Top Bank Accounts Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• Kazz3887
    Options
    I have 4 accounts with one bank and i was thinking of switching just one of them to a halifax account because one of my others has a high overdraft and the fee for it is an acceptable rate. Would i be able to swich just the one current account or will all of them switch if i go ahead
  • Steve_xx
    Steve_xx Posts: 6,976 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Kazz3887 wrote: »
    I have 4 accounts with one bank and i was thinking of switching just one of them to a halifax account because one of my others has a high overdraft and the fee for it is an acceptable rate. Would i be able to swich just the one current account or will all of them switch if i go ahead
    Only the account number and sort code that you specify will be switched. Any others remain as is.
  • Toki
    Toki Posts: 288 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm going to switch from Halifax to Santander 123 account. The guide on MSE states that the old account is closed once the switch is complete.

Is it possible to leave the old / existing account open after switching? In my case the Halifax account.

Thanks in advance.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    Toki wrote: »
    I'm going to switch from Halifax to Santander 123 account. The guide on MSE states that the old account is closed once the switch is complete.

Is it possible to leave the old / existing account open after switching? In my case the Halifax account.

Thanks in advance.

Well why have you gone to the trouble of switching? Why didn't you opt to simply open the Santander account without switching?
  • Toki
    Toki Posts: 288 Forumite
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    Well why have you gone to the trouble of switching? Why didn't you opt to simply open the Santander account without switching?

I haven't yet. I'm going to.

I want to move my DD's to get the cashback from Santander but leave the Halifax account open also.
  • Steve_xx
    Options
    Toki wrote: »
    I haven't yet. I'm going to.

I want to move my DD's to get the cashback from Santander but leave the Halifax account open also.
    You can move them yourself by asking the companies you pay them to, to take them from your new account.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    If you use the 7-day switching service, your old account will be closed. It is how the switching service works.

http://www.paymentscouncil.org.uk/switch_service/
  • bouicca21
    bouicca21 Posts: 6,518 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I had no problem opening a Santander 123 and then just moving the DDs that would get cashback. As suggested above it's a good idea to transfer them just after a payment has gone out, as that allows plenty of time just in case of faff.
  • makemdano
    Options
    Steve_xx wrote: »
    You can move them yourself by asking the companies you pay them to, to take them from your new account.

Quidco were offering cashback but conditional on using the new bank account switching service operated by most (all?) banks.
    The old account is automatically closed when you use this service
    The direct debit switching is seamless and usually trouble free
    If you use the service you can still instruct your "old" bank to keep your "old" account open - cashback is still paid
    Speaking from recent experience
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    Options
    makemdano wrote: »
    Quidco were offering cashback but conditional on using the new bank account switching service operated by most (all?) banks.
    The old account is automatically closed when you use this service
    The direct debit switching is seamless and usually trouble free
    If you use the service you can still instruct your "old" bank to keep your "old" account open - cashback is still paid
    Speaking from recent experience

The switching service closes the old bank account. You can't ask for it to remain open. You said this yourself above !
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback