PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,113 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Warm/sunny all day here again.

I bought what used to be "my favourite choccies" when I went to £land for a wall mounted coat rail (seen them in there for months....) but, of course, now I want to buy one they don't sell them any more.... so I shuffled round to the sweeties aisle. They're "mis-shapes" and so you get what you're given, but what's coming through the machine is completely different to what used to go through their machine... but still better than the similar seconds I'd found at Home Bargains (although some are the same chocs).

Today I've scoffed: 100g of assorted chocs, 1 filled cheese/cucumber roll and 2 hot sausage rolls.

For telly - mine's been broken about 3-4 weeks, there was a time I could manage to get it going for a few hours, but it's given up the ghost. But, my new PC just manages to use iplayer for catchup (sometimes it works, sometimes it freezes and sometimes it says "not enough bandwidth, try again later")... so I randomly peck at that occasionally late evening. Not sure when Long Lost Family's on, I do like that... I'll check, might be tonight. (ITV if it is). Ah, that was on last night .... I'll watch that now :)

https://www.itv.com/hub/long-lost-family/1a8904a0064

Thanks PN - I tend to watch most things on my laptop thankfully I've half decent broadband so seldom get bandwith issues. I'll check this out.
    I have "project" looming to switch my living & dining rooms about. This means I might actually use my sofas & TV. I seldom use my current living room as it is at the front of the house and the back is much brighter & warmer will be an upheaval though but will have help to move the furniture etc. :)
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,517 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Watching Hidden will put you right off rural Wales ...
  • caronc
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »
    :rotfl::rotfl:It's ok, can't be any worse than rural Scotland and I've no intention of moving there either I'm definitely a "townie" :D
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    I have "project" looming to switch my living & dining rooms about.

That's the thing with smaller houses - only one room, no thinking of switching ever :) No choice of which room's best and which to sit in. There it is, that's your room....

It was a good LLF episode. Better than last week's rubbish (rubbish = ending up in a foreign country, in which I have no interest).

I won't say any spoilers for those yet to watch it.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    Reckon some things are best left unsubbed so to speak.;)
    Do you use Mushroom powder MTSTM? A veggie friend (no dairy) uses this a lot to make sauce and gravy. Have to say the "bechamel" she made for a lasagne tasted pretty good and was, I think, a mix of veg stock & soya milk with mustard powder, mushroom powder and paprika added to a basic roux. It had that "mouth hit" that cheese gives IFYSWIM:)

I shoulda thought of that 'tis true.

I had a packet of dried mushrooms I just didnt seem to be using - so blitzed them up and thought I could just add a little bit of that to dishes for "added extra" flavour. Forgot about that today - though I do tend to try to do recipes/ideas as per the original the first time - and then I make notes of "bit more of this/bit less of that/needs more flavour/etc".
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 1 August 2018 at 9:57PM
    Options
    bouicca21 wrote: »

Sounds like summat I should look up then is it?:rotfl:

Curiosity is now going to probably cause me to have a peak to see whether it's just down to "pressure cooker syndrome" (as I'm coming to think of it) - ie visits back to somewhere that's English and a city at intervals to "let the steam out of the pressure cooker" or "something rather Darker"......

#shades of Jaws music

EDIT; Just found it on Iplayer - quick look at initial photo = Ah right...it's DARK then...eerie photo/expressions on faces. Probably not then....
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,312 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    'morning folks

Today's plans are a bit wonky with he car MOT, still at the garage, and I may or may not collect it today. Depending on that sorts out my dinner, don't want to have something in the oven & then get garage call.

This morning is normal stuff, breakfast was normal porridge mix

Fed & watered the tomatoes, all growing well still

And, Tara- trumpet blow, I've a fig nearly ripe:j It's soft & turning brownish, hope it fully ripens before I go down to Plymouth in a couple of weeks, fingers crossed

TV programmes, I'm another Handmaids' Tale, but find myself whizzing through bits just lately, I record first to avoid adverts,

One I've just watched, maybe too "Engineery" for some, was the 3 parter on the super sewer under London, on BBC2, just finished & should be on Iplayer, very much huge holes in the ground & jumbo machinery to fascinate and IMO just show how much goes on that is unsung
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bc2h13

There's one on BBC4, part 2 tonight, Brian Cox, science over the centuries
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01d56f7

And one about the 4 seasons in the New Forest, ITV Channel 4 I think, I watch because I know some of the places but it is interesting as well

And Outlander, into it's third series I think, but should be on Netflix or catch up somewhere maybe, still "live" on the TV More4

Back to food, lunch is PB baguette and salad + something

I'm going to make the crumble topping & cook it early just in case I go out for the car later this afternnon
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    Thanks for the tv tips Farway some more for me to investigate.:)
    I watched a bit of "Hidden" last night and enjoyed it so that's a keeper:).
    It's dryish here at the moment with more rain forecast for later so I'll do my garden/greenhouse rounds this morning rather than early evening!
    Chilli again for lunch and then I'll freeze what's left.
    I popped a small piece of lamb shoulder in a tandoori marinade yesterday evening, I'll roast it later to have with veg, greek pitta and I might make some raita.
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Breakfast was a cooked one. Sausages, scrambled eggs, beans, hash browns. Then 2 chocolates for afters. Can you have afters with breakfast? Yes you can ... :)

Hot/sunny here today. Blue, cloudless skies. Is the "plume" coming...?
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,312 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Lunch was cheese + salady baguette

The B & A crumble looks very tasty, still cooling at the moment

Dinner, looking like it may be cheese / eggs on toast now I have oodles of crumble and still no car news
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback