PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I went out to the allotment straight after breakfast, gradually taking one layer of clothing off after another. So warm and so sunny, I did 3 hours+, masses of work but it is like spring makes it so worth while. Seeds sown, ground hoed, paths trimmed, loads of work and I surprised myself. I never wanted a mid morning snack and wished I had prepared my lunch but had a topsy turvey lunch instead ie pud and fresh grapefruit juice first. I stuck to what I wanted to do, had stir fried kale/spinach/fennel/garlic/soya beans

sitting now, that is enough work for today. No idea for last meal but know that I have a lovely hm fruit scone ahead, maybe toast as the peasant bread is going down a storm

I am just going to catch up with your posts now, hope you are having a good day
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,252 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Walking around completed, nice to see the Palm Sunday procession [It is a cathedral city]. Had a mooch around the city walls, nice to [STRIKE]peer [/STRIKE] have a birds' eye view into folk's back gardens

Lunch was excellent, salmon, with roast sweet pots & veg. No pud or a mid morning scone

Into W/r on way back, another plastic bag for life duly bought. I find them handy for bunging washing in and lobbing down the stairs. I can't carry bulky stuff, like a laundry basket, down stairs and hold onto banister / stick at the same time

If a planned shopping trip I'll have my trolley or a bag but I don't carry one around "just in case"

Still full at the moment but I picked up a YS 10p fancy lettuce in W/r so could have a posh salady sarnie later if needed
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    .... nice to see the Palm Sunday procession [It is a cathedral city]....
    I've never heard of such a thing occurring until you made this post :)
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I had two hot sausage rolls earlier - and I just had a bread roll with marg on it.

I'd have liked to have toasted that roll, and cooked some chips and a burger and grated some cheese ... and made a cheeseburger/chips ... but, well, you know ... CBA, when just a bread roll/marg is so "instant" :)

I popped out and brought home a pack of choccy digestives and a bar of choccy.... so I've also just had 3 choccy biccies.
  • wort
    wort Posts: 1,676 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Chicken's on for tea, with new potatoes, carrots bit of cauli a few sprouts and broccoli in the steamer, I'm having pepper sauce on my chicken, dgson having gravy. All veg now used apart from carrots. My sister says she can take me shopping tomorrow so will sort a list.
    It's about 11 days since last big shop, but have bought things at work, this budget thing is hard.
    I don't waste any food and I eat normally, I think not big portions but having to get fresh stuff ,milk veg, yogurts, I can only make them last 2 weeks.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
  • pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Yesterday I was spurred on by the healthy eating habits of some folks on here to resurrect the blender. It's amazing what you can do with a small banana, some grapes, cabbage leaves and a carrot!
    Truth is I'm lazy about cooking proper veg and I don't even like fruit that much. But I am finally getting my 5 a day - as well as more liquid as I don't usually drink enough water either. :j
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Walking around completed, nice to see the Palm Sunday procession [It is a cathedral city]. Had a mooch around the city walls, nice to [STRIKE]peer [/STRIKE] have a birds' eye view into folk's back gardens

Lunch was excellent, salmon, with roast sweet pots & veg. No pud or a mid morning scone

Into W/r on way back, another plastic bag for life duly bought. I find them handy for bunging washing in and lobbing down the stairs. I can't carry bulky stuff, like a laundry basket, down stairs and hold onto banister / stick at the same time

If a planned shopping trip I'll have my trolley or a bag but I don't carry one around "just in case"

Still full at the moment but I picked up a YS 10p fancy lettuce in W/r so could have a posh salady sarnie later if needed

My, you have been a good lad today, NO PUD, NO SCONE, lol careful now undies round your ankles can get you into trouble, i.e. you can trip and break a bone or two. or maybe get arrested.

Well done on the trolley and bag for a planned shop, its as PN says its the unexpected purchase that results in having to buy a plastic bag. As Money to short to mention says its easy for us ladies as we almost always have a handbag. Men only have pockets, well the older generation do, all of the younger ones I`ve spoken to recently seem to favour a back pack or LOL takeaways.

When I had stairs, now in bungalow, I couldn't manage to hold on to laundry basket and rail either, I used to bung it all in pillow case and kick it downstairs.
    Slimming World at target
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good evening everyone,
    That's a shame bouicca21, it will no doubt reappear in I-player at some point. I do like a good Scandi-drama thay always seem to be less "sanitised" than UK/USA ones IFYSWIM

Farway, sounds like a good day out, I do like the chance to see other folks gardens it's a bit like people watching an enjoyable way to pass the time.

wort - snce the New Year I've been limiting my shop to every 8-9 days but sticking with the same weekly budget. I'm finding this is working well for me so far and fresh stuff lasts ok. I'm not sure if it will work so well in the summer when I eat more salads and soft fruit but I'm liking the fact it's making me plan meals etc. a bit more. Helps with the budget too as every so often I in effect save a week which is fab at the moment as Mar-Jun are spendy months for me between garden things and a spate of birthdays. I'm also putting a bit of my monthly food budget away each month to cover 5 week months (I've done this for years and it really helps the stretch between paydays):)

I have an ancient IKEA blue bag that I use for moving things like laundry between places.:cool:

The weather did perk up here later in the afternoon and while I was in the garden I wasn't actually gardening:o, I had got engrossed in the final chapters of a book so topped up my Vit D levels (on the skin that wasn't well wrapped up) so fiished it while sat in the sunshine.

My lovely neighbour has managed to fix the fence between our gardens at the front so that has saved us both some cash, though he's not convinced it will last that much longer. It's been up for 20+ years and was a cheap DIY effort at the time so it really doesn't owe anyone anything:). His wife also gave me 8 hot cross buns that were spare from an event she was at as there was loads left and they have a fair few too as well. I'll definitely keep the neighbours on the homemade bramble vodka list again this Christmas;). Seven buns have been frozen and one has been scoffed:).

Root veg mash is in the pressure cooker so not much more to do for dinner except make gravy and nuke some cabbage.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,138 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    caronc wrote: »
    . I do like a good Scandi-drama thay always seem to be less "sanitised" than UK/USA ones IFYSWIM.

I enjoy a scandi-drama as well I'm looking forward to the last series of The Bridge in May.

Spent the afternoon in town with my sister we went for a quick look which turned to lunch (Waitrose wine bar) and a little bit of shopping ;)

Cooked a vegetable lasagna for dinner, I think I've made enough to feed all of you so those gaps in the freezer are going to be filled may have it for lunch tomorrow as well
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,096 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Lasagne , the gift that keeps on giving:rotfl::rotfl:
    I've one portion left of a spinach & riccotta one made a couple of months ago plus a one-person veggi one made from spare veg sauce from making the first one. I do like lasagne but find it impossible to make a small amount :eek:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback