Travelling On

Options

Comments

• Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,824 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    They'll very likely ask you if you've been named on any other insurance anyway - and when you say no, that will give away that you've not been driving regularly. Obviously tell them whatever you like - but their premiums will be based on an algorithm, so they will have set things they think are important to ask (which are based on risk statistics) and outside that, whatever you tell them won't likely have any effect on premiums anyway. I imagine you're a pretty low risk category anyway. And if you do tell them you haven't driven for xx years, also tell them you've had lessons again recently - there's no point telling them the 'higher' risk one without the lower risk one! 😊 

Good idea to add someone else as a named driver - that can sometimes reduce premiums too, as well as being a good back up. I take it you've read the MSE car insurance guide?

Hope your washing got dry, and you had some time out in the sunshine 😊
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    They'll very likely ask you if you've been named on any other insurance anyway - and when you say no, that will give away that you've not been driving regularly. Obviously tell them whatever you like - but their premiums will be based on an algorithm, so they will have set things they think are important to ask (which are based on risk statistics) and outside that, whatever you tell them won't likely have any effect on premiums anyway. I imagine you're a pretty low risk category anyway. And if you do tell them you haven't driven for xx years, also tell them you've had lessons again recently - there's no point telling them the 'higher' risk one without the lower risk one! 😊 
    There's a lot of very good points in that Cheery.  Thank you 🌞  Honestly, I'd be so ignorant about so much without forum members pointing me in the right direction.

Good idea to add someone else as a named driver - that can sometimes reduce premiums too, as well as being a good back up. I take it you've read the MSE car insurance guide?
    I think I've read that ... that's where I found Martin's form?  I'll check 😊 I couldn't guarantee you that!

Hope your washing got dry, and you had some time out in the sunshine 😊
    Washing did *not* get dry, just a little bit maybe 🤣  and I got some gardening done - pruning, and cutting grass - and after a rest, a good walk, down to my mahoosive charity shop, which had some very nice china to admire (but not buy).  

Strictly is my friend right now, plus youtube music later on, while I'm looking at Ancestry and FindMyPast, but my central heating is playing up a bit - it has a mind of its own about when it comes on 🙄 and I disapprove of this 🤣  I do still have the instruction booklet, at the bottom of a particular box file, so I may be forced to translate it, uck.  The heating's been on today, its just the programming.  Hey ho: worse things happen at sea.
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • SuperSecretSquirrel
    SuperSecretSquirrel Posts: 1,046 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    edited 12 November 2023 at 11:03AM
    Options
    Your sister being a named driver on your policy for your car shouldn't affect her own premium. The only way you could affect her premium is by being a named driver on her policy for her car (probably avoid that, for the first few years at least).

Having her as a named driver makes great practical sense (per Baileys' and Cheery's suggestions) and will almost certainly drop the price of your premium.

When I had 0 ncb, adding OH as a named driver cut the premium by more than half. She only drove the car very rarely, if at all. A few years later after building some ncb of my own it made little difference one way or the other, but being named drivers on each other's cars is pretty convenient so we've kept it up.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Oh my word, Squirrel, thats a big drop in the premium!  Thanks for posting - I'll check really soon with her, to give her time to make a decision.
  • peb
    peb Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And going back to buying, tbh if you spend so much time researching the car it will have sold.  Decide what's important to you, drive it  if it hits the criteria, decide.   The car I wanted wasn't readily available and was a hundred miles away.   The one before was an hour's drive away.   I hate dealers and find them patronising, in one case I drove an hour and a half but they wouldn't let me test drive without a big sale push first plus said their admin fee was £199 plus vat so I walked away.  Be prepared for that.  
  • Karmacat
    Options
    Thanks peb - yes, I wondered about that, shooting myself in the foot by over-researching.  A new set of cars has come up on Autotrader, so I've started to go through them - quite a few imports, and quite a few that, although they're of recent make, they have literally **double** the expected average mileage!  I'm thinking they must be hire cars or something, and avoiding them.  Back to doing that now - I've made a list on a draft email of what I have to do this week  :# it's quite a lot, especially as I'm off out for long periods of time for 3 events (sad to say, that's a big deal for me).  

Right now, I'm going to finish the new Autotrader listings, set up a test drive for Friday morning, and finally clean a bit of the shopping.  Top of the list after that will be working on my complexion 😎  I've already deviated from my list to faff about with some of the genealogy info I got over the weekend, so I can't afford much more than that, but I confess I'm quite tired.  Still, faffing on the phone with the Autotrader app is doable.

Hope everyone has a good day.
  • Karmacat
    Options
    My word, the weather's grim today - raining the *whole* time.  Starting to slacken off a bit now, but dear me ....

Anyway, once again, I didn't do the list above, and deviated yet again into the genealogy, though not as much.  Today, though, I've worked hard at my list on the Autotrader app, halved it from 25 to 12.  If there's an issue, it's no help that the car dealer is in central London (Wembley, Leytonstone) and my sister hates driving there anyway (I'm thinking of our drive to the test drive on Friday, but also if there was a problem in the future.  And for me!).  As well as that, panoramic roofs, security fails (amazing number of those!), massive mileage or an MOT in the next few months, all red flags to me, and I'm still left with 12.  10 now 😁 Hiding an admin charge in the middle of the specs, go away 🙄 

There's one dealer with three Yarises, an hour if we use the M25, which my sister's used to.  There's a lot of dealerships in that location :(  Another one with two, that's closer, though it takes slightly longer, annoyingly.  I need a break now!  Horrendous, especially when a decision that so much depends on is made like this, dodging between phone app, google maps and an excel spreadsheet.  Sister is babysitting today, I'll send her an email.

Lunch!  Woo!
  • Cheery_Daff
    Cheery_Daff Posts: 15,824 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    You're getting closer! 😊 This bit is the most annoying bit 😂 Once you've found one that's fine, you'll be pooling round all over the place on days out and everything will be super cheerful 😊
  • themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,965 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What’s wrong with a panoramic roof?
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• peb
    peb Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    And I'm not sure what you think is massive mileage but today's cars can go round the clock twice.  From what you say you aren't going to be doing much mileage anyway 
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.5K Life & Family
  • 248.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure