PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I have sparkle cleaned the main bathroom, hands and knees and won`t touch that room again and neither will any visitors. Hands and knees done the utility floor. Tomorrow will do 2 bedrooms, the final clean and hiding things. All windows next week, will have to get up at sunrise. Bit at a time in this weather.

Careful when standing from sitting, you could get dizzy. I have drunk loads but barely sending any down the loo, just shows how much harder our bodies are having to work to retain the safe body temperature. Very dangerous weather
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cheeseburger for tea... with the smell of BBQs wafting into the house from neighbours' gardens and as I'd bought bread rolls yesterday, it was time for a cheeseburger.... with ketchup.

The "trouble" with CFO is that when you buy a 4-pack of something and use one, the whole remainder and box can lurk in the freezer for months. This is the 2nd from the box, I probably had the first one over a month ago.

CFO/freezers you simply don't get through the volume to have the space for more variety. A family can buy a box of burgers and eat the lot in one sitting... all gone, nothing in the freezer taking up space. Me, a box can be in the freezer 3-4 months while I get through all of them.

81F indoors here now, curtains closed all day and East facing. I've completely lost the sun - which goes before 5pm ... so I've watered the garden twice for 15-minutes a time. A lot of the back garden's in the shade from about just before noon.
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,099 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,

kittie it sounds as though you will be well prepared for selling:)

It's been very hot & humid here today and the breeze is like standing in the draught of a hairdryer:eek:, I've been virtually attached to a water bottle all day so no issues with the kidney function but my skin feels completed dehydrated. I'll be slapping on a lot of moisturiser before bed tonight:cool:. Usually my house is like a North/South divide temperature-wise but even the "cool" part is warm despite good airflow and shading so I can't even escape the heat there. I couldn't face gardening in the heat so took a taxi to the library to change some books as I thought it might be air conditioned nope it was like a sauna, I felt so sorry for the staff!

Thankfully I'm planning a salad for dinner and picked my first cucumber to have in it. It may be the only one so far but it's beauty and it will be lovely to have a cucumber that actually tastes of something:D. Still no sign of any others though:(. I picked a load of peas as well, unless I get a second flowering that will the first sowing nearly finished. I did get a fairly decent amount overall though - enough that a good few actually made it to the kitchen:D.

My younger son is home for a week this weekend & suggested we might bbq on Sunday, sounds like a plan to me as it is just the weather for souvlaki etc. :D
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Evening

At least the benefits of being at work is the air conditioning :) I'm having to use my inhalers more at the moment and got tutted at when 'caught' by my colleague walking back uphill to the office with a bag of shopping, she did carry it for me as she told me off :D as she said could hear my breathing :o unfortunately the office is half way up a steep hill, and it's either stay in or walk up hill.

The house wasn't too bad when I got home I had left the curtains shut as the sun hits the front of the house all afternoon and this evening there was a nice breeze to do the watering.

Lunch was LO nasi goreng a big enough portion to only need a snack for dinner so that was blue cheese, pears and crackers with fresh pineapples for dessert. Unfortunately not cooking tonight means I'll have to think harder on what to do for lunch tomorrow I prefer to take my own. I said to the young guy in the office today 'you can't complain you have no money if you buy lunch everyday' it got me a eye roll, he said it's only £3 a day and he doesn't have time in the morning, so I told him that was £60 a month and as his mum makes his dinner he had time the night before. Just reminds me I'm old enough to be his mum :( TBH I think I saw the light when I was saving for my first mortgage and started totting up lunch money over the month.
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I normally go to bed at 10 but I didn`t want to tonight, it is going to be a very hot and long night. It is still 25 outside
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    Kittie/Farway - thinking further re pruning my blackcurrant bushes - and what is the reason for pruning them actually?

Is it to get more fruit in future years or what? I do like my logical reasons for everything:)

Guess my garden, on the whole, is getting to look more garden-like - as people are taking to walking off round it and asking me questions about it now:). Cue for me stuffing samples of what food I have to date in their mouth for a taster...

Yesterday's visitor was saying "Nice place. You've done a lot. Nice location" and clearly wanted it for themselves:) Grinned and told them they could have it - but it would cost them rather a lot - considering the cost of the house I'd buy instead. They didn't laugh off the idea of paying way over the odds for the house if they were able to...
  • [Deleted User]
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    better quality larger fruit, to get air into the bush, routine maintenance. Mix that with a good feeding programme. Bushes, like people, get stressed and can die so we look after the bushes to keep them in prime condition

It is 9 celsius warmer in the house than out, so all windows are open and the fan on and swivelling to get the warm air out. Another scorcher with a respite tomorrow.

cba breakfast of peanut butter on toast, sba green drink later, no idea for lunch but has to be something with fish

crows are making one hell of a racket, no-one can sleep late around here
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    First I get the crows and then the seagulls... then the empty open backed commercial trucks (my god they bang) ... and then the beefy motorbikes racing to work.

My road's a dead end, with commercial units up there for building types of businesses and motoring stuff, kitchens and marble tops... so "industrial".

There's an engineering workshop directly opposite me - it usually makes no noise, but yesterday they had all their rear fire doors and windows open and by god their grinding machines make a noise, but I'd not think to complain as it IS hot and they won't have air con and they don't have their doors open more than 1-2 days of the year.,... poor sods must be dripping in there.

Still ill. Day 5. Flu powder and toast for breakfast. Flu powder mostly to make the headache go away and stop some of the snotty sniffles.
  • PasturesNew
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    I said to the young guy in the office today 'you can't complain you have no money if you buy lunch everyday' it got me a eye roll, he said it's only £3 a day
    To be fair, compared to what are probably other wasteful spends, at least he's eating food he likes for £3/day.

These young people can go through some reckless spending, seeing it as "normal"... even 20 years ago I knew of some young lads in my office that would think nothing of spending £70-80 going out on a Friday night, into a club and drinking beer.... toss in the odd new shirt (also not £3) ... and aftershave (won't be a bottle of Brut off the market) ....

It won't be his £3 lunches, it'll be beer, or gadgets, or clothes, that are eating his money.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    To be fair, compared to what are probably other wasteful spends, at least he's eating food he likes for £3/day
    It won't be his £3 lunches, it'll be beer, or gadgets, or clothes, that are eating his money.

TBH I don't care how he spends his money, it's the complaining about his overdraft that's annoying, he was also complaining he was hungry, so obviously not a good choice for lunch :) and yes he's a typical young man in his early twenties with lots of gadgets /boys toys :cool:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback