PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Wednesday2000
    Options
    Smoothie for breakfast and then to the dentist again for a check up and filling. Dentist said I had to make another appointment for the filling. !!!!!!.:mad::rotfl: I have to go back there again in a couple of weeks.

Succumbed to a baguette again from Coop and had it with PB when I got home.:)

Really warm and bright out today! Lovely.:A

Pie, chips, veg and gravy for dinner tonight.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,234 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 14 February 2019 at 3:39PM
    Options
    Frosty start to the day, lovely & Spring like now

Still had porridge for breakfast, not quite as kippery this morning

Into town for mooch & general top up stuff

Thursday is always good YS day in my Iceland, 3 x 400g packs of lean [5% fat] mince, half price @ £1.25. I've had their mince before it's fine, especially at that price. For the freezer standby

Dinner was planned to be salmon fillet with salad etc, but Asda provided YS braising steak, wish fulfillment time, into trolley, along with a couple of YS Kate & Sidney Pukka pies fro freezing

W/rose provided YS lunches, posh streaky bacon

Lunch was some of the YS streaky, in a BLT sarnie

Dinner is the YS braising steak, with onions etc, I've added a sachet of "casserole mix" I had knocking about

Prepping the steak made me clean my manky pot to use it again, been soaking since last week, idle s0d:o

I'll have cabbage & mash with it, with LO for bubble & sqeak maybe
    Result!

Tried my new wooden toaster tongs just now, as I toasted a single crumpet. They work a treat!

Going to pick up a couple more when I am in £land next ... ideal Xmas presents for my two siblings ... one who is "dangerous"/careless ... and the other one who is a "finger poker". I bet both of them need to hook things out of their toasters and probably just burn their fingers through general carelessness. :)

I went in £land this morning for the wooden tongs, a big hole where they should've been. Only had the metal kill me quick type in stock:(
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    I went in £land this morning for the wooden tongs, a big hole where they should've been. Only had the metal kill me quick type in stock:(

Well, at least you know they exist there.... and so you might spot them in the coming weeks, preferably you spot them before you accidentally kill yourself poking about for a small YS crumpet.... "cause of death: extreme pauperism". :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    About an hour after lunch, I gave the chilli another stir... although I was really doing that as an excuse to have a bit more, so I half filled a mug and topped it with cheddar.

A further hour on and I had another little stir ... and the obligatory little taste. OMG it was gorgeous when I had the first portion, it's even BETTER now. I'll probably leave it on another hour, just because I CBA to decant it yet... and then I'll decant it for the fridge. Not a lot left really ...
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    No CFO for me tonight.Am off out for a Valentine's Indian , with my girlies :j:beer::j
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    candygirl wrote: »
    No CFO for me tonight.Am off out for a Valentine's Indian , with my girlies :j:beer::j

I'd not.... you'll be surrounded by all the doey-eyed mob :)
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    I'd not.... you'll be surrounded by all the doey-eyed mob :)

We went last year, n 90% of the couples were sitting there, hardly even speaking to each other :rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 14 February 2019 at 8:27PM
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    Good result on the braising steak front Farway, I hope you enjoyed it
    Chilli sounds very moreish PN
    Hope you enjoy your "girls night" CG
    Cotoneaster has been (temporarily) tamed but my was it chilly in the garden, my hands and face were numb when I came back in. I was very glad of my mug of pea & ham to warm me up:D. While I was pruning I managed to lose my balance and topple over, bumped rather than hurt myself but of course managed to knock over the cuttings bucket and scatter the contents over an unduly large area for the amount there was :o:o. Thankfully no one could see my inelegant sprawl, though any passerbys might have heard [STRIKE]swearing[/STRIKE] muttering through the fence:rotfl::rotfl:. Still no major harm done and the cuttings are now safely in the wheelie bin. :D

Just pasta to cook and some cheese to grate to go with the sauce I made from mushrooms, garlic, peppers, spring onion, corn, spinach, ham and tin of condensed mushroom soup mixed with some milk. There's lots of sauce so I'll freeze the spare unmixed with pasta and I can use it up as feel like if I fancy making a pie or using as a baked spud filling. :)
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    I don't want to gloat, but I find it way too satisfying :)
    Just popped into £land.... full hook of the tongs, about a dozen of them. Bought two to set aside as gifts for siblings when I next see them (which might not be this year, but there's no hurry).

:)

I'm home with more sweeties than food.

Food: pack of four bread rolls, pack of 6 tomatoes.

Sweeties: Pack of chocolate oaties; bar of turkish delight; chocolate fudge cake; two packs of chocolates :)
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I had porridge for breakfast and some cooked chicken in a roll for lunch. Tonight I had a bit more chicken. a mug of soup and a roll with a small finger of fudge (as the adverts put it)

I have some sweets and chocolate I ordered online and have put them in a lidded plastic bowl out of the way but strangely don't feel tempted by any of it at the moment. The idea of me not being hungry or not scoffing everything in or out of sight is unheard of. Maybe I am tired as did not sleep well last night.

Does anyone else feel they CBA to cook but don't want ready meals etc either or I am just going a bit odd?

I might just stick to simple things like porridge for breakfast, an omelette for lunch and dig round in the freezer for an evening meal for the next few days.

Older dd, sil and baby are coming round on Sunday so I will use the beef and mushrooms I cooked and froze to make a pie with green veg and mash or roasties. If SIL is still going veggie I have some quorn items for him with mash, roasties and green veg. Not sure if other dd, fiance and other dd are coming or not but the pie can stretch to feed at least four and can put more quorn in the oven etc.

I think the small freezer in the conservatory might have had the door slightly open at some point so will go through it tomorrow and check everything out.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family