Travelling On

Comments

• daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,190 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    :hello:Hi kc

It's quite a 'main' road with a park behind where we all walk dogs, everyone is friendly and chats but we are not running-in-and-out-each-others-houses close iykwim. I am not a person who 'enjoys' conflict, would much rather be polite and pass a friendly word hence my persisting in trying to remain friendly with her if I ran into her within hailing distance in the park or if she was in her front garden when I was going past. I assumed she would at some point remember she was an adult living on her own and it might be helpful to remain on friendly terms with close neighbours.

I feel it's this thin veneer of civilisation that helps us all rub along to gather :D

Having the parcel on her behalf was just a complete stress every day, I've never had someone not want to retrieve something they ordered.

The odd thing is that she speaks most of the time to some of the neighbours, none of the time to us. There does not seem to be much rhyme or reason to her behaviour but I hate walking past someone studiously ignoring them rather than just nodding and walking on. Ah well, it takes all sorts. :tongue:

Dxx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I get where you're coming from - and I agree, that thin veneer of civilisation is what gets us all by when we all live so close to one another. There's a bloke near me who sometimes says hello to me in the street and sometimes doesn't. There's a mental health issue there, poor soul, but even so, I can't drive myself demented. In the end, I got fed up watching him from the corner of my eye to see if he'd acknowledge me, so I started just sailing past him. He now acknowledges me all the time, because I was chatting to *another* neighbour when he came by, and this third neighbour chats to absolutely everyone. So it's sorted for now, but who knows ...
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Karmacat wrote: »
    Lovely!

I've never had anything *remotely* as bad as that happen, but I do now refuse to take anybody else's parcels. Daisy, whats it like in the street, does it feel strained? Maybe it doesn't, because its so obvious she is indeed being a nutter :D

CBC, isn't there a delivery place nearby? My Amazon purchases get delivered to the local convenience store, and MyHermes go to a garage ... I'm sure there's other collection points too. But I know you're a lot more rural than I am ...

ETA: CBC, just seen your second post. Understood :)

Our 'local' convenience store is almost 5 miles away and I'm not sure they do the parcel thing. Nearest place with even a small selection of shops and a garage is just over 7 miles away, both these alternatives vis twisty narrow B,C or worse roads. I order online for the sheer convenience and the fact that I have so much more choice than locally and I assume other people in my locality do too. I just hope I'll receive the goods;). Some couriers will just leave parcels in a safe-looking place for us if we're out and presumably for other people too but if a signature is required they either have to find someone nearby who is at home or take the parcel back to the depot. They'll only have to come out again the day after to try again, probably after a complaint about non-delivery to the company by the intended recipient:eek:, so I can understand why the couriers want to get rid of all their parcels that day.

I try to believe in the fairness and goodness of people and I hope that others would help me out by taking in my parcels if necessary just as I would for them, even though we may not even know each other. I suppose living so rurally you do tend to rely on one another more.
  • Karmacat
    Right, what's to do today?

- finish off the jewellery sorting. I had to clear it all off the bed last night, don't want to have it hanging around :o

- back up the computer after all that scanning (which has gone in the recycling, yay!).

- get out in the fresh air, which I really need, might head towards the bank so I can cash a cheque, but thats not essential.

- one *really* good use of time: a phone call I **received**, not one that I made. That was good.

- on that basis, a Second Breakfast is called for. Which I can manage, since the dishwasher's just finished cycling :)
  • Karmacat
    I try to believe in the fairness and goodness of people and I hope that others would help me out by taking in my parcels if necessary just as I would for them, even though we may not even know each other. I suppose living so rurally you do tend to rely on one another more.
    I try to believe in the same thing, CBC, as you probably know, but neighbours in particular have taken advantage of me in the past. And until very recently I was working with clients at home - you can't just stop a therapeutic session to answer the door, whether its a delivery or a neighbour wanting to collect a delivery. Clients would have had every right to make a complaint to my professional association if I'd done that.

