Travelling On

Comments

• Grogged
    Grogged Posts: 865 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Delurking to say try ccleaner or similar to securely delete files and then wipe your drive.  It's free to use and has paid option as well.
    If it's not adding up, compound it!
  • rtandon27
    rtandon27 Posts: 4,529 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Karmacat said:
    ...if I can find a loophole to cancel the cruise and get our money back, but I can't - online cooling off period doesn't apply to transportation or accommodation, according to Citizens Advice, and a cruise is kind of both...
    KC - we are having a similar pondering over our pre-booked & pre-paid trip to Italy.  Given OH's chronic asthma, we may just take the financial hit and decide not to go.  The only way travel insurance covers it is if the government puts out a travel advisory.  Going to give it a few more days and see what happens...  :'(
    4 YEARS 10 MONTHS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    ...and now I have a mortgage! (23 AUG 2021)
    17 YEARS 4 MONTHS LEFT OF 20 YEARS
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I wouldn't fret too much KC, Coronavirus is going global whether we like it or not!
    Hi Ed.  There is that, isn't there ... And though I don't believe it's "only" the same mortality as winter flu, it's obviously  not the Black Death or anything .... Another thing is my energy levels: although they're low, I don't get lurgies the way my sister does.  She got one after out Norway cruise; and all *during* our Baltic cruise, when we were sharing a room, she was really ill, poor lamb.  But I didn't get it.  I've been worried about being somebody with "underlying health issues", but in these terms, I'm probably not.

2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat
    rtandon27 said:
    Karmacat said:
    ...if I can find a loophole to cancel the cruise and get our money back, but I can't - online cooling off period doesn't apply to transportation or accommodation, according to Citizens Advice, and a cruise is kind of both...
    KC - we are having a similar pondering over our pre-booked & pre-paid trip to Italy.  Given OH's chronic asthma, we may just take the financial hit and decide not to go.  The only way travel insurance covers it is if the government puts out a travel advisory.  Going to give it a few more days and see what happens...  :'(
    Your poor OH!  Is it northern Italy you'd be going to, RT?  The only possible "out" for us is that we paid via cc less than a fortnight ago (I think it expires on this Friday), but it still may not be good enough, because there was  a clause I saw today about the cc £100 thing not including accommodation or transportation, and a cruise is kind of both!  Yes, I'm hoping the advisory changes, though I have my doubts. 
  • Karmacat
    Grogged said:
    Delurking to say try ccleaner or similar to securely delete files and then wipe your drive.  It's free to use and has paid option as well.
    Delichon said:
    Very interested in how you anonymise an old laptop.  I'm always worried that whatever is on there can be unearthed by some tech wizard somewhere (think Gary Glitter, not as a tech wizard but as someone who didn't obliterate his footprints ).  Not that i have anything to hide but I mean things like personal or  financial info etc.  Someone told me to just remove the hard drive and destroy it.  If I could fathom out how to do it I'd probably do that.  Any advice please?

Also, I was really interested to read about your toasting eggshells before using in the garden.  We've always  just crushed ours and thrown them on the soil but now I see that's not such a good idea.

Hello Delichon, Hello Grogged, welcome!  Thanks for delurking, and the focus on the anonymised laptop.  Apologies for my quoting you the wrong way round, the end of the page got in the way.
    All I've done for the anonymised thing is to delete everything I can lay my hands on, including whatever bits of the operating system will let me tamper with them.  I tried to find a "factory settings" button, but I couldn't.  CC cleaner sounds a great solution - I'm not sure it will connect to my current modem, but I could transfer CC cleaner via a cable and take it from there.  And no, I don't have anything to hide either (except names and addresses of people who came to me as clients when I was working as a therapist) (plus my own financial info) but no one wants even their ordinary private stuff misused by some hacker, or read by someone.
    I've carried on bits of tidying, fair bit of cleaning (its spreading upstairs   :D) genuinely starting to get my act together for the cruise ... heaven only knows if we'll go, but if we do, I want to be able to enjoy it.  Sigh ...

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,865 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Just wondering if either nephew works somewhere with a decent IT department? If you removed the hard drive they might be able to dispose of it securely for you (cheekily, granted). My dad has just taken three old drives into work to be destroyed - I think a ‘shredding’ company collects them periodically.
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

• themadvix
    themadvix Posts: 7,865 Forumite
    Mortgage-free Glee! Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Karmacat said:

This morning, I've been researching the use of face masks, sigh ... rather than articles even in respectable news websites, I'm going direct to government and research websites, and the situation isn't nearly as cut and dried as the advice on newspaper and broadcast websites.  Bookmarked everything, and I'll try to get something coherent going later today.
    I need my cup of coffee!  
    I think the proof that I need my cup of tea is in the fact that when I read face masks I thought of beauty treatments (and wondered what the government had to say on the matter!!), rather than protective wear!

Fair enough about the hard drives - it was just an idea. :)
    Mortgage free 16/06/2023! £132,500 cleared in 11 years, 3 months and 7 days

'Now is no time to think of what you do not have. Think of what you can do with what there is.' Ernest Hemingway

Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback