PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,144 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good point - but getting a "good" chip can be a challenge at times:rotfl:
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I'll hold my hands up and admit it.....

#whispers

I bought yet another cookery book:rotfl:

Off to peruse it - well it was only £3.

This time its "30 days of vegan".

In my defence:
    - the recipes are for 2 (darn it being as how I'm single - but at least thats better than for 4 or, worse still, 6 people)
    - covers a whole month of breakfast, lunch and dinner and provides weekly shopping lists
    - looks like cheaper ingredients

I guess I'm excused adding yet another one then:cool:.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    My name is Brambling and I'm a cook bookoholic welcome Money. :D
    caronc wrote: »
    How I wish Brambling it had been too warm here today to cook chilli:).
    Sounds as though one PITA is leaving to be replaced by another..... Just remember your rights too:cool:

My manager tells me it's really difficult to recruit where we are, I may remind him I'm mortgage free and with no travel expenses could afford to take a lower salary job nearer to home :cool: I've decided I'm too accommodating time I started to push back. I think it comes from living alone, the worry of only one salary coming in, so not wanting to rock the boat :o

Dropped the YS chicken off with my sister and we got in a hour walking and [STRIKE]moaning about work[/STRIKE] catch up
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

My name is caronc and I'm a cookbookholic too, enjoy your new book MTSTM.
    Cloudy but dry at the moment so once I've finished my cuppa and done my physio I'm off to see what needs doing outside.
    I'll probably have some of the chilli for lunch and it's pasta tonight so just veg to pick & prep for that later.
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,413 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Earlier start than normal, today is MOT day, got it right this time

After breakfast of porridge, bit squishy banana, honey & HM yoghurt I dropped the car off. I'll collect it tomorrow, cant face two lots of buses in one day

Luckily today is sunny, and getting hotter, back to watering soon. I trundled with my trolley from garage into town, had to go into town to get bus back anyway

Nothing special around, but did get yet mote YS fish, this time it's cod fillets in batter, 2 pack, so one tonight & freeze the other

Had a mini snack on walk back home from bus stop, one yummy cherry that the birds had missed, and a few blackberries

Lunch will be PB baguette, not sure of filling yet, but some salad will feature

I've postponed the crumble topping until tomorrow, the blackberries & apples are stewed & in fridge, but I've still got a good greedy portion of trifle left and don't want to double up on lurking puds to tempt me

I may get on and prune my pear tree later, now I've room in the green wheelie bin again

Dinner, the YS cod & some chips seems likely at the moment
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options
    Dwarf & climbing French beans have gone into overdrive must have picked nearly a kilo:eek:
    Runners are still reluctant......
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I ate the 4th filled bread roll. This one had cheese/cucumber in it.

I've now no bread and no rolls... but still have half a cucumber, some toamtoes and a boiled egg, so I bet my next move is to get a bowl and toss those items into a bowl with grated cheese and some pickled beetroot at some point ... maybe a cheeky chip or 20.

I've still got four sausage rolls, they're kind of ear-marked as my evening meal at the moment.

Have to see how things go and what I fancy.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    My name is Brambling and I'm a cook bookoholic welcome Money. :D

My manager tells me it's really difficult to recruit where we are, I may remind him I'm mortgage free and with no travel expenses could afford to take a lower salary job nearer to home :cool: I've decided I'm too accommodating time I started to push back. I think it comes from living alone, the worry of only one salary coming in, so not wanting to rock the boat :o

:rotfl::rotfl: at that.

Your manager gave rather a "hostage to fortune" telling you that re the "really difficult to recruit" bit:D

I do know what you mean re the "only one salary coming into the house - because I'm single". I can obviously relate to that:cool:

The one plus side to that is that one does have to be given all the benefit due if unemployment hits. The DWP doesnt have the excuse of "Oh - you are married or living together - and so we'll basically expect him to support you". I've never been able to get my head round why I was allowed to be independent whilst in a job, but would be deemed to have to be dependant on a man if I didnt have a job (hello 19th century - welcome back:cool:).

Still recalls ruefully when (many years back) a gay friend asked about what benefit they'd be due for, with them having a (same sex) partner. The answer (at that point in history) was "The DHSS doesnt take account of a partner - since they are the same sex - and so won't expect her to be dependant on her partner". Things changed in subsequent years and everyone is expected to be dependant on their partner these years:cool:

Me - I'd got it worked out that the ideal solution (if I'd ever got married) would be two adjacent houses and knock a secret door between them). He could live in one half and I'd live in the other - and I'd still be "single":rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: officially.

Thankfully those days are gone of any government dept being able to make me dependant on someone else:D:D:D
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,207 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I'm not sure about getting more benefits Money when I was made redundant 5 years ago I was told the mortgage was my problem (luckily I was insured) and I was given approx. £70 a week as I was only entitled to JSA because I had redundancy money and other savings in the bank. I was lucky as I was only out of work for a month and it was just as well I had savings as I had started my new job before I received any JSA . I know things will be different with UC but I still don't think I would get any more sometimes it doesn't pay to be MSE

When I suggested I get temp work I was advised not to as it would be too complicated for them!! and if I got bored to do voluntary work. In fact when I went to sign off and say I have found a job, the advisor in the next cubicle overhead the conversation and turned to his 'client' and said see this lady found work in a month it is possible, I though I was going to have to watch my back on the walk home
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,413 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 1 August 2018 at 3:15PM
    Options
    MOT fail:( Rear brakes & brake lights. Pooo, luckily I'm in a postilion where I can afford the repairs, and double luck, I don't really need a car, it's handy & gives me flexibility when or where I travel, but I could do without if I had to, used a bike for years, can't do that now even if I wanted to.

Lunch was the PB baguette, with cheese & salad filling

I've pruned the pear, and made a start on the large apple tree, more to do come winter to shape it, it is getting too tall now, needs a judicious haircut to bring it back within reach

YS battered cod & chips + peas for dinner. I'll be able to compare Asda cod fillet against W/rose now. I think I can guess which would be better, but you never know

PS, just read this, I thought I half heard something on the news this morning, seesm I was right, I'll wait & see but could be the end of me eating salmon
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11375296/Genetically-modified-crop-successfully-fed-to-salmon-say-scientists.html
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure