PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Options

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    C_J wrote: »
    I love it when something like that happens. It's like the charity shop fairies are looking out for you!
    I’m looking forward to hearing what you acquire tomorrow...it’s a Nettlebed day, isn’t it?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,722 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Latest bargain from Barnados:
    White Stuff khaki mans casual jacket £3.99 (reduced from £7.99).
    It had been on the ladies rail.
    Great fabric, looks unworn, it's this one (£99.95 :eek:):
    https://www.whitestuff.com/mens/coats-and-jackets/khaki-trench-field-jacket/
    OH will love it, I've put it away for his birthday.

And a GAP long sleeved, curved hem, very soft jersey top in oatmeal.
    Perfect for casual wear with leggings. £2.29 BHF
  • dolly84
    dolly84 Posts: 5,851 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Had a little look around some CS today and picked up a Fairmont & Main dinner service. We got 4 large dinner plates, 6 side plates, 4 dessert plates and 5 bowls, odd numbers but fine for us, it has pastel spots which pretty much match my £1 teapot bought last month. It is a heavyweight set and seems quite pricey, we paid £7. All my horrible chipped plates (some of which were over 25 years old) have gone, anything else chipped has gone too, we have our crockery on a wall rack so this looks much better.

DD got a really pretty cream photo frame for her bedroom for £1.49 too.
    Debt Free and now a saver, conscious consumer, low waste lifestyler

Fashion on the Ration 28/66
  • Frith
    Frith Posts: 8,172 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    St Richards Hospice shop in Stourport yesterday.

As new Superdry hoodie for son 2. £7 but goodness knows how much it cost originally. He hasn!!!8217;t taken it off !
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,909 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Hauled over to Bolton by 19 year old wanting to get his birthday presents "the old school way" - in person. After he'd had fun, we strolled back to the car via the cs route (with some grumbling, but the promise of a lift home in the family car eventually) and lo - a denby chevron coffeepot - a small one, just a pint, was glowing on a shelf well above my eyeline let alone head height. Yet the youngling saw it, reached it down & said "Mum?..."

He's since eaten most of a chocolate birthday cake (we helped finish the rest) & is generally pleased!
  • bobsa1
    bobsa1 Posts: 1,947 Forumite
    Options
    I've got a bit of a mixed tale in that I went to the cs where all bric a brac is 3 for £1 and got 2 prinknash pottery vases and a Johnson bros coffee pot for £1. The vases are similar in shape to this but have a stylised 1950s type rose painted on them
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=prinknash+pottery+small+vase+brown+roses&rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB627GB627&hl=en-GB&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4w9X7-4rZAhVSL1AKHXZNCjEQ_AUIESgB&biw=414&bih=660#imgrc=PnonGu2v31oqlM:

I was very pleased with my £1 purchase until the coffee pot fell over in the car and the handle smashed. I nearly wept which is ridiculous as it cost approx 33p.

Yesterday I was feeling a bit low and went to the local cs where I bought an unused cath kidston breakfast cup and saucer for £1.95 which actually made my day (it's amazing how a lucky cs find can cheer one up) then today I bought a brand new with tag pair of crop jeans from next in a cs in York. More pricey than my usual cs but still a bargain at £5.95 and fab for my holiday to Malta next week
  • C_J
    C_J Posts: 3,042 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    I’m looking forward to hearing what you acquire tomorrow...it’s a Nettlebed day, isn’t it?

It was indeed a Nettlebed day yesterday. It was cold and drizzly and miserable there, but on the plus side it meant that hardly anyone else went and it’s so much more pleasant when it’s not crowded. I didn’t stay long (it’s taking me ages to recuperate from the dose of flu I had last month, and I get so tired) and there were no spectacular bargains to be had. However I still managed to spend just over £20 and got:

A large Pyroflam saucepan (a bit like Pyrex but you can use them in the oven and on the hob). Pleased with this, I’ve been after one for ages.

An electric tin opener

A panini press

A new, sealed candle making set

A new, sealed soap making set

Three single duvet covers, in brightly coloured children’s patterns. I want the material for craft projects, and they are perfect for this.

A bag of patterned cotton fat quarters, for crafting.

A double size dark purple pure wool blanket, as new condition, for crafting.

6 large unopened packs of cling type rubber stamps. I’ve just acquired the Tim Holz stamping platform so was pleased to increase my stock of suitable stamps.

A carrier bag full of large dark wood curtain rings, about two or three inches in diameter. I’m going to ‘upcycle’ these into Christmas tree decorations, I have a plan in mind!

Several books for my teacher-daughter’s primary school class, a book on wood turning techniques for Mister CJ, a book of Christmas ornament knitting patterns, a book of cross stitch charts and two cookery books for me.
  • Pollycat
    Options
    C_J wrote: »
    It was indeed a Nettlebed day yesterday. It was cold and drizzly and miserable there, but on the plus side it meant that hardly anyone else went and it’s so much more pleasant when it’s not crowded. I didn’t stay long (it’s taking me ages to recuperate from the dose of flu I had last month, and I get so tired) and there were no spectacular bargains to be had. However I still managed to spend just over £20 and got:

A large Pyroflam saucepan (a bit like Pyrex but you can use them in the oven and on the hob). Pleased with this, I’ve been after one for ages.
    I have quite a lot of these casserole dishes in various sizes and love them. I always keep my eye open in charity shops for them.
    Great when you want to brown something before putting it in the oven.
    They can also go in the freezer (when it's not full of woollies, that is :rotfl:)

'Proper' flu is awful, it can take ages to feel well again. I had a dreadful bout many years ago and the last sick note the doctor wrote said 'influenza, laryngitis and pharyngitis'. I was off work for a month, went back (too soon) for 3 days and was off for another 2 weeks. It took me a good six months to feel 100% (and I was very fit at the time) so do try not to push yourself too much. :)

Yesterday I bought a lovely patterned casual spring/autumn weight short jacket (lined with cotton) in khaki with an Aztec-y pattern of cream, pink and grey.
    Nice stud trim.
    It was 'Crafted' brand which I've since discovered isn't that expensive but it was only £3.00 (Lighthouse shop) and I can see me wearing it a lot. It has a Mantaray sort of look.
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,910 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    bobsa1 wrote: »
    I've got a bit of a mixed tale in that I went to the cs where all bric a brac is 3 for £1 and got 2 prinknash pottery vases and a Johnson bros coffee pot for £1. The vases are similar in shape to this but have a stylised 1950s type rose painted on them
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=prinknash+pottery+small+vase+brown+roses&rlz=1CDGOYI_enGB627GB627&hl=en-GB&prmd=isnv&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4w9X7-4rZAhVSL1AKHXZNCjEQ_AUIESgB&biw=414&bih=660#imgrc=PnonGu2v31oqlM:

I was very pleased with my £1 purchase until the coffee pot fell over in the car and the handle smashed. I nearly wept which is ridiculous as it cost approx 33p.

Yesterday I was feeling a bit low and went to the local cs where I bought an unused cath kidston breakfast cup and saucer for £1.95 which actually made my day (it's amazing how a lucky cs find can cheer one up) then today I bought a brand new with tag pair of crop jeans from next in a cs in York. More pricey than my usual cs but still a bargain at £5.95 and fab for my holiday to Malta next week

Awww what a shame about the coffee pot and I do so agree with you about how a lucky find in a charity shop can really lift one's mood! Much better than Prozac!! I don't usually go charity shop hunting on a Saturday but yesterday found me in the local community shop....I was meant to be there cos I found a set of 6 boxed red wine glasses in Bohemia crystal, (all perfect - I did the 'ping' test :p), priced at £2.50. Just found them selling for £34.95 on Amazon. The main thing that attracted me to them, apart from the price of course, was that the rims were cut straight across rather than having a 'rolled' edge. Yonks ago a wine snob friend told me that you should not drink good red wine from a rolled edge glass as the rolled edge does not direct the wine to the correct taste receptors on the tongue. Dunno how true it is but I have never forgotten it and have hated drinking from rolled edge glasses ever since. :o
  • Pollycat
    edited 4 February 2018 at 2:00PM
    Options
    s-l1600.jpg
    My 'Crafted' jacket is this one.
    It has a drawstring waist so you can make it look more fitted, and the colour is a more pronounced khaki.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure