PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 November 2018 at 1:34PM
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    I have to confess I am also dieting but mine involves avoiding carbs and I'm doing it conjunction with a programme run by my gym. So Money, you are actually eating exactly the foods I'm avoiding! Apart from the eggs, that is. Even the fruit is currently restricted to berries.

Seems like both approaches work.

Wonder which of us gets to celebrate getting there first....

I was trying on some of the clothes I'm waiting to get back into again this morning to incentivise myself.

It doesn't help when people these days look me up and down disbelievingly when I say that I'm on a diet and go "Go on....you don't need to". Oh yes I do.......when I was measuring out the "distance" to button the waist at a rather smart skirt of mine I'm waiting to get back into and it's got about 6" to go before I can do that button up again and wear it.

So - whilst I'm wearing "modern era" clothes labelled size 14 okay - I'm 6" away from wearing that size 14 skirt I think I must have bought in my 30's (ie the 1980s). At least I can date that skirt pretty precisely - as I bought it whilst I was contemplating retraining to swop from a job to a career.
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,512 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Wonder which of us gets to celebrate getting there first....

It doesn't help when people these days look me up and down disbelievingly when I say that I'm on a diet and go "Go on....you don't need to".

Well no one would look me up and down and say I don't need to, so I reckon you will definitely be the winner of that particular race.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,081 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Good evening everyone,

I hope your tradesman eventually arrived bouicca21
    I've had a bit of a change of plan food wise, it's turned into a foul day so I fancied something hot for lunch rather than salad. I warmed up some of the roasted veg in a wrap with some grated cheese and sour cream and very tasty it was too:) so that will be lunch again tomorrow. Instead of pasta tonight I'm having a sausage & mushroom casserole with savoy cabbage and root veg mash.
  • Carnoc that roasted veg wrap sounds lovely, I’m currently also heating up some roasted veg but my wrap will be with Hallomi and chilli sauce.

I went food shopping last night so picked up a pizza from the chiller cabinets, Chilli Prawn. It’s been at least a month since I last had pizza which is going well for me. Last year I was having pizza once a week.

Today’s lunch was 2 tea cakes and 2 clementines, they were yellow labelled. I’ll finish the remainder of the tea cakes tomorrow lunch time and the clementines will see me though the weekend.
  • caronc
    Carnoc that roasted veg wrap sounds lovely, I’m currently also heating up some roasted veg but my wrap will be with Hallomi and chilli sauce.
    Sounds good :D
  • I'd have been there as well with my knife and fork in hand for that roasted veg wrap Caron - sounds like my sorta food.

I "pay my way" - I bring a bottle of wine with me....:)
  • caronc
    I'd have been there as well with my knife and fork in hand for that roasted veg wrap Caron - sounds like my sorta food.

I "pay my way" - I bring a bottle of wine with me....:)
    Dunno Money I think you might want to "chap" on GrowingPlants' door:rotfl:- halloumi definitely has the edge over grated cheese (for me anyway):).
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,118 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    Well no one would look me up and down and say I don't need to, so I reckon you will definitely be the winner of that particular race.

I'm afraid I fall under the same category as you Bouicca :( I've hit a plateau weight wise at the moment but at least It's not going back on :) total lost so far is 23lbs :T I would really like to lose 2 stone by Christmas so I'm going to have to start eating the veg currently sitting in my fridge :D. I think we all have to find what suits us best weight loss wise in the end it all boils down to eating less calories than we burn off, although I don't calorie count :) I have all the theories, it's putting them into practice I have problems with. Living alone doesn't help as I graze during the evening it's only mouth hunger not actual hunger :cool:

Wednesday hope you've kept the germs at bay :). And Caronc I hope you're feeling more yourself :)

I've just done a fridge audit whilst my dinner was cooking I think the veg has been multiplying :cool: i was led astray by YS today :rotfl: I did use the last of the red cabbage to make a quick pickle cabbage I threw in some radish and chilli :). I need to carefully think my menu plan this week as I don't want to buy any meat or fish I will shop from my freezer. Soup for next week lunches I think

Lunch was a repeat of yesterday HM scotch egg with salad, dinner was a small vension steak from the freezer with lots of veg it was a YS supermarket steak so not so good as my usual farmers market local meat :cool:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Well, I'm back from London, working with the team from Shrouds of the Somme at the Queen Elizabeth Olympic Park. I was on-site for 11 hours yesterday, doing back-to-back media interviews, surviving on 2 cups of coffee, a bottle of juice and half a Starbucks cheese and tuna toastie.
    It was bloody nuts, but good fun. But then unfortunately, because my brain was full of all this, I barely slept. Maybe getting about 3 hours in, between 3 and 6am.
    Then I was back on site for another couple of hours this morning, before getting the train home. Then 2 hours of tutoring. Now waiting for a phone call from BBC Radio Kent who want to do a piece live during their 9-10pm show. They wanted to talk to Rob Heard, the artist behind the Shrouds, but he was busy. So it's little old me instead. But actually I'd rather just go to bed!

Also, while over-caffeinated this morning, I agreed to do a day's supply teaching tomorrow, at a school I don't know at all. I'd personally rather not, but it's good money.

Back down to the Shrouds on Sunday for Armistice Day, and probably some more media bits while I'm there. Whereas I'm actually hoping to meet up with a relative!

I know this is all a bit "my diamond shoes are too tight", but I'm far more knackered than I thought I was going to be!!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 8 November 2018 at 10:40PM
    Brambling - congrats on the weight loss so far. That's a noticeable amount:T. These darn plateaus are very frustrating. I gather recent advice on Slimming World (though it may be of the "informal" variety) is to "wake up the sleeping metabolism" that thinks "Oh dear - they're starving me. Conserve weight...conserve weight" by feeding it a fair-size normal meal or maybe even a "day off" (eg my DOD - Day Off Diet days I sometimes have). Then the metabolism thinks "Oh good - she's not starving me after all. I'm safe to lose some more weight" and the weight loss starts off again.

Well - that's the theory I've read anyway and I'm inclined to think it might be the case (whatever type of diet one is on).

I know a way of thinking I'm telling myself now is "Why did I let them upset me so? - and then proceed to console myself with a glass of wine....which led to another glass of wine etc?". I can see, in hindsight, that I shouldn't be too hard on myself that I let That Darn Employer I had to go in and work for for so many years (ie the Civil Service) get to me like they did.

Then after I retired - it was a couple of years of Those Bl**dy Neighbours from Hell after I moved here and the same happened again - ie consoling myself with "a glass of wine...another glass of wine".

Whatever is causing the excess calorie consumption (which will probably vary between us as to the cause) then I'm coming to the conclusion "We shouldnt let them do that to us...." and drive us to whatever-it-is (be it wine/junk food/whatever it is that we don't really need or want to have ourselves). If we do let them drive us to whatever-it-is = we've let them "inside our head to bother us" twice over iyswim.

I'm working on the positive thinking bit of visualising myself walking down the street or wherever in one of the new dresses I have in mind to buy. They are of the pretty "fitted" type and will show off the nice flat stomach and midriff I will have once again. Visualising myself feeling pleased at having a stomach and midriff like that once again. Encouraging myself that way. Well - I don't want to go round flaunting the boobs (as I "might" have done....ahem...when younger...these days). But flaunting flat stomach and midriff - nowt wrong with that LOL.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback