Las Vegas guide and MSE thread 2018

Options

Comments

• bairn7
    bairn7 Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello! I'm flying to Vegas in a couple of weeks. This time I won't be visiting the strip as I have Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon, Arches and Great Basin to visit in the space of 10 days!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of companies or websites which offer guaranteed model car hire? I'm not looking for exotic sports cars or anything, but want a good full size/premium car. Most sites I have found show cars like BMWs on their pictures but when you click through it's the standard Altima or similar! And you know you're getting an Altima!

I'd love a guaranteed model like an Impala, Maxima, or any Infiniti. Know it's a longshot but don't want to pay on the hope of this and end up with a bog standard rental. I'm willing to pay extra for the guaranteed model.

Thanks!
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I think that SIXT mainly use BMW stock for all of their range. I have a couple of American friend who uses them a lot. Not sure if you will find them on any of the standard companies recommended on here though.
  • bairn7
    bairn7 Posts: 579 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Thanks

I actually used BMW just as an example of a stock photo that seems to be used (certainly on the UK sites). I'm hopeful for a full size US car. After numerous trips, I just don't want the bog standard Altima, Chrysler 200 or Sebring that I normally get. Last time, albeit granted it was Phoenix, I lucked out and got a Maxima and loved it. Just would like something a bit better than normal given that this will be a big driving trip.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    I think if you are after an Impala, Maxima, or Infiniti for example you need to look in the 'luxury/prestige' category of cars. These are usually a premium price compared to standard and full size. Maybe go for a full size then at the desk see what upgrades deal to luxury they have. Don't take their first offer, try and barter down a deal. I know it is a risk but often the luxury price is OTT IMO.

I normally rent through Auto Europe and you can see the example of categories each rental company offers.
  • pebblesmax
    pebblesmax Posts: 2,279 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    He’s ask Stuie about that. He seems to get a premium car most of the time.
  • stevie11
    stevie11 Posts: 682 Forumite
    Options
    Ha yes Stuie's $20 trick seems to work;)
  • bigstevex
    Options
    bairn7 wrote: »
    Hello! I'm flying to Vegas in a couple of weeks. This time I won't be visiting the strip as I have Grand Canyon, Canyonlands, Bryce Canyon, Arches and Great Basin to visit in the space of 10 days!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of companies or websites which offer guaranteed model car hire? I'm not looking for exotic sports cars or anything, but want a good full size/premium car. Most sites I have found show cars like BMWs on their pictures but when you click through it's the standard Altima or similar! And you know you're getting an Altima!

I'd love a guaranteed model like an Impala, Maxima, or any Infiniti. Know it's a longshot but don't want to pay on the hope of this and end up with a bog standard rental. I'm willing to pay extra for the guaranteed model.

Thanks!

Hertz have premium cars which are model specific that you can hire such as Mercs/Infinity etc. Or if you're a gold member or higher you walk into the rental lot and pick the car you want from your allocated zone for the class you've paid (gives you options if you prefer one brand over another)
  • Brats64
    Brats64 Posts: 465 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    bobbyhibs wrote: »
    of course not, I prefer to think of it as getting more bucks for your pound!
    when are you going to new york in may? my brother and I are there for 6 days w/c 14th counting down the days already

We are in New York from the 12th -17th May bobby. :)
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,363 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    bairn7 wrote: »
    Thanks

I actually used BMW just as an example of a stock photo that seems to be used (certainly on the UK sites). I'm hopeful for a full size US car. After numerous trips, I just don't want the bog standard Altima, Chrysler 200 or Sebring that I normally get. Last time, albeit granted it was Phoenix, I lucked out and got a Maxima and loved it. Just would like something a bit better than normal given that this will be a big driving trip.

The cars you mention ie the Chrysler 200 are in the next category down to full size with Alamo at LAS. If you book an alamo full size you won’t gtee a model but we usually end up with a fusion ( mondeo) which are nice to drive , I can’t remember what else they have in that catergory tho
  • littlereddevil
    Options
    You have to choose the category you want when you book. We usually choose Alamo. They let us choose out of the models that are available when we get there. If they are out of your category ( only usually happens in smaller places ) you get upgraded. We got a Maxima from them earlier this month in Key West.
    travelover
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport