PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Fiscal Fast

Options

Comments

• TM6
    TM6 Posts: 1,116 Forumite
    Options
    It's great to hear from you JackieO - it was getting very lonely as the only poster since Easter.

Do you have any hints or tips for your entertainment budget as mine has been quite expensive over the last few weeks?
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Options
    You are doing well TM6, do you know how well you are doing with regard to savings, or are you just trying to cut down outgoings and see where it gets you?

Re your mention of loose change a few posts ago, I keep a special money box on the dresser for loose change and money from selling eggs. £2 coins go in a sealed pot, anything else goes in the duck (for that is the shape of the money box :)) and then I raid it when I want change for parking etc or need a little treat like a coffee out.

Thanks for your encouragement PWD :D

As far as savings go, any unspent money is going 3 ways -
    Honeymoon money for DS, honeymoon money for DD1 and spending money for us and all are looking healthy which wouldn't have been the case if it weren't for the Fiscal Fast.

Also like you I have a sealed pot for any £2 coins but they are as rare as hen's teeth as we are not spending that much.

As far as change goes, 50ps and £1s are kept for car boot sales etc and the rest is put into a tin to use at supermarkets. I think I must have OCD as I HATE a purse full of change.

Thanks for all the suggestions and...it is a shame you do not live close to me as I would love to buy your eggs from you x
    "One hundred years from now, it will not matter what kind of car I drove, what kind of house I lived in, how much was in my bank account, nor what my clothes looked like but the world may be a little bit better because I was important in the life of a child."
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 96

Do you all use TopCashBack and/or Quidco?

As a snack at work, I like to eat mixed nuts and fruit and as I needed more supplies, I had a debate going on inside my head as to whether I should call into the shop and buy them straight away or order them online. As I get 8% cashback from ordering online it was a no
    brainer.

Order placed for home delivery :D

It was brilliant sunshine today so a car boot sale was beckoning :rotfl: Not many stalls but 1 item was bought to sell on ebay and a map of Newcastle where our daughters live was snapped up for 50p

We carried on to Morrisons to pick up supplies for a BBQ and whilst there took advantage of their special offers. As I had an online coupon for 4000 extra points when you spend £40, we very quickly spent £40 but we were extremely happy with what we bought as there were no naughty treats at all :rotfl:

Apart from paying for printing at our local library and 50p on a Christmas stamp at a local charity shop, that was it
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 97

Oh boy, what an AMAZING day for the princely sum of £10 :j

With the most wonderful views of St Michael's Mount and the sun shining all day, I attended my church's retreat day.

We were SO spoilt with excellent food and fellowship, it is a day that will always be SO special to me.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hmm entertainment, well I guess having such a busy family around my entertainment comes from them, I do belong to the U3A but I would guess you are a bit too young for that. But its great fun, and we do have some younger members, we have 41 different interests ans affiliations in ourbbranch so there is always some interests catered for and at £15.00 per annum its well worth the money.From walks to luncheon clubs to almost any past time you can think of .

There's always the WI, and I also belong to my local History group and go to a library affiliated book club, and as I do quite a bit of money raising for local charities there is quite a lot going on for me via coffee mornings etc. There is always the Rotary clubs or Round Table who are always doing various things

It depends what your interests are I am not a great drinker but am still pretty sociable. Being a widow, does have its drawbacks at times but its never stopped me from mmaking the most of things

Look in your local paper and see what you fancy doing Where I live there is a small free handbook that comes around about once a month through the door and it lists all the local clubs and societies that are available

Depends what your hobbies are I suppose, and what interests you have the local libraries are pretty good at telling you whats on and usually its free or maybe only the cost of a cup of tea.

My quiz night is on a Tuesday at the local Pub, also for the £2.00 entrance fee the landlords chuck in a small cooked supper as well, usually a jacket spud or pasta or bangers and chips so I never cook on a Tuesday night and I have a good night out for a couple of quid.

I also go to a history club once a week run by my old tutor from Uni and we all chuck a fiver each in the middle and we have a great two hours on what ever subject we have chosen, included is coffee and delicious home made cake. There is a lot of stuff out there and charities are always looking for helpers and how you find a network of like minded folk is often through them I support three of them locally and my problem isn't finding something to do its finding the time to do all thats available

JackieO xx
  • TM6
    Options
    JackieO wrote: »
    Hmm entertainment, well I guess having such a busy family around my entertainment comes from them, I do belong to the U3A but I would guess you are a bit too young for that. But its great fun, and we do have some younger members, we have 41 different interests ans affiliations in ourbbranch so there is always some interests catered for and at £15.00 per annum its well worth the money.From walks to luncheon clubs to almost any past time you can think of .

There's always the WI, and I also belong to my local History group and go to a library affiliated book club, and as I do quite a bit of money raising for local charities there is quite a lot going on for me via coffee mornings etc. There is always the Rotary clubs or Round Table who are always doing various things

It depends what your interests are I am not a great drinker but am still pretty sociable. Being a widow, does have its drawbacks at times but its never stopped me from mmaking the most of things

Look in your local paper and see what you fancy doing Where I live there is a small free handbook that comes around about once a month through the door and it lists all the local clubs and societies that are available

Depends what your hobbies are I suppose, and what interests you have the local libraries are pretty good at telling you whats on and usually its free or maybe only the cost of a cup of tea.

My quiz night is on a Tuesday at the local Pub, also for the £2.00 entrance fee the landlords chuck in a small cooked supper as well, usually a jacket spud or pasta or bangers and chips so I never cook on a Tuesday night and I have a good night out for a couple of quid.

I also go to a history club once a week run by my old tutor from Uni and we all chuck a fiver each in the middle and we have a great two hours on what ever subject we have chosen, included is coffee and delicious home made cake. There is a lot of stuff out there and charities are always looking for helpers and how you find a network of like minded folk is often through them I support three of them locally and my problem isn't finding something to do its finding the time to do all thats available

JackieO xx

Lots of food for thought there JackieO

I think my greatest problem though is not want to do but keeping the cost down associated with going out :o
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 98

I went with a girlfriend to see the film 'The Guernsey Literary Society And Peel Pie Club' at our local cinema. Although it has had mixed reviews, we thought it was outstanding.

Now you'd think that it cost me quite a bit but you would be wrong - I didn't spend a penny and no I wasn't treated!

I mentioned a few days back that I had paid for a year's subscription to our local cinema. As part of that membership you get two free tickets which we used today. We even had pre film drinks but I just opted for their free iced water whilst my friend paid a fiver for coffee and cake :eek:

So another NSD :dance:
  • TM6
    edited 26 April 2018 at 7:22AM
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 99

A super LSD - just 87p for a couple of Easter eggs that greatly RTC in my local Tesco. Mmmm chocolate :EasterBun
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 100

Wow - day 100 - that has flown by and it has been a pleasure to share my fast with you :D
    Thank you for being here for me whether you have posted or just read what I am up to.
    Knowing that I have to admit to what I have spent my money on, has helped me enormously as I don't want to be 'Named And Shamed' iykwim

A really awesome Bookers shop today. Out of 21 items bought, 2 were for work and 16 (yes 16 :eek:) were reduced.
    We had reductions on bread, milk, eggs as well as fruit and veg to name but a few. SO pleased :j

A few charity shop purchases some for home, some for ebay.

All in all a super day :cool:
  • TM6
    Options
    Fiscal Fast Day 101

Wednesdays, weather permitting, are car boot sale days. (if you are ever holidaying in West Cornwall, Rosudgeon is a MUST).

After Rosudgeon we did three charity shops in Pz which along with the car boot sale netted a few items to sell on ebay.

Another super day :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure