New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
5.3K replies 250.1K views

Replies

• KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got another £5 SB voucher, hurray, it's slowly building, though my Swag Button has died, so I can't complete the grid, very weird. I shan't lose sleep over it :)

While chaos reigns at home, I've been popping to Iceland for frozen veg etc, but with going away, I thought I might do a bit of extra shopping - Sainsbo order duly placed. £2 delivery, boo hiss, but a £9 voucher was on the website that needed using up before this Saturday, so I'm very happy about that :)
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • daisy_1571daisy_1571 Forumite
    486 posts
    Part of the Furniture Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee! Debt-free and Proud!
    ✭✭
    Oooooh - from one magpie to another - those lights look lovely kc

Daisy xx
    "Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion" Take hold of every moment by anon

The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today
  • edited 8 May 2019 at 5:23PM
    KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 May 2019 at 5:23PM
    :wave: Hi Daisy, glad you like them! I do like the shiny stuff, am absolutely a magpie for that :D but with long term stuff (as opposed to the plastic tiara I wore the other day after apple prompted me :rotfl:) I like it classy too, and I think those lights are absolutely it. Tick all the boxes :)

I've just joined the magazine lending facility of my local library! I was hoping they had Permaculture magazine, but they don't, so I've got Kitchen Garden instead, for nothing. Its not hugely easy to read, but I can get used to it :D

ETA - all cabinets attached to walls :):):) Plus, a woman called at the door to ask if she could have the sink, for a mud play area in the garden for her grandchild :) and I'm really happy it can be re-used instead of recycled :)
    Retired August 2016
  • apple_muncherapple_muncher Forumite
    11K posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, plastic tiaras are classy too, y'know!
    NST October#; NSD ; Ex ; bagfuls (61)

Mortgage £500? ish (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295; 01/18 23,143; 01/19: 18.275) MFWDate: very soonish
    34.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey, plastic tiaras are classy too, y'know!
    :kisses3::kisses3::kisses3: Well, that's true! How could I have misspoken like that!
    Retired August 2016
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • Suffolk_lassSuffolk_lass Forumite
    5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Those lights from Wickes - you may want to check if the LED bulb is replaceable (it reads like it is) - the JL one is not. We recently fell foul of a faulty LED light that was just out of guarantee and now not available to replace - fortunately DH managed to source a part and replace it but otherwise we were looking at having to change the lighting in our sitting room after just five years - like the JL stuff it was expensive and not something I had previously thought of as having a finite shelf life.

Save £12k in 2020 - #20 £5,010.84/£5k 100.22% after September
    OS Grocery Challenge 2020 target £2,230.32/£3k 74.34% so far at end of Sep
    Mortgage Free Wannabes 2020 #37 - exceeded our £15,000 target and paid the whole thing off
    MFIT T5 No 2 all gone after Q7
    My Debt Free Diary was Get a grip Woman
  • themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have some (rather old) copies of Permaculture lying around if you like me to send them to you Karma? I've got all I'm going to get from them. Let me know :)
    34.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those lights from Wickes - you may want to check if the LED bulb is replaceable (it reads like it is) - the JL one is not. We recently fell foul of a faulty LED light that was just out of guarantee and now not available to replace - fortunately DH managed to source a part and replace it but otherwise we were looking at having to change the lighting in our sitting room after just five years - like the JL stuff it was expensive and not something I had previously thought of as having a finite shelf life.
    It's really counter-productive, isn't it, you buy it because its extremely cheap to run, and then you have to replace the whole blooming light when the bulb goes :( I did try to check the bulb was replaceable, and I will when the package arrives, but I don't want to interrupt the delivery process mid flow (or hopefully mid flow, anyway, I haven't heard anything yet), after what happened with B&Q.

themadvix wrote: »
    I have some (rather old) copies of Permaculture lying around if you like me to send them to you Karma? I've got all I'm going to get from them. Let me know :)
    Thats very kind, madvix, thank you! I won't do that, to be honest - I'm actively turning away all forms of paper from the house right now :o though I still have *so* much. I was sent a linkie to this article https://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/frontline-climate-change which is why I was thinking of it.
    Retired August 2016
    34.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need a little bit of a to-do list for today:

- I've already made space to stash the Sainsbo order, which is arriving first thing this afternoon.
    - checked the birthday of my Norfolk rellie, I have time to send a birthday card.
    - told the builder I don't want a handle on the cover to the boiler. The door has to go on the opposite way from a central opening, and I don't like it. It's open on the underneath, cos its a boiler :) so I can hoick it open from there.
    - put rubbish out, bit complex and will take a while.
    - send money to Natwest to comply with account setup.
    - wash up :( this is the last day! My dishwasher will be working tomorrow, hurray!
    - set up my porridge to take with me caravanning. I put a lot of stuff in: oats, linseed, pumpkin seed, ashawagandha, cinnamon, turmeric, and after it cooks I put peanut butter and honey in. Tasty :) but I'm not taking all those pots of stuff with me for a 4 day trip :rotfl:
    Retired August 2016
  • themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hooray to the dishwasher tomorrow!! :j :j

Permaculture have a digital subscription, but imagine you were trying to get it for free? Is the magazine lending bit of the library you joined a digital one? I know ours do that. Although Permaculture is probably privately printed, so not included whatever. :(