Nobody round here depends on me - I've been so ill, I haven't really become a member of the community.
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,670 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    We live in a small-ish cul-de-sac (14 houses) and I'm at home most of the time (obviously so, because I park my car on the drive, not in the garage (relevant as my ndn park in their garage so get less courier requests than me) I take in parcels for all but 2 houses - actually make that 3 (new one added because the adult daughter of theirs had her 3 dogs running around all over my garden and was walking slowly up the road to collect them and didn't apologise and made some comment to her mother (lives 2 doors down) about she agreed how vile I was for not liking her dogs and she wished they'd cr***ed in my garden - turned into her shouting at me that I was mean to her dogs, was vile, had a big bum etc (I was mean because I told them to shoo (literally what I said - 'shoo')) Her mother made no effort to stop this woman being a total mad person in the street and I have no idea what I did to upset them - but I feel no need to take in any parcels now! The other 2 houses I refuse to take in parcels for now are because they don't collect them for days. The one house (runs a business from home so has a LOT of deliveries) had 3 different deliveries sat at my house (large, heavy boxes) for over a week - and they were booked as expr4ess deliveries, too, so I couldn't understand leaving them for so long! Anyway, one courier I refused (and told him that it was because they didn't collect) said 2 other people in the street had said the same thing.
    I don't understand - I always try and collect any (infrequent) parcel delivered elsewhere as soon as possible when I'm back - it just seems polite!

Sorry - bit of a rant there! :D

Hope you get the jewellery sorting finished, Kc :)
    xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
  • Goldiegirl
    Goldiegirl Posts: 8,805 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    With regard to parcels, I think I must be lucky. We're in a small road of 13 houses, and most of the neighbours are ok. My neighbours on either side are both retired and the woman over the road is also retired, so there's always someone on hand to take parcels in. I try to be home if a parcel is due, but don't worry too much if I'm out, as there's bound to be someone who'll take the delivery. I do the same in return.

However, my neighbours aren't perfect, on one side he likes to work on cars so he's often revving engines, and on the other side the man is very nosy!
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • Oh dear, I seem to have caused several of you lovely people to recall bad experiences that you had when helping others by taking in their parcels. I'm so sorry, the last thing I ever want to do is upset people by word or deed. I seem to have failed miserably, albeit unwittingly, on this occasion:o

KC, I know just from reading your posts and seeing the affection and esteem that visitors to your diary have for you that you are a truly 'good' person:A. I hope you didn't think I was suggesting otherwise:o. Oh dear, I'm not doing very well today, am I? I can certainly appreciate that it would have been impossible for you to pause your therapy sessions and leave a client to answer the doorbell etc.

Well, at least the Yodel man has been, taken back the wrongly delivered item from yesterday and handed over what I was expecting all along. This is now with the person who I ordered it on behalf of so we can both breathe a sigh of relief:j.

As for sorting the jewellery, it sounds an interesting task. Sadly, I can sort my paltry collection in seconds. No, make that nanoseconds:rotfl:
  • ZTD
    ZTD Posts: 24,327 Forumite
    daisy_1571 wrote: »
    I didn't think she would rather go without than have to appear at my door or answer her door to either of us. Nutter is a word you might have heard quite a lot in our house recently :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

Perhaps it's not nuttiness, but that she simply has a more creating version of reality than everyone else.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
  • Karmacat
    Loving the sharing of experiences, it's interesting to hear that some really disruptive neighbours have to be kept at arms' lenth. CBC, it's fine - we've been online mates for a long time now, and our different experiences (me self employed therapist/ ill, you rural) have led us to different places, of necessity. I'm glad the repeat delivery today has got sorted.

The jewellery - when earrings fall apart, they get recycled, but otherwise I've never thrown away a single piece of jewellery, even the daft stuff I got when I was 15 :rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: I've got a pair of rings that look like knuckledusters, but they say "peace" and "love" :) Then there's the stuff I bought in my 20s and 30s, plus the stuff I've just inherited from my mum.

Erm, it was so sunny here today, I did some gardening and went a walk. No jewellery sorting :o this is getting to be a habit :o:o:o But I've finally demolished a particular pile of carp, which took quite a while - its been there so long brambles have rooted (which I've dug up) and the grass has disappeared :o maybe I'll do some planting there as well? Mulch for now, I think, but everything's going in the right direction :j
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure