PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,115 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone,

It's raining again......
    Hope your car gets on ok Farway
    I've had a very quiet day - the wonky donkey returned so it's been feet up and meds down.:( Thankfully dinner tonight needs little doing to it bar popping the lamb in the oven and some veggies sorted out. :)

I had chilli again for lunch and have boxed up 2 portions for the freezer.
  • caronc
    edited 2 August 2018 at 8:23PM
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    The rain has stopped:) but it's still very overcast & gloomy, I hate to say this but "the night's are fair drawing in" (it's getting darker earlier;)). I wasn't the only one to feel chilly last night my Dad put his heating on for an hour which is very unlike him especially at this time of year:eek:.

About an hour ago I had real sugar craving which I sometimes get when I've upped my meds and it was refusing to go. I forgot I had ice cream in the freezer and didn't want fruit. I've no sweeties in the house & didn't fancy a piece of dark chocolate. I gave all the LO Christmas & Easter sweets to my son to take into his work when he was last up. What I should have done was made a cup of sweet tea or cocoa but what I did was have a rake and find a bag of giant marshmallows LO from the last BBQ. I'm not keen on them but ate one anyway.:o It did the trick by my word it was ghastly.... I've cleaned my teeth and had a cuppa but can still taste the sugar:(

Green beans have been topped & tailed and just need portioning & popping in the freezer. I'm afraid I'm lazy and don't bother blanching them. :cool:

Lamb is in the oven and I just need to decide what veg to have with it and whether to make some garam masal roasted spuds or stick with greek pitta bread. Oh the decisions :rotfl::rotfl:

ETA: decided on the pitta, raita and salad:)
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,165 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 3 August 2018 at 7:45AM
    Options
    At least you stopped at one Caronc it's when you carry on with a couple more and realise you're feeling sick :o

The asthma review went better than expected :T stupidity I walked from my sisters'to the dr only a 20 min walk but at 29 degrees too hot, they were running half hour late so the inhaler had time to kick in :D my peak flow was a lot better than my home readings, although she said she could hear I was chesty, she's given me a new peak flow monitor as I said could mine be wrong? then I got home got mugged by the cat and thought 'or is it you???' Wouldn't mention that to the nurse :rotfl:

Whilst in W*itrose lunchtime there was an announcement for owner of car .... come to service desk. When I cut through their car park 10 mins later there was the car with a Westie sitting in the passenger seat window opened 2 or 3 inches 29 degree heat no breeze, older man trying to convince the W*itrose man to break in from the loud conversation I overhead he had phoned the police first and was told to contact the shop. So the dog had probably been there at least 15 mins :mad: :mad: I walked on but I was with the older guy with breaking the window, the poor dog was sitting next to the slightly open window :mad: I don't understand why people won't leave the poor dogs at home this weather :cool:

Lunch was smoked salmon and cottage cheese salad with some LO new potatoes. Dinner was going to be mackerel fillets but they're still in the fridge and I'm still sitting on my ar*e :) too hot to cook, I'm not that hungry with the heat but will see what I can find or I'll be hungry later, but now it's cooler it's too late for fish I've plenty of fruit in and some nice blue cheese so might be pear, blue cheese and walnut salad :think:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 2 August 2018 at 10:47PM
    Options
    Oh dear Brambling - there certainly feels like enough publicity going round these days not to leave either an animal or a young child/baby in a car in hot weather etc etc these days. There was an article earlier this week about a mother who left her young baby in a locked car in the heat and another woman broke in to get the baby out.

Re the asthma - well I guess you can mentally work back in your mind to see if the time the asthma started and the time you got the cat coincided. I do know a former alternative health practitioner I know told me he used to have asthma and took up yoga. Lo and behold - no asthma. I'm guessing that it can be refined specifically down to yoga breathing (rather than the exercise per se).

Caron - re little "sweet treat" - you could try a Medjool date split open/stone removed/some tahini in its place. One or two of them just gives a "sweet hit" and its healthy. Though its very nice - you just don't feel like having any more than that one or two.
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

Glad your asthma review went ok Brambling, best not to think too hard if moggie is aggravating it;)
    :eek::eek: re the Westie in the car, at least they had left the window open unlike the numpties that were all over our local paper for leaving there's in a sealed car ironically it turned out while they were taking there other pooch to the vets.....

Thanks for the tip re the dates MTSTM, I had none of them in the house either. Thankfully these cravings are rare as I don't usually have much of a sweet tooth.

Dry but very cloudy & gloomy here this morning. The rain is supposed to hold off but I'm not convinced.

Tandoori lamb last night was really good though there was a lot of fat & bone and not a lot of meat. I think there should be enough LO to fill a pitta witrh some salad for lunch:).

Chicken, haggis & peppercorn sauce pie tonight, must remember to defrost it. I'll probably have it with HM wedges, peas & green beans.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,437 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I just had PB and banana on toast and gallons of water to drink.

I just did a 5 mile walk this morning and I know I'm supposed to eat something with protein in it 30 minutes after exercising.

I keep forgetting so it was 35 minutes after I got in that I ate the peanut butter toast.:p
    caronc wrote: »
    Good evening everyone,
    The rain has stopped:) but it's still very overcast & gloomy, I hate to say this but "the night's are fair drawing in" (it's getting darker earlier;)). I wasn't the only one to feel chilly last night my Dad put his heating on for an hour which is very unlike him especially at this time of year:eek:.

I would love it if it was chilly. This heat is killing me. :rotfl:
  • caronc
    Options
    I know Wednesday I'm never happy:o, it's raining well drizzling here again. I don't mind chilly but I hate wet & gloomy.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Scorchio here again.... south coast.

Breakfast was 2-3 chocs misshapes. Bag's nearly empty... so I've eaten my way through about 750g of chocolates and 250g or so of fruit pastilles this week :)

Lunch was hash brown, scrambled eggs, beans, sausages.

I'm out of bread/rolls still, but CBA to go all the way to the shop to see if they've still got any for sale.

L & A both get one van/day - and once something's sold out that's it. No extras in the warehouse, no van coming for a 2nd visit later. That's it.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,316 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    More scorchio here, melting away, 30c outside, but my figs are lapping it up

Car back at last, one more thing left, told I've got a nail embedded in a rear tyre tread, repairable, one day next week off to tyre shop and that's it done, fingers crossed

Lunch was cheese & salad PB baguette
    Dinner, has to be salad, maybe baked spud & boiled eggs with it, or just chips:o

No shopping, except milk from Co-op, today is normally L's mooch but lack of car to carry it home meant I missed that "pleasure"
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    My fig-tree-to-be is doing pretty okay and I'm counting the nascent figs on it and hoping....

Not scorching here - I was out in my raincoat (as the skies looked threatening and temperature is "reasonable"). Had got my sunglasses on for "glamour" - but it didnt merit it:rotfl::

Dinner was due to be a "planned" dinner and hasnt worked out that way:o - so it will be "scratch together whatever I have in" again. But the day itself has revealed I have more friends here than I thought I had - so it counts as a Good Day imo - and scratch dinner will do.

Off to get that together and try on a "I hope it's going to look elegant - because that's the intention" dress I just bought:rotfl:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback