PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    elona wrote: »

Does anyone else feel they CBA to cook but don't want ready meals etc either or I am just going a bit odd?

I might just stick to simple things like porridge for breakfast, an omelette for lunch and dig round in the freezer for an evening meal for the next few days.
    Nope I don't think that's odd or if it is I'm odd too;). I generally much prefer home made food to pre-made ready meals so even if I cba cooking I tend to eat something simple and/or use up frozen portions for batch cooking. I do use pre-made elements like breaded fish or pies and enjoy a bought pizza. I also keep a couple of RMs in the freezer as a stand by in case I'm poorly so I can have a complete meal I can just nuke if needed, RMs have their place but aren't my "go to" if I can avoid it :).
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening

I thought of you today Farway :D.YS kippers in sainsb*rys from the fish counter not in a bag, I decided against them but did pick up a couple of YS salmon portions half price also black pudding, chicken thighs and corn beef so not helping with the freezer situation :cool: I'll make corn beef hash tomorrow :).

I almost overslept this morning, I must of hit my snooze button multiple times in my sleep as I have no memory of doing so until the last oh s&*t moment when I realised it was 7.30 :eek: the furry alarm was asleep at the foot of my bed I did poke it to check the battery hadn't died he wasn't amused :rotfl: I bet Sunday he will work :cool: so a bit rushed and then I had to defrost the car, I was at work for 9 but that's late for me as I usually get in for 8.30 to miss the worst of the traffic the boss was getting worried but that does him good occasionally :p

Hope you enjoyed your Indian Candy when i was a waitress (about 100 years ago :rotfl:) we would pick out the married couples as those who weren't talking to each other :rotfl:

You're not odd Elona :D i think cba days happen a lot when you CFO I like to cook but sometimes it seems an effort to do just for yourself especially if you're tired, I don't buy RM as don't like most of them but I do have HM RM often LOs today's lunch was chilli and rice from the freezer and tomorrow will be spinach and ricotta lasagna. I also keep stuff in which is quick to cook like basic cheese and tomato pizza which I can add extra toppings etc and eggs are good for a quick meal

Because my lunchtime chilli was more than a lunch size portion I wasn't very hungry tonight so I had scrambled eggs on a muffin
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • SSUPER
    SSUPER Posts: 37 Forumite
    Options
    Hello?

Hi everyone. I have been learining so much stuff here. I thought I would share a receipe from my high school cook book that I found in a box. This is what they taught us in the 1980's

Macaroni Surprise:

1 cup pasta
    40g Marg
    1 small onion
    2 mushrooms
    25g flour
    250ml milk
    50g cheese
    1 hard boiled egg
    1 tomato.

Cook the pasta, boil the egg. Then melt marg in pan add onion, mushroom, cook 3 minutes. Add flour, cook 2 minutes. Stir in milk slowly then heat this till it comes to boil. Add pasta and two thirds of cheese.

Place half this in oven dish, top with sliced hard boiled egg. Put rest of pasta in, then finish with sliced tomato and the cheese. Bake for 20 minutes @ 180.

I think the surprise was that there was hard boiled egg through it. Hope that helps someone.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    elona wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel they CBA to cook but don't want ready meals etc either or I am just going a bit odd?

I can rarely be bothered to cook; I really dislike everything about it. I even dislike being in the kitchen. As for ready meals ... at the prices most charge for them these days I don't even look at them any more! There used to always be a good range of cheapo ready meals in shops, then they cut that right down ... and replaced most of them with artisan/hand baked/premium goods with posh/modern fillings.

So, I either have to cook .... or hit the biscuits :)

Cooking everything is a massive effort for me. There's just me, only me, so it'd be super easy to simply stick to beans on toast and oven chips if I let myself slide that far. :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    SSUPER wrote: »
    I think the surprise would be .... if I bothered with all that :)

I do dislike ..... all that effort :)

I'd do it without the oven bit, so no browning ... and the rest I'd do in the microwave. Slap it on a plate and get a spoon :)

EDIT: No. No plate... I'd eat it directly from the dish I'd made it in :)
  • caronc
    Options
    Hello SSUPER
    That recipe takes me straight back to Home Ec at school though ours had a very, very small amount of cooked ham in it so rumour was the "surprise" was finding a piece of meat in your portion:rotfl:
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    When I was out I bought a 4-pack of bread rolls (half price sticker/dated tomorrow) and a pack of 6 tomatoes... so I just made up two of the rolls with a tomato apiece, then wrapped them in foil and tossed them in the fridge... so there's some instant food for sometime in the next 24 hours... who knows if I'll fancy that at midnight, 3am, for breakfast or lunch tomorrow.

Tomorrow ... I'll knock up a couple of egg/tomato ones, or maybe cheese/tomato, or cheese/egg, or cheese/egg/tomato .... look at me with all my choices :) Whatever goes into them I'll wrap them and toss them into the fridge.... I simply couldn't face doing four tonight.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

The sun is shining and the wind has died down so some gardening beckons. Many layers will be needed though as it still chilly.
    Soup with crackers & cheese for lunch and tonight I'll use up the remaining gammon with an egg, veg and fried spuds.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I had the last of a (stale) baguette with some vegan cheese and ketcup and mustard. It wasn't that nice, but I was hungry.

Just had a packet of french fry crisps and some water.

I'm having salad, tofu and marinated mushrooms for lunch. Need something healthy!

Brambling wrote: »
    Hope you enjoyed your Indian Candy when i was a waitress (about 100 years ago :rotfl:) we would pick out the married couples as those who weren't talking to each other :rotfl:

:D

We still talk to each other when we go out and we have been together longer than 25 years!:cool:
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Welcome SSUPER:hello:

Another glorious day outside, sun's not quite at right angle to warm the conservatory enough for me to sit out there without extra heat

L's have more stock in today, loads of YS diced beef, the good, not too fatty, type. Two packs of that, BBE is tomorrow so time to think about use or freeze it

Lunch was another BLT sarnie
    caronc wrote: »
    Good evening everyone,
    Good result on the braising steak front Farway, I hope you enjoyed it It was lovely thanks, and some left for another day

Cotoneaster has been (temporarily) tamed but my was it chilly in the garden, my hands and face were numb when I came back in. I was very glad of my mug of pea & ham to warm me up:D. While I was pruning I managed to lose my balance and topple over, bumped rather than hurt myself but of course managed to knock over the cuttings bucket and scatter the contents over an unduly large area for the amount there was :o:o. Thankfully no one could see my inelegant sprawl, though any passerbys might have heard [STRIKE]swearing[/STRIKE] muttering through the fence:rotfl::rotfl:. Still no major harm done and the cuttings are now safely in the wheelie bin. :D

I had a laugh at this image, I've done similar myself, cutting a hedge and just tumbled into it:o

Dinner is salad day, salmon fillet out defrosting, spud salad made using the LO baby spuds, including this year's first produce from garden, chives:D

If I CBA I may go poncy and grate a carrot to tart it up

You did well in Sainsbugs BramblingBlack pudding envy coming on

Someone mentioned beef & mushrooms? Set me thinking about my YS diced beef, I've got everything available to make it, but because I've braised beef LO, and stew overload I think I'll end up freezing the YS diced beef I bought this morning

A committed MSE Kitchen God would of course make it & freeze, but CFO = CBA for now
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback