New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
5.3K replies 250.1K views

Replies

• KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.8K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly that, madvix - a digital looksee for free. Though the magazine has a website, and there's a long list of articles, and they look freely accessible. Thats good enough :)
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    You can definitely see quite a few articles on their website - I follow them on Instagram, and often click through for a read. Love the idea of 'lazy' gardening, but some of the wackier articles in the magazines I had were interesting - not sure I could live without a fridge!! :eek:
    34.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yikes, I'm not keen on living without a fridge either! To be honest, though, I actually remember when my mum and dad bought the first fridge we had. We thought it was amazing! My nan and grandad already had a big American fridge, which was like it was from another planet, it just took my mum and dad a while to catch up. What they say about Scousers getting American innovations first, back in the 50s and 60s, was true (like the Beatles getting American soul and jazz records first) :)

Anyway, I've done almost all of my to-do list, plus bits of SB. Still got the washing up to do :( but I'm just going to do enough to get by till the builders leave after plumbing in my dishwasher. I'm a bit obsessed :D

Taking a break now :)
    Retired August 2016
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Karma, thought you might be interested in this, it's fairly new and entirely online: https://wickedleeks.riverford.co.uk/lifestyle/diversity/how-welcome-wildlife-your-garden? (opens on a particularly relevant page, but generally thought it might be of interest - not that I've had a proper look yet!)
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Living near the docks obviously had its advantages then :)

Definitely leave the washing up for the dishwasher as far as possible! Well done on the list - work is slooow here today (as you may have noticed!)
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    34.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you! Thats great :) I like Riverford more and more.

Also found this in the Permaculture articles archive https://www.permaculture.co.uk/articles/free-pdf-guide-permaculture-solutions
    It's about a permaculture initiative in Haiti, of all places, but there's a pdf it links to about how to implement the initiatives, and its wonderful. There's still stuff I didn't know, like planting properly on a hillside.

ETA - yes, I had noticed :rotfl::A:A:A what's the internet for, after all :rotfl:
    Signing off now - I'm getting *so* hungry! :A
    Retired August 2016
    4.1K posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing that Karma, it looks very interesting. Will have a proper read at the weekend (love how humanure is mentioned in the intro - perhaps not the best way to get people on board! :rotfl: )
    34.8K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morning! The guys were here yesterday from 8 to 5.30, amazing amount of work they do. I did have to mention one little thing that I see as a snag - there's a tiny gap between the wall cupboards and the ceiling, these are the cupboards right by the cooker, and particularly because of that, that gap will be a magnet for dirt and grease, so I've asked them to use decorator's caulk or whatever on it. They think I'm mad in relation to gaps and things anyway, so it's fine :o

Sorted a couple of events with my sister: food for the caravan (argh, forgot bedding), the Edvard Munch tickets later this month, and the Tutankamun exhibit in November. She's brilliant at planning, and I'm really not that great :cool:

I'm currently doing SB, and wondering a bit what else I should do. It strikes me I don't know when my hob/ oven combo will be connected, so thats the first thing, find out when the gas fitter's coming, and who can do the electrics for the oven. I think the 23 year old who's here again can do that, he's doing the sockets, so I'll check.
    Retired August 2016
  • rtandon27rtandon27 Forumite
    3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:
    You mention his age like it's a major character flaw!
    :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I caught myself telling a work friend that once she gets older and has some life perspective, she'd feel differently about her stressful situation!

I feel sooooooooooo old sometimes!
    3.5 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Working hard to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
  • shangaijimmyshangaijimmy Forumite
    3.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was always referred to as "Young Jimmy" is work. Must have been Iike that for 15yrs, but somewhere over the last couple, the word Young has been dropped. Now I'm just "Jimmy", and i wonder how many more years before i will be referred to as "Old Jimmy"!?!?
    MFW: Was: £136,000.......Now: £73,243.27......Reduction: £62,757.93... in 5yrs 6mths!
    Mortgage Neutral Target - Feb 2025...£65,665.23 remaining
    MFiT-T5 #8 - £10,313 of £23,100 (44.65%)