PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Kippers the gift that keeps on giving :eek: I find it's not just the smell that lingers but the taste too :cool:

PN hopefully not too big a bill :(.

I'm not sure if it's me but the dentist seems to lay you flatter than they use to Caronc when I had to see another dentist at the practice I was told I had a big warning on my notes that I have low blood pressure and to make sure I sit awhile before standing :o the dentist is one of the few places that I have problems because I'm too flat I think. I can't imagine the issues it gives you :(

Busy day In the office which does make it go faster :D I was lazy lunchtime and gossip rather than taking a walk

It seemed a good idea last night to take salad for lunch rather than something from the freezer :cool: when it came to eating it I really didn't want it, I found some crackers in my drawer so I picked at the salad mainly eating the egg and cheese with the crackers. Dinner was the LO Singapore noodles not quite as good as last night but still really tasty and a good way of finishing the pork
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »

I'm not sure if it's me but the dentist seems to lay you flatter than they use to Caronc when I had to see another dentist at the practice I was told I had a big warning on my notes that I have low blood pressure and to make sure I sit awhile before standing :o the dentist is one of the few places that I have problems because I'm too flat I think. I can't imagine the issues it gives you :(
    Yes definitely flatter than it it used to be (maybe stops folk legging it mid treatment):rotfl:. Tbh my practice is pretty decent at not completely lowering the chair and I've "got them trained" re going back slowly, just need to practice on not returning me from almost horizontal to vertical too quickly which remains in the "could do better" marking;), though overall they are very good and trying very hard to "get it" which I really appreciate.:) Getting into the place is another matter, no steps but the stiffest, most awkward door imaginable and then the hurdle of the door lip..........:eek:
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Result!

Tried my new wooden toaster tongs just now, as I toasted a single crumpet. They work a treat!

Going to pick up a couple more when I am in £land next ... ideal Xmas presents for my two siblings ... one who is "dangerous"/careless ... and the other one who is a "finger poker". I bet both of them need to hook things out of their toasters and probably just burn their fingers through general carelessness. :)
  • caronc
    Options
    Excellent PN - I have a pair from the kiddies "kitchen tools utensil" at IKEA and they are fab for toaster poking. I use all the other bits too- https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/children-3-7/toys-play/duktig-5-piece-toy-kitchen-utensil-set-multicolour-art-80130168/ and at £2.50 for the lot well worth the price as they are really sturdy.:)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Excellent PN - I have a pair from the kiddies "kitchen tools utensil" at IKEA and they are fab for toaster poking. I use all the other bits too- https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/children-3-7/toys-play/duktig-5-piece-toy-kitchen-utensil-set-multicolour-art-80130168/ and at £2.50 for the lot well worth the price as they are really sturdy.:)
    LOL. Great, if they do the job.

Ikea's about 20 miles from me or so. I did go once, when I bought this house.... and meant to go back, but have never got round to it. I bought the kiddies' beaker set, which is what I mostly drink my cold drinks from. Like this, but mine were cheerier colours https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/children-3-7/childrens-tableware/kalas-mug-multicolour-art-30421297/

I should go again.... but I keep putting it off. It'd be nice if I could go with somebody, but my one friend has a small dog ... so that restricts things like when we could go as she doesn't like leaving her dog home alone at all, so then "is it dog friendly" and it's not, naturally.

I do want a rug... and you've just reminded me that they do rugs... so I'll look through at Ikea rugs and if there's something I fancy then I'll take a trip over there :) Car battery needs a good blast, so that'd be ideal.
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    Had crumpets n a coffee , with Mum, in Morrison's cafe this aft, then HM spicy tomato n lentil soup, with crunchy rolls for tea :p
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • caronc
    Options
    Yeah definitely worth a visit if you have a list PN.:) I used to have (still have a couple ) those beakers and they are great. The missing ones didn't break but "moved out" with my kids LOL and as far as I know still going strong:D. I have a good few IKEA bits in my home and all have been good buys. Though the mini catcus that grew & grew & grew and would now need a removal team wearing gauntlets to get it out my conservatory is perhaps another story:rotfl::rotfl: (Though in fairness I've had it for 15 + years and it was quite well behaved for the first 5 :cool:)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    I have a good few IKEA bits in my home and all have been good buys.

I've only been half a dozen times in my life. First about 1991, bought two sofas and 3 sets of drawers and a Billy bookcase. Had to get rid of some of those over the years, due to moving house - I wanted to minimise stuff going into storage else the cost of storage is greater than the cost of buying new items again.... shame, they were good items. The sofas were brill and I'd love to find that design again, but no shops sell that design... it's a bit like: remove all your current sofa cushions, bum and backs, then take a double duvet and chuck it over the sofa. That was a great design.

In 2007 I had moved and wanted some storage, so picked up a couple of wooden storage boxes, they were £7 at the time, a good price. Since then they rocketed. They're not for sale at Ikea any more (that I can find) ... but you can get them on ebay at £29-44!!! staggering. They were kids' toy storage boxes and strong enough for little bums (which includes mine) to sit on ... although I've never used one as a seat, it's nice to know they are sturdy.
    They're these: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ikea-Wooden-Storage-Box-White/dp/B006UV1OI0
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Shame IKEA no longer do the box you like PN, maybe if you go to the store you'll see something similiar.
    It's trying to be sunny and trying to rain this morning! If the rain holds off I want to prune a cotoneaster, I didn't cut it back in the Autumn to maximise the berries as the birds love them. The berries have al been scoffed now so it's needs pruning as it has ambitions to take over the world:rotfl:.
    It will be soup again for lunch with crispbreads and cheese. Tonight I'm going to make a ham & mushroom sauce for pasta using a tin of condensed soup. There will be more sauce than I need so that will probably get frozen.
  • PasturesNew
    edited 14 February 2019 at 3:21PM
    Options
    I'd picked up a 500g pack of minced beef, half price, best before 3 December and frozen it. I popped that into the fridge to defrost the night before yesterday. Just browned that, then into the SC with 2-3 small onions, some of the peppers I'd bought half price/frozen, tin of mixed beans, tin of baked beans ... and emptied the remaining chilli powder in there....

That'll do nicely. With basmati no doubt.... or, I might make another cheesy mashed topped/browned chilli pie from it ... or that might happen tomorrow, as I do still have a bag of half price spuds to get through.

EDIT: Well, that went down a treat. Couldn't wait any longer, so served a portion at 2pm... with rice and topped with a bit of grated cheddar. Left the pot cooking for now.

With onion, peppers, beans, mixed beans.... it must be close to that mythical "5"
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback