PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    It's true Farway. It's to do with covid....
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    That's weird about the returns, Morrison's are still doing them,  but not taking carrier bags back 🤔
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
  • threepenny_bit
    Options
    Pretty windy chilly day here and so I made bendy veg soup for lunch with sandwiches. Tea is going to be African sweet potato stew for which I found an older packet mix lurking in the cupboard. Needs a sweet potato, tinned toms, some coconut milk and a little turkey mince. I have all these things lurking so tea sorted lol! 

EF - save $1000 in 2024 $70 saved

Annual Grocery shop $496/3000 - had to increase by $500 in March as groceries were so expensive, this is now $250 per month.
    March February $300 January $196

My Grocery vouchers not included in the annual total - I have $100 costco (Used January)
    Still have $35 Walmart and $25 Save on.

Started a diary to help me stay on track … @Time to slash the shopping budget and use up the store cupboard
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,348 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    3d, that looks tasty, hope it was
    Wet & rainy here this morning, ideal day for a stew like 3d's, not that I have one
    I received the refund from Asda without any bother, mind it was only £2.50 so not going to bankrupt them, or me come to that
    Actually now I look at the pie dish although too small for a "proper" pie it is ideal size to stick a couple of bangers / posh fish fingers in to oven cook
    Yesterday's meals failed, I scoffed all the HM use up rice pudding, sneaky spoonful by sneaky spoonful, and that was dinner, along with warmed LO beans eaten direct from the pan :blush:

Hoping to do better today, lunch could be grilled cheese on toast
    Dinner, toying with using the LO XCFO not so fresh cauli in a cauliflower cheese. It will depend on the state of the cauli, looks OK but so did the Iceberg the other day, it wasn't until I cut into it that the truth was revealed :|
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon, 
    Yikes I misread and had a horrible vision of HM rice pudding topped with baked beans for a moment!  :lol:
    Back to bright and frosty here this morning. After all the rain yesterday it's very icy underfoot but it's good to see the sunshine. My balance is still a tad iffy but better than yesterday, I'm hoping that I've persuaded the "wonky donkey" that it doesn't been an outing!
    Our cheesy nachos, refried & veg  beans last night were really tasty. I usually buy taco shells but the tortilla chips made a nice change and used up most of a bag that had been lurking in the cupboard for a while.
    My son is in charge of dinner tonight and we are trying a new recipe from one of his Chinese cook books - braised chicken thighs and chestnuts. It uses a pack of vac packed chestnuts rather than water chestnuts which handily I also have lurking in the cupboard. We'll have it with steamed rice and savoy cabbage. HM soup for lunch with some toast to dip.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I spent the day on a conference call between  9.15 - 6pm we were allowed a hour for lunch 😐 but I did decamped to the sofa with the laptop for the afternoon where I tried not to doze off due to the exciting topic, especially difficult due to cuddles from his lordship 😁 luckily I stayed alert enough to chip in when needed.

lunch was a mug of turkey soup, this has been a lovely one 😋 I would ask my sister to get me another turkey drumstick if she goes to the farm shop first although they don't always have them, but I'm afraid she will turn up with two so I can make her soup as well 🙄

Dinner was the last of the cold chicken with stir fried veg and noodles.  Annoyingly I broke the lid of a glass casserole dish, my own fault as I haven't put it away probably and it fell out of the cupboard when I was rummaging  :s I used it a lot to roast individual items, maybe I need to look out for one of your dishes Farway 
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,348 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Wet & rainy start and wet forecast all day, which is a slight bummer because I have to go to hospital this afternoon to get 24 hour ECG monitor wired up, fingers crossed the Covid is continuing to keep car park clear

I did make the cauli cheese last night, and it was just the right CFO size, eaten in PN CFO style, right out of the dish it was cooked in, literally oven to table :blush:
    Lunch I think will be marmalade on toast, just fancy that with a cuppa
    Dinner, probably LO ham, HM chips, fried eggs & maybe open tin of beans
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone, 
    Hard to beat a good turkey soup Brambling, I must make a pot soon.
    Good luck at the hospital this afternoon Farway.
    It's tipping it down with sleety rain here today, I chanced a very brief lull to retrieve the recycling bin after it was emptied and just about made it back in before the skies emptied again. My son did similar at lunchtime to bring in more logs and promptly got soaked. 
    Last of the current batch of HM soup for lunch. My son had his with some LO rice from yesterday. The braised chicken and chestnut dish was very good. It was this recipe Braised Chicken With Chestnuts | Guest Recipes | Nigella's Recipes | Nigella Lawson halved which worked well. In the actual book it says serves 4 served with other dishes or two as a main which was the case for us though we only used three thighs. I'd have been happy if there had been LOs :smile:
    Another new recipe is being tried tonight JO's "White fish tagine" from the 7 Ways book.
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,183 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I hope QA wasn't too busy Farway 

Funny enough Caronc I was looking at some cod in my freezer last night and thinking about JOs tagine I look forward to your review tomorrow 😁  I did look at a sachet of chestnuts in T Exp earlier having checked out your Nigella recipe then couldn't remember if I had a lurking pack, so that could be on next week's menu as I have the other ingredients 🙂

Just a quick trip up to T Exp tonight, I noticed my milk was dated today, it's still ok but would hate to have no cuppa in the morning.  I may copy Farway and make some rice pudding tomorrow with it to avoid wastage 😁 15 mins in my pressure cooker 

Lunch was the last of my turkey soup and dinner roast veg lasagna from the freezer 
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • threepenny_bit
    Options
    We need a turkey soup here as we have freezing rain today and everywhere is just cold and icy. My fruit and veg box is delayed due to bad weather and I dont have any potatoes so will have to wait for soup or stew lol! Think it will be gammon slice with eggs and beans for hubby, eggs, beans ands maybe a turkey sausage for me instead. 
    Could do to shop and get milk but too yucky outside to venture out again really. I have some items I sold ready to post but will do that tomorrow as well. 

EF - save $1000 in 2024 $70 saved

Annual Grocery shop $496/3000 - had to increase by $500 in March as groceries were so expensive, this is now $250 per month.
    March February $300 January $196

My Grocery vouchers not included in the annual total - I have $100 costco (Used January)
    Still have $35 Walmart and $25 Save on.

Started a diary to help me stay on track … @Time to slash the shopping budget and use up the store cupboard
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 7 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure