edited 13 January 2018 at 9:51AM in Old Style MoneySaving
14.1K replies 901.8K views

Replies

• BramblingBrambling Forumite
    2.8K posts
    1,000 Posts Third Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Change is always good Farway  :) 

My feet were definitely dragging today and I was more than ready to log out and close the laptop at 5pm, I've no plans for the weekend other than the usual housework and if fine a little gardening 

lunch was another portion of carrot soup, the last from the freezer.  My plans for dinner changed as one of my sisters was on the phone for an hour gossiping catching up so I quickly airfried some fishfingers and a courgette fritter from the freezer.  I'll use the smoked haddock tomorrow
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    caronc said:

It would be beans for me Farway, no contest as I'm not keen on tinned pasta at all (with the exception of tinned ravioli which I really like :smile:).
    You're right, having tried the tinned pasta last night I'll stick to beans , especially multi buy offer. 
    Weather's dull but mild, OK for your gardening B, I went for my amble round the block earlier, nothing of note to report but amazing just how many flowers are still out, including a sunflower

Today is convenience food day, again
    Lunch will be a couple of PB rolls, normally I choose PB baguettes but these were subs in my Iceland delivery, they do not have "no sub" or "Notes" option so get what you're given
    Dinner, from freezer, either three cheese pizza or MFO stab & ping
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good afternoon everyone, 
    Cold, wet and grey here today.
    Kitchen work resumes, my role is to stay out of the way lol!
    I'm on the hunt for a new mattress as mine is fairly old and definitely not as comfy as it used to be. An unplanned for spend so my savings will take a hit but needs must and I want to get something half decent. 
    Ended up having AF sausage and chips with peas & beans for dinner yesterday so LO beans on toast for lunch. Southern fried chicken thighs (not HM), coleslaw, baked spuds and corn for dinner tonight. 

2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Evening all  :)

Caronc I'm not sure if you run too hot but if you do I was told when I brought mine to avoid memory foam ones as they can make you very hot.  The middle aged woman assistant reached across the young lad serving me and warned me, she then had to promise to explain why later to the lad 😁🥵 I know one of my sisters has said she gets too hot with theirs.  I know your temperatures get lower than ours in the warm south so may not be a problem   :)

I spent a little while in the front garden although I was interrupted a several times by neighbours so not so much done as I planned but I'm not really complaining  ;)  I did start to straighten the edge of the back lawn but decided I had better get some string / sticks to ensure a straight line so put it off until tomorrow.

Lunch was a quick beans on toast I've come to the same conclusion as you two with tinned pasta, it seems to lack favour these days, must be either my tastebuds or more likely because they've removed the salt and sugar  :s dinner was part of the JO Cullen skink fishcake recipe minus the sauce so basically a smoked haddock fish cake using LO mash 🙂 with green veg 
  • FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    'morning, I've been up for ages, woke & couldn't drop back off so up & about about 5ish
    Actually it was pot of tea & plonked in front of TV, caught up on couple of recorded programmes anyway
    Nothing else is planned for the day except change the bedding, I's not raining but is dull & damp

I've taken a chicken in white wine sauce MFO out to defrost, was chilled and needs defrosting before pinging so it says, I have time so not a problem,
    Lunch another coupe of the PB rolls, they turned out quite nice actually so although I'll not pick by choice if stuck I know they'll do the job
    I had Cheese & sliced fresh onion inside, probably same again today
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone, 
    Yes Brambling memory foam will be avoided as while I like a toasty bed I don't want to melt :wink:
    Cold and wet here  again today.
    Small step in the right direction earlier, I'm still pretty wonky on my feet but manage to wash my hair without feeling dreadful and having to lie down afterwards :smile: 
    Kitchen work continues and it's back to messy prep getting surfaces sanded ready for painting but it's slowly but surely getting there and I'm still (just) within the budget I set though it may go slightly over if we need more paint. That said we've done a lot more than we set out when it was initially planned so I'm more than happy with what's been spent.  :D
    IKEA hot dogs in finger rolls for brunch and I've a small joint of lamb rump defrosted for dinner. 

• FarwayFarway Forumite
    9.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just had a narrow escape, amending my next @sda delivery, adding bananas, usually I have five, so merrily clocked up five and only spotted they no longer sell loose ones online, so my five had become five packs of seven, amended of course but now I have to have seven & not five, fingers crossed they are not too ripe on arrival
    I'm in Co-op Tuesday to post a parcel so may find looses ones there, last weeks ones were rubbish though so can't rely on them
    2.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think you missed an opportunity to cheer us up Farway with 101 ways to use bananas  :disappointed:

You're wise getting the work all done now Caronc when you have your son to do the hard labour  :)

My sinuses seem to be playing up again, just the one side but my eye is painful plus a sinus headache so a quiet day in.  

Lunch was brie, crackers and some grapes.  Dinner was a little disappointing, I brought a small piece of beef from W8itrose 25% off as an introduction price but it was tough, almost as it was cut on the grain wrong.  The veg was nice :) steam cabbage, green beans and roast parsnips 
  • caronccaronc Forumite
    6.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Good morning everyone, 
    Yikes Farway! I got caught out like that once but with cooked ham, unfortunately I didn't catch it at the time and ended up with several large packets. Thankfully the gannets  beloved children still lived at home so it did get used and not wasted but it was an expensive mistake.
    Cold but dry here just now though it's to get wet and windy again in a few hours.
    My kitchen is really beginning to take shape but dust-busting phase umpteen will be my challenge this week as well as gutting out my bedroom ready for my new mattress which should be arriving tomorrow. I'm feeling quite MSE as the one I liked was in a Black Friday sale with a decent amount off but a quick check found it with another seller in their BF sale with a further £100+ off.  :D 
    Yesterday's lamb rump  joint was superb, it would have fed three quite happily but we were greedy beggars and scoffed the lot! Bagels with smoked salmon & cream cheese, I found a pack of salmon in the freezer bought last year but never used. I'm not sure how well it will have fared and didn't want to risk keeping it for Christmas in case it wasn't great. Fingers crossed it will be just fine and we can enjoy a couple of days of "posh" lunches. JO sausage and broccoli pasta for dinner this evening.

• greenbeegreenbee Forumite
    14.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @caronc - I feel your pain on the dust. My sink has just been installed (well, the hole made and the sink plonked in it... I can’t get a plumber at the moment) so the kitchen is full of dust - and probably he rest of the house too. I have no clue when I’m going to get round to emptying all the cupboards, washing the contents, wiping out all the cupboards and putting everything back.

No cooking going on. I need chocolate...