PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I've just put orange chicken on to cook.
    That uses up an individual orange carton I bought in at Xmas and the remnants of a jar of marmalade that's been kicking around for months and cluttering up the place.
    Just 250g of chicken, so not a biggun. Two portions.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yesterday was a good day wrt food and exercise, Hail expected today so no cycling but I can carry on with the food. Fish is arriving today and quick freeze is now on.

Same nut roast/feta salad as yesterday for lunch. Last meal is cod and pesto and a few veg including the last brocolli and caulie. De-frosted berry/apple compote and hm yogurt for sometime also some pistacheos and a self indulgent hm fruit scone for other times

Looking out my window, I am wondering why I bothered to clean the outside of my windows last week. Lesson is learnt, next time I am only cleaning windows seen by visitors
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    kittie wrote: »
    Lesson is learnt, next time I am only cleaning windows seen by visitors

... and then, only at the last minute .... and only if you really think they'll notice. You can always make a remark "don't know if it's dust from abroad, we've had funny weather lately ... I only cleaned those last week!" :)
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,
    As I live so close to the sea my windows are always covered in salt /sand that gets picked up in the wind. Cleaning them in the winter is definitely a thankless task.
    It's another murky, windy, damp day today and definitely colder. Thankfully I don't need to go anywhere though if it's dry later I'll take a wander round the block.
    It's my Dad's birthday today so he's popping over for a coffee and we'll have a family dinner on Sunday when hopefully his tummy is back to 100%. I'm not sure yet what my food plans for today are as originally I was cooking for everyone tonight.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    good tip about the widows pn :D

at least you have a good excuse caronc :D

I had a small breakfast at 6 so just had a boiled egg and thin slice of spelt. Been out because I ran out of eggs and I needed eggs because I have LO yeo yogurt which I want to finish and not waste. Now I am ready to go, making a nigella bundt, which will cut into at least 20 slices for freezing. While at it, I am ready to bake a peasant loaf in bm, first time for 100% peasant flour in the bm so fingers crossed. I am putting it on french bread setting(longer rise) and added a bit more yeast. I am expecting a pretty dense loaf which will fill me when eaten. For the interested
    https://www.bakerybits.co.uk/medieval-peasant-s-blend-flour.html
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I'd be interested in knowing how that bread turns out Kittie.

NB; One of the reviews did say they felt it needed to be hand-made and not done in a bread machine.....

It would be useful to describe the sorta taste it has to you as well - as I've figured out that I've got different tastebuds to you - as some of the food you like would match my tastebuds (eg dark chocolate for instance) - but there are other things that don't sound to my personal tastes. Have come to conclusion you've probably got Polish tastebuds and I've got middle Eastern/Californian ones (gawdknowswhy).

Is that a "coriander - yes or no" query? I guess so. As I gather some of us like coriander (hence it's in so many recipes at the moment) and there's others that have different tastebuds and really don't like it and think it tastes like soap. That would be me then. I'm a coriander-hater and usually just avoid recipes with it in - as I know I have to substitute something else for it.
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I bought some muesli yesterday so I am having a bowl with almond milk. It's not GF, but it is wheat-free. It was nice. :)
  • caronc
    Options
    This is in the context that I love my sister dearly but :mad::mad:, I noticed that my large pestle & mortar was awol. (Observation skills aren't my strong point as it is huge, heavy and uaually sits on my kitchen island so how I didn't notice before I have no idea:o). Much raking ensued in cupboards incase when folk were clearing up after "gatherings" it had been stashed, but no not there. Now my sister is notorious for borrowing kitchen things that are then never seen again so I texted her. Yep she has it and nope I probably didn't know that :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    I suspect it might be easier to get a new one rather than hope it is ever seen in my kitchen again........
  • Wednesday2000
    Wednesday2000 Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    ^ Lol, you mean she borrowed it without asking you?!:eek:

I meant to say that I've only visited Cambridge for a weekend, but I really liked it. Very pretty. I didn't try punting.:D
  • caronc
    Options
    ^ Lol, you mean she borrowed it without asking you?!:eek:

I meant to say that I've only visited Cambridge for a weekend, but I really liked it. Very pretty. I didn't try punting.:D
    Yep :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    Apparently I was in the shower though my son was here so he knew;)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback