PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• mmharko
    mmharko Posts: 42 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Morning all, long term lurker here, very much enjoy the tread and have used many of your wonderful ideas and love using up left overs and having minimal waste, so thank you all.
    I have a large plateful of left over roast potatoes, any ideas on how to make them into another meal or two?

Many thanks
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    mmharko wrote: »
    Morning all, long term lurker here, very much enjoy the tread and have used many of your wonderful ideas and love using up left overs and having minimal waste, so thank you all.
    I have a large plateful of left over roast potatoes, any ideas on how to make them into another meal or two?

Many thanks
    I would chop them into smaller pieces and pan fry to keep the crunchiness, throw over a salad, or serve with fish or meat of your choice.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 30 June 2018 at 2:49PM
    Options
    Slice up leftover roasties and use them instead of mash on top of a shepherds pie/veggie pie, spray them with oil spray and pop in the oven for a delicious crispy topping.

Hugh FW has a recipe for a Leftover Roast Soup in one of his books, the roast potatoes might make a nice version of that too!

Additional bit because I've used some soft and over ripe gooseberries that came home from the allotment to make us a crumble and also while the oven was on I made a blueberry and cinnamon cake to use up half a punnet of blueberries that were too soft to use on their own, desserts for the whole of next week methinks!
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    pamsdish wrote: »
    I would chop them into smaller pieces and pan fry to keep the crunchiness, throw over a salad, or serve with fish or meat of your choice.

This is what I do, I've got a little pot with a few left over roasties in in my freezer now ready to use, they make a nice easy extra to a meal :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Instead of using imported lettuce (OH are they really going to fly the poor things in from the states?) I shall be making us a lovely sliced home grown courgette salad in a lemon vinaigrette dressing to go with our stir fry supper this evening and as I picked the first few raspberries from the allotment last evening and have loganberries from the garden in the fridge I shall also make a summer pudding with them as He Who Knows loves it and I have bread that needs using up.
  • pamsdish
    pamsdish Posts: 2,585 Forumite
    Options
    I have 2 courgettes to use will spiralize them and try the lemon vinaigrette instead of cucumbers, my home grown cues should be on line soon.
    Do I need it or just want it.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,956 Forumite
    Options
    Morning all - back from my holidays. Pleased to say that, after a week of self-catering on our boat, we threw very little away at the end of it. I think there were a couple of manky bits of fruit and half a bag of crisps.

You may recall that I had some salad bits in my fridge that i thought would go off while i was away (i'm afraid i was never going to make lettuce soup... :o) but am pleased to say that only a few outer lettuce leaves were composted, the rest i used up on Saturday in my salad and a couple of wrinkly tomatoes were skinned and used in a dish i made on saturday and the remainder were ok and eaten with salad over the weekend.:T I call that a bit of a result.

Back on the LFHW waggon now and tea tonight is leftovers from the pulled jackfruit dish i made on saturday (recipient of the tomatoes), DS can have a freezer something (probably bolognaise) and DD will have a veggie ready meal as she is late home from work. I bought a bbq sauce to use in the jackfruit and some leftovers of that was used to marinade chicken for our bbq yesterday.

What our holiday also demonstrated is how much less fussy DS has become with food since he went to uni. We went to one restaurant where they were serving a salad made with local foods and he ate it all :eek::T Not that long ago, anything that came with lettuce and not chips would have been dismissed out of hand.
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi Chums I cam home from my sis-in-laws with a large bag of already frozen rhubarb and half a dozen laid on Thursday eggs courtesy from her friends chooks. I gave in exchange which I took with me a large fruit cake and half a dozen cherry scones.:) We had a lovely evening out on Saturday at her local for a meal and really had a very pleasant night as we walked in to Faversham in the sunshine via the creek and came back via the high street.

2nd day of July and nothing bought so far :):) only 7 weeks until we go on holiday so I am determined to make inroads into my freezer stuff.

Try and keep cool and hydrated chums as its rather warm this afternoon

JackieO xx
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    I bought several packs of 2 little gem lettuces reduced to 15p per pack a few weeks ago, and thought I'd been too ambitious and time was running out on me, but I finished the last bit of the last one tonight with only a bit of the outer leaves going for composting :j - looking out for more lettuce bargains now :D
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Little gem are brilliant and I wrap in tin foil and keep in the veg drawer if I see them reduced ,great for going on top of crackers and soft cheese with sliced tomato and cucumber
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback