PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 17 August 2018 at 10:03PM
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    The split one is chefs perks :D you have to sample before letting others try them :rotfl:
    This is a CFO thread... there are no "others" :)

I'd even it up though.... and work out how many to eat so I had the portion sizes right with those remaining. That might mean eating 2, to bring it down to 9, or 3, to bring it down to 8 ... or six might be a good number so eat 5.

There are 4 of us tomorrow so I hoped for 12 might just have to "take one for the team" beforehand to make sure they pass muster (and I get and even number). They are only for a nibble before dinner so 2 plus a couple of spares should be fine- it seems stingy (mean) only to take 8 IFYSWIM so 10 seems like a good compromise;)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,166 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    There are 4 of us tomorrow so I hoped for 12 might just have to "take one for the team" beforehand to make sure they pass muster (and I get and even number). They are only for a nibble before dinner so 2 plus a couple of spares should be fine- it seems stingy (mean) only to take 8 IFYSWIM so 10 seems like a good compromise;)

It's a difficult job but someone has to do it :D
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 18 August 2018 at 7:23AM
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    Sitting with a large G & T and Cba to cook :beer: work was a little :mad::mad: my manager and I had to stay late to fix someone else's c*ck up as it was Friday night and he needed to go :huh: big mistakes made because he didn't listen, thought he knew best and had a 'so what' attitude to disabling users by mistake. 4 weeks and counting before he leaves I can't wait I did tell him a few home truths but it was water off a ducks back, none of the mistakes he made were his fault :mad:

Glad that at least you enjoyed the company Money if not the lunch, I like honest friends who are prepared to tell you when something doesn't suit, although I've been told that I can be tactless when I'm too honest :rotfl: good luck with the weight lost I have managed to lose 12lb, I was worried when the hot weather left that it would go back on but still losing if a little slower than I like, free carrot cake today at work didn't help I think the boss thought feed her before she commits murder :rotfl:

I bet you'll be hanging out the flags Brambling when that particular co-worker leaves:cool: I get annoyed at people saying things arent their fault - when they clearly are and they must surely know they are:cool: I think that sounds like a "bottle of champagne occasion" when he walks out the door at last.

Well - yes the "honest friend" was distinctly scathing about the dress:rotfl:. Re other peoples clothes - I work on the basis of "keep my mouth shut (but I wouldnt mind betting my attempts to keep a neutral face give me away....)" when it comes to what other people are wearing if I don't like it. If I say I like it/think it suits them - they know I'll really mean it and not just be saying it. Guess that particular friend likes me being that way - as I got taken with them to buy a particularly "important" hat to go with dress (ie the wedding of one of their adult children). They were duly persuaded into buying a different colour hat to what they had had in mind and the most flattering hat I could spot of the ones they tried on. I don't do "meaningless compliments" to "fit in" - so, if I say something is nice and/or suits a person they can be sure it's what I'm really thinking.

Right - time for morning porridge and no fancy additions to it - just some fresh fruit on top (but no "fancy" stuff added into the porridge and no seeds on top) - in line with what I worked out as a basic Slimming World way of eating to suit me back when...:(. I could do with being taller than I am - but at my height (about 5'2") then I don't want any "spare inches". Sighs at the thought of being "tall and elegant". But my short little mother manages "elegant" - so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility for a short woman to do elegant - I've got my eye on that as a target...
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I can never manage elegant:rotfl:, though I scrub up ok if I put my mind to it!:cool:
    Still wet & miserable here so doubt we'll be able to enjoy the stunning views from my friend's garden later. They live up a hill and on a clear day you can see a fair whack of the the clyde coast and overland the Galloway hills but it will just be murky today.
    "Took one for the team" and sampled the split filo bite for breakfast. It was was scrummy:D
    Lunch I think will be scrambled eggs and I've no idea what we are having tonight but I'm sure it will be lovely.:)
    Options
    Well - one supermarket visit later and bought myself some of the stuff I ate back when - ie when I did a Slimming World diet a couple of times before. Also bought latest copy of their magazine.

Now I'm hoping they've updated their recipes to include ingredients that have only come on the scene in the last few years - because I have:rotfl: - though I doubt it.

So - I've emerged with things like some quorn products (which I don't buy normally), canned potatoes (ditto), canned baked beans (ditto), eggs (not bought for a while).

Bananas can still be used for adapted "nicecream" recipes (and bananas are "free food" on the Old Style Green Plan), potatoes are free food (ditto). Courgette - well one can still eat courgetti (ie spaghetti made with courgettes) - which wasnt around back when I did this before.

I'm guessing I can chuck in things like dried mushrooms, pomegranite molasses (I hope....), balsamic vinegar, etc for more flavour than there was in this diet last time round.

Not quite got my head "in gear" yet to recall just what sort of things I had for lunch - but seem to remember I was allowed to have two more slices of bread at lunchtime (as well as my 2 slices of breakfast toast) as long as I keep dinner "Syn-free". That was what I opted to do last time - hence struggles to get "taste" into it. So looks like lunch will be a quorn "fake chicken" sandwich and fresh fruit.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    ....If I say I like it/think it suits them - they know I'll really mean it and not just be saying it. .... I don't do "meaningless compliments" to "fit in" - so, if I say something is nice and/or suits a person they can be sure it's what I'm really thinking.
    Me neither. I say it as I see it. I think people like it really ... although some do get huffy. Why would they not want an honest answer???

Last time I was asked, it was about a particularly unflattering skirt. Friend put it on and asked "what is it like?" and I genuinely said "Your 4rse looks big in that; lovely skirt ... but it's not flattering or even honest from behind".

She was pleased and didn't buy it.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Not eaten anything yet today. Been busy online shopping ... not for much, but I am rubbish at shopping, so it takes literally hours to buy the simplest of tiny inconsequential things.

I've now got a wall clock and some curtain rings winging their way to me :)

I did go into the kitchen to cook food... I went through thinking sausages, beans, hash browns ... I've no eggs. But when I got there, there was heaps of washing up to do, so I thought I'd better wash up before I cooked... and, having washed up, I was bored of being in the kitchen, so left.

I'll go back some time in the next hour and cook up those items.
    Options
    Me neither. I say it as I see it. I think people like it really ... although some do get huffy. Why would they not want an honest answer???

Last time I was asked, it was about a particularly unflattering skirt. Friend put it on and asked "what is it like?" and I genuinely said "Your 4rse looks big in that; lovely skirt ... but it's not flattering or even honest from behind".

She was pleased and didn't buy it.

:rotfl: I do try and edge in the "Well - I prefer x on you direction. The colour of x suits you and style would be rather useful for such-and-such as well".

That's what I did with the hat that time - ie more along the lines of "Yes....it's a nice hat... but I think that one looks good on you and goes better with the dress".
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    :rotfl: I do try and edge in the "Well - I prefer x on you direction. The colour of x suits you and style would be rather useful for such-and-such as well".

That's what I did with the hat that time - ie more along the lines of "Yes....it's a nice hat... but I think that one looks good on you and goes better with the dress".

I've no eye for what's better ... I just know what I am looking at and can only comment on what's before my eyes :)

I can't buy my own clothes as I have no eye for what's good/not etc... but I can spot a roaring fail on others.
  • flubberyzing
    flubberyzing Posts: 1,386 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Afternoon all, long time no see!

I've got a late lunch in the oven. A pesto-covered chicken breast, a potato into wedges and a bit of broccoli ready to nuke in the micro in a few minutes.
    I got a packet of baking potatoes from Lidl yesterday, and was thinking I'd just have half a potato with my lunch, but the first one I got out the bag was so pathetically small, I'm just having the whole thing!
    Because it's fun to have money!
    £0/£70 August GC
    £68.35/£70 July GC
    January-June 2019 = £356.94/£420
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills