New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
5.7K replies 258.1K views

Replies

• rtandon27rtandon27 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy the city today KC! Bundle up warm, it's going to be a cold one!
    4 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Finally managing to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Forumite
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Karmacat wrote: »
    Okay, I'd like some magical ways to double the capital I have, thankyouverymuch :)

In other news, it's a day off today, I'm off up to London to see Ian Hislop's exhibition at the British Museum :) can't get a return ticket because the bus is needed to get there, so its a travelcard - £19 odd now. Never mind, free entry with my sister's gifted membership :)

Hope everyone has a good day :)

Hmm, well I'm the last person to be able to offer any financial advice so I'll pass on that:(. I'm sure others will have good advice though.

I envy your access to so many excellent museums and interesting exhibitions. Whatever it costs you today will be money well spent and I hope you have a wonderful time:beer:. Nourishment for the soul is priceless IMO.
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    74.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy your day :)
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 1 month to go ****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • Cheery_DaffCheery_Daff Forumite
    10.5K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you finally got your calculations done KC! :j thank you for sharing them. That French apartment has been a right old nuisance hasn't it?? :eek: Would you sell it when the next lease runs out? I imagine it would be a relief to have it out of your hair! :eek:

Enjoy your trip :j
  • rtandon27rtandon27 Forumite
    3.1K posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was really interested that rtandon posted on my diary recently about lessons learned from her larder challenge:T. Just shows it can result in different behavioural insights each time as I know she's an 'old hand' at it. I'm posting this here as I know rtandon is a regular contributor to your diary...

Aww CBC - that was so sweet of you to 'track me down' - I've been over to yours regularly reading (using my mobile) but it is a pitb to try and post on the forums from the phone!

KC - the post was nowt much to read - lol - just me wittering on about food as usual as keeping to a budget in that department is my biggest challenge - especially as food prices continue to creep up & I'm pre-destined to be a bit of a hoarder, coming from more wintery climes!
    4 YEARS DEBT FREE!!! (24 OCT 2016)
    (With heartfelt thanks to those who have gone before us & their indubitable generosity.)
    Finally managing to keep all the balls in the air and juggle the budget!
  • the_cross_rabbitthe_cross_rabbit Forumite
    749 posts
    500 Posts Second Anniversary
    ✭✭
    hope you had a good trip
    CRx
    3 items decluttered
  • GoldiegirlGoldiegirl Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enjoy your day out, it looks like an really interesting exhibition.

We haven't got much planned in the way of days out until the spring. Since we retired, we've been fortunate to have a holiday each year in February or March, so we haven't got into the habit of booking any outings at this time of the year. This year we haven't got a holiday booked until May

It will be really dull if we sit here until April without any days out at all, so I will have to have a look and see if there's anything we fancy doing.
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    35.3K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rtandon27 wrote: »
    Enjoy the city today KC! Bundle up warm, it's going to be a cold one!
    Hiya! Thats true, it was freezing - luckily, the no. 38 bus to the museum comes along every 2 minutes, so no standing outside shivering :)

Hmm, well I'm the last person to be able to offer any financial advice so I'll pass on that:(. I'm sure others will have good advice though.

I envy your access to so many excellent museums and interesting exhibitions. Whatever it costs you today will be money well spent and I hope you have a wonderful time:beer:. Nourishment for the soul is priceless IMO.
    beanielou wrote: »
    Enjoy your day :)
    Thanks both - I have to say, it was **fantastic** - I hadn't mentioned it before, I wasn't too sure about it, but it was just as witty and just as pointed as Ian himself on HIGNFY - there are little shots of him wandering about the nearby streets and homing in on the museum too, it was adorable :rotfl:

Don't worry about financial advice CBC - its all over the forum, after all!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
    Not counting this! 2020
    Garden fencing completed, woohoo 2021
    35.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad you finally got your calculations done KC! :j thank you for sharing them. That French apartment has been a right old nuisance hasn't it?? :eek: Would you sell it when the next lease runs out? I imagine it would be a relief to have it out of your hair! :eek:

Enjoy your trip :j
    Hopefully, I'll be able to sell it when the need for VAT repayment runs down to zero, in about 3 years time. The 2nd lease expires in about 6 years time, so I'll hopefully be out of it by that time. And I can't wait, absolutely!

rtandon27 wrote: »
    KC - the post was nowt much to read - lol - just me wittering on about food as usual as keeping to a budget in that department is my biggest challenge - especially as food prices continue to creep up & I'm pre-destined to be a bit of a hoarder, coming from more wintery climes!
    With you on the stocking up :D I like choices at home, and plenty of each - recent experience has confirmed that need, having been ill so much.

hope you had a good trip
    CRx
    I did thanks, CR - I even had enough energy left at my train station to not run for the train, but instead take the next one to have a little wander around the shops I haven't been to for years. Felt like I'd rejoined the human race.
    Retired August 2016
    Not counting this! 2020
    35.3K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    We haven't got much planned in the way of days out until the spring. Since we retired, we've been fortunate to have a holiday each year in February or March, so we haven't got into the habit of booking any outings at this time of the year. This year we haven't got a holiday booked until May

It will be really dull if we sit here until April without any days out at all, so I will have to have a look and see if there's anything we fancy doing.
    I definitely want to be able to go away every 6 weeks or so for a long weekend: my friend in Glastonbury, the other one in Margate, brother up north, the Sun caravan trips, genealogy research trips, all sorts of things. Days out during the week too, like today. Though London trips don't all need to be about exhibitions that charge - there are so many museums that are still free, plus the City Farms, street markets, all sorts of things.
    Retired August 2016
    Not counting this! 2020