PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    :rotfl: at your father "liberating" food Caron.

When I was living back in my home area I knew it was a risky business to make bread on any day my mother was visiting. She would be out there in the kitchen and one of my two loaves of bread I'd just made would soon go out the door with her:rotfl:
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,132 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I was kind of hoping no smell no dead creature Caronc but if they are there again tomorrow it's the turn of the lounge and dining room to have everything pulled out and checked behind and under

I cooked the bream fillets and they were lovely, not sure if they were meant to be served with crackers :cool: but they were good crackers :D. They came with chervil and lemon butter so I decided I had worked off the calories so cooked in half of what they provided. I picked up a nonstick frying pan in Robert D*as today it was shaped oval to cook fish :cool: not sure if the shape is needed which is probably why it was half price but it seemed on its first use to be a good pan. Not sure what it's coated with?
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,092 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Yep - he always seems to have jackets with "poachers pockets":rotfl:

It's not grudged - far from it but his timing like your Mum's always seems to be spot on:D
  • caronc
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    I was kind of hoping no smell no dead creature Caronc but if they are there again tomorrow it's the turn of the lounge and dining room to have everything pulled out and checked behind and under

I cooked the bream fillets and they were lovely, not sure if they were meant to be served with crackers :cool: but they were good crackers :D. They came with chervil and lemon butter so I decided I had worked off the calories so cooked in half of what they provided. I picked up a nonstick frying pan in Robert D*as today it was shaped oval to cook fish :cool: not sure if the shape is needed which is probably why it was half price but it seemed on its first use to be a good pan. Not sure what it's coated with?
    Sounds tasty - never heard of an oval pan but could be a good shape for HM flat breads & naans too :D
    Hope the flies have been a temporary fixture;)
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

It's still raining.....
    Assuming all goes to plan my Dad is coming for lunch. Breakfast was a slice of toast & the remaining halloumi & veg skewer. I must remember to process the roasted tomatoes today:)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I went to a small car boot today - small list of things I was looking for and I managed to get one. I also picked up a tiny spiraliser - small so ideal for trying one out and/or just spiralling one carrot/similar. 50p it seemed a good time to try one.

Yesterday I popped into "L" for some choc covered peanuts - but came out with cocktail sausages, cheese topped rolls (date reduced), a small pack of corned beef (date reduced) and some simple coleslaw. The corned beef needs to be eaten today (£1.29 pack price, marked down to 70p).

I guess.... as I've got tomatoes that need using up - and I have cheese - and I have eggs - and I have coleslaw - and I have pasta - and I have a jar of pickled beetroot.

I will probably, therefore, end up filling a bowl with boiled eggs, tomatoes, cheese, corned beef and I'll make the coleslaw into a coronation coleslaw by adding some bits and bobs.

I might make a pasta salad... depends how I feel re effort.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Steps back in amazement Pastures - re the spiraliser:rotfl: Are we corrupting you?;):rotfl:

I'm planning on having courgetti (ie spiralised courgette) pasta tonight with a "sorta stew" of kidney beans/tomatoes/peppers/spinach.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 15 August 2018 at 1:06PM
    Options
    Steps back in amazement Pastures - re the spiraliser:rotfl: Are we corrupting you?;):rotfl:

I'm planning on having courgetti (ie spiralised courgette) pasta tonight with a "sorta stew" of kidney beans/tomatoes/peppers/spinach.

I only bought it as it's 50p and grating just a single carrot is a pain in the butt... so I thought, for 50p, I'd see how it went.

It's this sort: https://www.lelong.com.my/spiralschneider-veggetti-20999-19997-22120-spiralschneider-ysholding-172774497-2018-01-Sale-P.htm

:)

Not got it out of the box yet ... it could be many months before I bother/remember to be honest (and I'd need to have a carrot in the house too!)

I don't like/eat courgette, so wouldn't use it for that. It was one of those "on a whim" purchases. I'd not have bothered if it'd been £1 to be honest.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,
    You can't really go wrong for 50p:), a spiralizer is one gadget I don't have, I did quite fancy one for a bit but the notion waned so I'm glad I didn't get one as it would have ended up in a cupboard!
    My Dad came for lunch and seemed to enjoy but there is enough left for me to have for lunch tomorrow so I'll need to remember to either use up or freeze an open pack of corned beef.
    I was going to make pesto to have with stuffed pasta but think I'll make some tomato sauce instead and have some of that.

It's sort of dried up so once I've finished my cuppa I must go and pick some beans as there looks to be a good few ready.
  • caronc
    Options
    Typed too soon - it started tipping it down again. Beans will need to wait until tomorrow:(
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback