PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Bit of a cold/wet morning here! It's raining.... grey... cold.... nasty. It's like winter.

Just grabbed a takeaway box and boxed up a salad of coleslaw, corned beef, tomatoes, cucumber and boiled egg.... which is now ready in the fridge to be grabbed on a whim :)

The corned beef needs to be eaten today really (dated yesterday on the pack) ... so, even though it's cold/nasty, I have to eat a cold salad :(

Couldn't have made hash with it as I've not bought/had spuds for nearly 2 months.... as it was hot. I've also no onions and opening a tin of spuds wouldn't have worked as there's only 2 slices of corned beef and the tins of spuds are large.... and so I'd have ended up making a potato salad with the remainder, which isn't what I fancy.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,101 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    God morning everyone,

Dry here at the moment but very breezy with more rain due this afternoon. I'm going to assume the forecast is correct and nip out and pick beans and feed the toms & cues shortly.
    LO salad for lunch and a corned beef stew tonight which will use up various bits.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,267 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Clocking back in after my [far] away days. Geddit?
    Mostly went well, had sit down fish & chips in proper chippy, with mushy peas of course. Avoided pasty this time
    Never got round to cream tea on the Ho in the sunshine, that one is still on the "to do" list

Rain here, pouring, nothing needed so stayed in & catching up.
    The eco bits can be double edged, found a drowned frog in my tea leaves bucket:( I'll keep it covered from now on, goodness knows how it managed to hop in there

After cooked breakfasts I'm back to nuked porridge, banana, honey & HM yoghurt
    Lunch was back to PB baguette, cheese & salady bits

Dinner, looking like eggs & chips

On way home went into eat near Wimbourne, very nice bacon sarnie & a cuppa BTW.
    They had a Farm Shop attached, selling extra large free range eggs, 1.45 for 6, bit dearer than L's but lot less than some I've seen. I'm trying two of them out tonight & hoping they are not as disappointing as my previous foray into "posh eggs"
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

Farway, hope you enjoyed your hols. It's hard to beat a "fish tea" in a proper chippy - hope you had a cuppa & some bread & butter to make a butty with it.:) One of our local chippies does a fab one, but the portions are massive. I used to take the kids when they were younger for a treat during the summer hols if we had been to the beach, one "fish tea" with extra drinks & bread & butter did the three of us. :eek:(And we all have good appetites,) They have fab ice cream as well and the kids always used to get a '99 cone each with raspberry sauce for pud. It was a cheap meal out for 3:)
    Maybe froggie thought the tea leaves were lily pads.....

On the subject of summer holidays, it's the kids last day off tomorrow as school is back on Monday. Although we might still get some good weather it always feels a bit like summer is over when the schools go back. Autumn is definitely marching in here, most of my baskets are on their last legs so there will be lots of composting needed doing in the next few weeks:(. That said the 119 pansy plugs in my conservatory are absolutely leaping on so they should be ready to go out in a few weeks:)

The weather has been very mixed here spells of warm sunshine but lots of torrential rain and some hail. I did manage to get some bits done and got a good haul of veggies - a huge mixing bowl full of beans (broad, runner & french), a courgette, a cucumber and another kilo+ of toms:D.

LO Salad Nicoise was had for lunch and I'm just heading to chop veg for my corned beef [STRIKE]bung-it-in[/STRIKE] stew. There will be stew spare but I'll freeze what's left so it will be a very :money:meal based on 3 slices of corned beef:)
  • PasturesNew
    edited 16 August 2018 at 10:27PM
    Options
    Today I had a salad.... corned beef, boiled egg, tomatoes, cucumber, coleslaw.

Later I had the last of the chilli, served with basmati rice and topped with grated cheese.

And then .... I got to thinking ... I have no sweeties ... and finally snapped! Dashed to £land for my favourite chocs (which they've not stocked since Xmas but had in again last week) .. only to discover no stock. Well. . . I couldn't walk away empty handed, so I grabbed a bag of 10 mini Crunchie bars. :) As you do ...

Six eaten already :)

EDIT: And there goes the 7th :)
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Welcome back Farway - and my fig tree has now got 15 figs on it (through from bud type stage up to more obvious fruit stage). Not bad I guess - as it had 2 when it arrived.

I repotted it on for the 2nd time the other day and hope the rest of the (now overdue) compost hurries up and turns up - as it's now in final (ie HUGE) pot.

Right - got my lunch out with friends today. It seems to be being arranged basically around "treat for Money" type idea and one of them has booked venue I know they all like/invited the others in the group. Am not expecting to think much of the food - as they like the venue for its "friendliness" - and I'm more inclined to choose food venues for their food and can recall leaving half my meal when I tried it out myself some time back. Fingers crossed the food has improved since then (it can't have got much worse:rotfl:) - but just enjoy the company eh...
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Hope you enjoy your lunch MTSTM for the company if not maybe the food!
    Wet, dull, windy and decidedly chilly here this morning, I think the bin will be as far as I'm straying.
    I'm planning a "potter in the kitchen with the radio on" kind of day, I have a lot of beans to process for the freezer and want to make some "nibbles" to take to my friends tomorrow. I'm thinking filo bites and some spiced roasted chickpeas will go nicely with a G&T before dinner:D and will use up some lurking bits.
    Lunch I think will be a toasted bagel with avocado, cucumber, tomato and cream cheese and tonight either baked pollock or a naan pizza.
  • Farway
    Options
    Sun is back with us, but I think the rain & wind have finished off my beans. I'll let them go to seed & think about next year's options
    Does anyone know if own dried runner seeds re usable in say stews, or is a one of those good ideas that is really just a load of faff boiling up etc for something that will sit forever in a cupboard?

Back into routine today, into L's nothing YS to tempt, but needed bananas and salad bits.
    Later into the Co-op, needed loose leaf tea & I prefer theirs for bog standard drinking, and ethical bits, but also found offer of dark choc Kit Kat, 9 pack, two finger, £1. I fell for the temptation:o

Lunch was back to Black Forest ham, new pack opened, plus tempted by white sliced Farmhouse from Co-op, with salad bits, and another of my figs, ripening quickly now

Dinner, I'm in use up, probably LO PB baguette with chunky fish fingers inside, and tartare sauce from a jar
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Breakfast: 1 treat sized Crunchie.
    Lunch: A cheese topped roll & margarine + 1 treat sized Crunchie.

Bag's empty now .... 800 calories. Tip: only ever check calories AFTER you've eaten something, in case the knowledge prevents full enjoyment.

Not sure what to eat later.
  • Farway
    Options
    Dinner decided, it will be the jumbo fish fingers in a PB baguette, with tartare sauce, and maybe a finger or two of dark choc Kit Kat now they are there

Yesterday's rain bought me more windfalls, shame my blackberries are manky, but apple crumble is fine. My unknown variety apple is looking great this year, big red apples, like you'd give to Snow White, not quite ripe.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback