PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    The other thing I think myself is cooking is the only creative outlet I have basically - as I've tried a variety of craft type activities and I'm useless at them all uniformly:rotfl:. Pottery:rotfl:Dress-making:rotfl:Knitting:rotfl:Art:rotfl: and so it goes on....

But cooking I'm not bad at and it has a practical purpose - I gotta eat anyway and it's a useful social skill (well...okay...being able to play a musical instrument would also be a useful social skill....yep...another thing I'm sure I'd make a right mess of...:rotfl:).

I wouldnt go as far as those chefs on yesterdays baking programme on tv - was definitely sitting there thinking "!!!!!!" ('scuse my French) about what they were doing - ie splatting ingredients down onto a table even...

But cooking as I know it...now that's different...

So - when I don't feel cba - then I like it...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Utterly starving... belly's groaning ... I need to eat.

But I CBA to walk 20 paces to the kitchen to put 2 pieces of toast on :)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    LO beans on toast eaten and a big burger out for lunch, I am talking coarsely minced and you can see the fat, it isn`t mushed and hidden. Plate of veg as I have veg to use before I pick more later. Rhubarb crumble

Flax crackers, slice of cheese and sliced ripe tomato later. Tea will be small bowl of fruit compote, granola and yoghurt

Going to be mega hot, already 22 on the field so will be shutting windows and drawing blinds down again but will have half an hour outside pottering first
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

I'm definitely a "live to eat" kind of gal, yes I have cba spells and prefer to keep it simple in the hot weather but I enjoy cooking (& eating) and would never not make something I fancied just because I'm CFO.

It's shaping up to be another glorious day here so I'll be making to most of it though taking care that I am actually in the shade today. Thankfully my sunburned bit was too hot or itchy overnight, it's well covered up today;)

Lunch will be a repeat of the cheese/crackers etc. as I want to use the camembert up as it a smelly one and stinking out my fridge. Chicken salad tonight I think as I've coleslaw to use up and plenty of salad veg. I might nuke some baby spuds and make some potato salad.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    If I had stinky cheese I'd stick it in a freezer bag. I do that with stinky boiled eggs.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,118 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If I had stinky cheese I'd stick it in a freezer bag. I do that with stinky boiled eggs.
    It's in a box and then a lidded tub but it's still creating a whiff! :eek:
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    The other day I picked up a 6-pack of 4ldi tomatoes... just 36p this week. Brought them home, popped them on the top.

Yesterday I fancied a corned beef/tomato sandwich, picked up the pack and one was VERY furry/mouldy. I was so annoyed as the pack date was today... so I decided to take them back - although at 36p it's not really worth it as it costs half that to get there/back. But then I couldn't find the receipt, so decided to open the pack ... chuck the furry one out for the birds and see what the rest were like.

They'd been affected by the mould growing - and had started to go brown at the join/top ... but what the heck.

Just now I made a corned beef and tomato sandwich, I had to cut off and bin half the tomato as it was quite soft/brown at the top... but waste not, want not :)
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Its already past being glorious here, already uncomfortable and I had an hour on the allotment. Finished getting blackcurrants from 2 ben sarek, did it the old fashioned way as I am not bothered getting berries next year, will move these two. Cut off the remaining older stems right at the base and picked standing up. 3 big cucs and one big curly lettuce, mazur, fantastic and it is stable in the heat, green beans, courgettes and oh I must get those beetroots cooked. Was glad to get home

Now to make that green juice, it is the only way to get through enough veggies for me, I will make it cool, green and minty. Got to shower after and try and walk slowly to keep cool
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,519 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Oh, I'm with Money. I have no craft skills, can't even knit, and too late to learn a musical instrument. So I like to make a nice meal, though I draw a line at artyfarty presentation. Cold lamb roast with sweet potato puree and purple sprouting broccoli for dinner today. And maybe a Greek salad for lunch.
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    bouicca, too old!!! its never too late unless ill health is in the way. I have a very nice small (height related) accordian under the stairs and all the progressive learning books, I want to learn that when I am very settled, might be 74 then. Last time I taught myself, I was 15, parents could not ever afford music lessons

At 66 I started to learn to spin from scratch, was rubbish for months, then it clicked and now I am good. I have weaving on my `to learn` list. Allotment comes easy because I have inherited green fingers from my dutch side farmers then horticulturists with bakers added later, goes back to 1350 and from my fathers side, peasant farmers. I don`t have enough time in the day sometimes but by golly it is so satisfying to have aspirations, even if it is a hobby. I did card making for a while, that was enjoyable but I wanted to clear space, oxfam had most and I sold the rest, wasn`t for me. Top of my hobby list was always health, was keen even from a young age and working in a pharmacy, when I made butterfly strips and patched people up, I was 16. Then later in life I trained intensively for 4 whole years and now I just act on what I know

I, like everyone, ate rubbish at times but reached a stage when I thought `no second chances` and that is what I am now

Green juice made and blended with large ice squashed in the vitamix. 2 glasses so one is in a cold flask in the fridge for later. In that drink and part filtered by omega juicer to get dry residue: cabbage, lettuce, celery, mint, whole apple including pips. half lemon, baby and half a big cuc all peeled. It is lovely and very cooling

Next job is shower dry naturally and make bed, I am already over warm and that will cool me down
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback