Options

Comments

• Alexland
    Alexland Posts: 9,657 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 14 January 2018 at 11:26PM
    Options
    cjv wrote: »
    I will deposit £500 and get the £100 bonus to start the ball rolling.

If you are going to use the GIA to build up large amounts of money make sure you keep good records and plan your tax position carefully.

Be aware that when Orbis do really well (which annoyingly seems to be most of the time) their performance fee structure can be more than you would be used to paying for a tracker fund on a DIY platform.

Also it is possible to overperform in a falling market so even if you lose money you might still be paying a high performance fee. But then they might underperform a rising market in which case your return would be boosted by fee refunds.
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    If you are going to use the GIA to build up large amounts of money make sure you keep good records and plan your tax position carefully.

Be aware that when Orbis do really well (which annoyingly seems to be most of the time) their performance fee structure can be more than you would be used to paying for a tracker fund on a DIY platform.

Also it is possible to overperform in a falling market so even if you lose money you might still be paying a high performance fee. But then they might underperform a rising market in which case your return would be boosted by fee refunds.

Thanks for the advice Alex, I will keep an eye on those things.

Account opened with just £100 for now, to get the bonus. Also top ups can be made by debit card which means I will get Tesco Clubcard points.... every little helps! :D
  • Alexland
    edited 15 January 2018 at 1:01AM
    Options
    Account opened with just £100 for now, to get the bonus. Also top ups can be made by debit card which means I will get Tesco Clubcard points.... every little helps! :D

Really? I missed that and thought they only used debit card for the initial contribution? Oh yes I might need to look at getting a Tesco Bank account (although I have a lot already) before filling the Junior ISA again in April. I need to be quick to get more fee-free units before the account 12 month anniversary.

So if I contribute next year's allowance of £4260 then I would get 532 Clubcard points? That's £20 on food at Pizza Express. My tiddly son loves their Bambinoccinos which count as food within the Piccolo set menu. It's about the only restaurant we can take him without him making everyone miserable. I always tip relative to the full price (and clean the floor, chairs and walls down for them) so the pinpad gives a warning that the tip is over 25% of the bill for the 2 drinks.
  • cjv
    cjv Posts: 513 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Newshound!
    Options
    Alexland wrote: »
    Really?

Yep! It's a nice little bonus and is also the reason I always make my Vanguard and Nutmeg deposits manually with my Tesco Debit Card, as they also count as a purchase and give 1 point per £8. :T
  • studentsaver_88
    Options
    Thanks will check this out
  • Alexland
    Options
    Yep! It's a nice little bonus and is also the reason I always make my Vanguard and Nutmeg deposits manually with my Tesco Debit Card, as they also count as a purchase and give 1 point per £8. :T

Thanks I have clearly missed this Tesco debit card opportunity. We also have Nutmeg LISAs to fill next tax year so if we get a joint account then £12k of JISA and LISA contributions could be £60 in Pizza Express food vouchers. Does it use the same login as the Tesco credit card account?
  • AlanP_2
    AlanP_2 Posts: 3,256 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How do you open a GIA? can only see the ISAs on their homepage.

Thanks for the heads up btw.
  • Viking_mfw
    Options
    Once you've signed up via the sign up link in the menu button the choice of GIA is there.

Thanks for the info Alexland - opened a GIA for me and a JISA for my little one - we weren't investing in one for him because we both want to retain control just in case but I'll take a punt on his behalf for £100 plus the same in free money!
  • MallyGirl
    MallyGirl Posts: 6,639 Senior Ambassador
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    start from the 'our funds' bit.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Pensions, Annuities & Retirement Planning, Loans
    & Credit Cards boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback