PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Love food hate Waste Part two for 2018 :)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    The last of this years gooseberries which have languished in the fridge for a few days are in the slow cooker for compote, that's because we finished the blackberry compote (oh there was lots) for breakfast this morning. I'm using the last of a pack of cooking bacon for lunch too in the form of big stuffed mushrooms and eating them at lunchtime as in this heat we aren't hungry for supper and like last night sometimes I end up with just toast as I've gone past food. Managed to give away a good picking of this years redcurrants last night, I don't need them as I've got lots of jelly already and also managed to give away lots of jam/jelly/chutney to a friend so I shan't have to move it when we do or throw it away, good!
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    My pack of YS pears which were rock hard are all ripening at once - time to get eating! The YS is brilliant but keeps you on your toes!!
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    All three varieties of beans growing in the garden are now giving us beans, runners, climbing French and dwarf fine called Ferrari. The runners and French climbers I steamed and made into a salad with lemon mayo and I used some of the courgette glut to make a warm salad with a middle eastern spice mix called Baharat, just fried sliced courgettes in a little butter and sprinkled liberally with the spice mix while they were cooking, delicious! served with half each of a lovely big jacket potato from the 9 I cooked all at once yesterday (they reheat really well) topped with slices of cheese which melted. Really nice lunch.

The fine beans will be the first of the season and we shall have them with butter and black pepper tomorrow as a starter, oh yummy!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    At quiz night last night in the pub we had a jacket spud with baked beans and cheese and the landlord buys them all at Bookers already frozen and cooks them when his partner has got the numbers at 8.00 p.m. when the quiz starts I must admit they are rather nice even though cooked from frozen.
    Tonight I have a piece of salmon from the freezer with some new jersey spuds and broccoli, with diced up fruit for pudding When its hot I seem to have less of an appetite. Trying to use stuff up if I can thats already in store
    JackieO x
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,560 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Don't you cook jackets yourself in bulk and freeze? I'm sure I've seen that on here.

Denise
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,713 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    For dinner tonight we're having risotto using what I have in stock, so a really low cost meal and lots of "bits" used up. :)

From the freezer: 2 small chicken thighs, hm chicken stock, a finely chopped red chilli and a small amount of diced orange pepper.
    From the fridge: last rasher of bacon, half a small chopped onion, 1/4 chopped yellow pepper, 2 wrinkly mushrooms, broccoli stalk.
    From the cupboard: arborio rice.

I prepped everything this morning before the sun moved around to the kitchen and it will have gone to the other side of the house by the time I come to cook so, although I'll have to stand and stir for a while, it won't be too hot.

I know there's going to be more than we'll eat tonight (I wanted to finish off the box of rice) but that's OK as I have something in mind for whatever's left. If there's a decent amount I'll be making arancini that can go in a tomato based sauce for a meal. If it's only a small amount I'll use it as a filling for stuffed peppers as a "side". Either way, it's a win-win. :D
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • VJsmum
    VJsmum Posts: 6,956 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    it is 29 degrees outside

I am dining alone

I foraged in the freezer for something to have

i am having Christmas dinner :rotfl:
    I wanna be in the room where it happens
  • Mummy2cheekymonkeys
    Options
    Our courgette plants are starting to produce so need to keep on top of using them before we are overrun. So tonight I've done courgette fritters which also used up 3 YS eggs (only another 27 to go!!) Served with some sweet chilli sauce. Absolutely delicious and cost about 10p. Pudding is homemade Victoria sponge that I made but instead of jam I made a blackcurrant filling from the blackcurrants in the garden. Tried to make it taste like a m&s blackcurrant sundae which are my fave.
  • Hopeless_Case
    Hopeless_Case Posts: 949 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Rampant Recycler
    Options
    VJsmum wrote: »
    it is 29 degrees outside

I am dining alone

I foraged in the freezer for something to have

i am having Christmas dinner :rotfl:

:rotfl::rotfl: Perfect!

I was watching an old TOTP from 1985 the other week, and for some reason they decided to show one from December of that year, so I found myself listening to Merry Christmas Everyone and Last Christmas in 30 degree heat - I didn't think of having the dinner too :D
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,515 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I'm sort of having Xmas dinner too - found some frozen lo turkey in the freezer. time for turkey curry - but I think I'm going to be lazy and use Lidl korma sauce, 89p so twice as much as my normal turkey curry recipe (onion, garlic, spices and Lidl passata) but, hey, let's push the boat out.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback