also the World Cup items are selling like hot cakes - I am one very happy little bunny :D:D:D
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 166

Instead of buying at a car boot sale, today we tried our hand at selling.

Although we didn't make a massive amount, these were all items that were not worth selling on ebay and we were pleased with what we took. Also it has added to the savings pot :j

It was a stonkingly hot morning, the time flew and I made some good connections with other regular boots that I have crossed paths (or stalls!) with :D. Yes I did buy a few items and we did have a portion of chips or two but this was all budgeted for.

A lovely day and a relatively low spend
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure