PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one (Mark Three)

Options

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,321 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Going out in a bit... wandering. It's a shame the Sunday market/indoor market/covered car boot closes at 2pm, else I'd go there for an hour's shuffle... to kill time.

It chucked it down here about 1430 plus blowing a hooley, Yellow weather warning until tomorrow. Hope you found cover before hand
    The garden tidying was binned due to the wind & rain:j

My package arrived [dvds], less than 24 hours from ordering. I know the tax methods are not as one may wish but the service is good

It was cheese on toast for lunch, spud is now baking. I'll pop the salmon fillet foil parcel in later
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • Brambling
    Brambling Posts: 5,167 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I watched the Countryfile weather for the week ahead Farway it looks like we're in for a battering this week

I think cooking the lamb shanks in the oven was a mistake, they took longer than expected tonight I'm hoping it's them and not the oven. I threw in some pearl barley part way through and twenty minutes before the end there may have been dumplings added to the pot :whistle:
    Life shrinks or expands in proportion to one's courage   -          Anais Nin
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options

I know, I was very surprised how good they were! I'm very glad that now meat companies are jumping on the vegan bandwagon.:rotfl::T

(Richmond vegan sausages)
    Going to try them in a good old fashioned sausage casserole, brown them first and I think they'll work quite well without trying to dissolve or going mushy

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Farway
    Options
    Brambling wrote: »
    I watched the Countryfile weather for the week ahead Farway it looks like we're in for a battering this week
    Seems so, I'll make the most of today then. Hoping to get photo of the moon tonight, cold & clear forecast. It looks nice outside at the moment

Porridge breakfast
    Lunch probably warmed up LO salmon pasta. Mmmm, sounds tasty;)
    Dinner, is use up & freezer clearance.
    It's big pot of mash [use up spuds] & defrosting boil in bag kipper fillets. I will also nuke last of frozen peas to go with
    Brambling wrote: »
    I think cooking the lamb shanks in the oven was a mistake, they took longer than expected tonight I'm hoping it's them and not the oven. I threw in some pearl barley part way through and twenty minutes before the end there may have been dumplings added to the pot :whistle:
    Hope it was the LS, wrong time of year for duff ovens, even CFO needs oven sometimes

Good call on the dumplings
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,116 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Good morning everyone,

A very welcome change in the weather here - dry & sunny:) though it's very cold. The storm blew itself out in the early hours and seemed to go from fully raging to gone in a blink!
    Pie and pudding was a success the pie got demolished but I have spare filling and pastry so will knock a CFO sized one up for the freezer.:D There's quite a bit of pud left even though my nephew managed two helpings! The recipe either made more than I remember or our pudding eating capacity has waned. My nephew is popping round later and will no doubt manage another helping while he's here.:cool:
    There's some root veg mash left so I'll have that with bangers, sprouts and tenderstem broccoli for dinner tonight I think. I need to sort out a meal plan for the coming week but had held off until I saw what I had by way of LOs after yesterday.

Pastrami sarnie again for lunch and I'll portion and freeze what's left of the pack.
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I feel like I have 101 things to do today. Two of the three deliveries have been delivered. I've called the council, the GP, the vet and the person who drives our dogs to the vet for us. I've ordered an Asda grocery delivery too.

I need to wait for this next delivery as it's meant to be before 1 pm and then go through my 2020 diary and write down all the important dates I need to remember.

I've had toast so far and lots of green tea. It's sunny but cold here today.:) I have the leftover HM soup for lunch.
  • Farway
    Options
    The warmed up LO salmon pasta for lunch was as awful as it sounds:( I had to add goodly splosh of ketchup to improve it.

Somethings do not improve with maturing overnight

Boil in bag kippers defrosted, only have to peel & mash spuds and dinner's done
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Farway wrote: »
    Somethings do not improve with maturing overnight

Contrary to what a lot of batch cookers, or "freeze the extra portion", or "eat the leftovers tomorrow" gangs will have you believe, very few foods do actually improve with time. Most leftovers degrade from being "a tasty little plate of food" down to "meh, just food, I'm only eating it to save waste"

:)
  • unrecordings
    unrecordings Posts: 2,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Contrary to what a lot of batch cookers, or "freeze the extra portion", or "eat the leftovers tomorrow" gangs will have you believe, very few foods do actually improve with time. Most leftovers degrade from being "a tasty little plate of food" down to "meh, just food, I'm only eating it to save waste"

:)

I'm testing that theory tonight, I've a Moo Pie to eat (use by tomorrow), so having that with mushy peas, oven chips & portion of LO mash which was Saturday's sausage & mash and yesterday's bubble & squeak. Tonight it gets turned into what outwardly will look like aloo chop except in harbouring a fiendish secret per the Goodness Gracious Me sketch. It can sit on the oven tray (*) with the pie.

* We tend to use a 4x Yorkshire Pudding tray to help identify the vegan/non vegan, and isolate spillages

Why am I in this handcart and where are we going ?
  • Wednesday2000
    Options
    I was thinking earlier how much nicer that leftover HM soup tasted after being in the fridge!:D

I am having veggie pulled pork with basmati rice, peas, corn, carrots and green beans later. I'm a bit hungry now so I will have a snack of something.

I've been drinking hot herbal tea all day but I still feel cold. I just got myself a hot water bottle to put on my lap.:)
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback