New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
5.4K replies 252.1K views

Replies

• KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love it, I love it all :j thank you lovely peeps.

I've had an inside day today, raining or heavy drizzling the *whole* time, I disapprove of that :D I think I'm going to open a Christmas box set - first season Game of Thrones :D I know Lena Headey's in the first few seasons (and Jason Momoa from Stargate Atlantis :beer:) so I'm happy.

Been doing lots of scanning - definitely feeling like I'm starting to get on top of things :)

Hope everyone's having a good evening.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • earthgirlearthgirl Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Goldiegirl wrote: »
    I like the idea of 'using to destruction'. I'm like that with many things. For example, I will not throw socks away until they actually have holes in them. My slippers have to fall apart before I get a new pair.

For things that still have life in them, but I no longer need them, there's always eBay, charity, rehoming etc

I’m like this too, I’ve patched my slippers up twice, but I’ll keep on doing it till they fall apart!!
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

Progress not Perfection
    34.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi earthgirl! I must have posted 5 seconds before you :)

Interesting - I don't really use them. I have some slipper bootees from Primark that I wear, but they don't breathe - so I have two pairs of cast-offs from my sister, a pair of mules for quickly slopping around, and a pair of flat suede boots, which I use as my alternate slipper bootees. Sounds weird, but it works for me. Primark things are new, the mules are about 10 years old, and the suede boots are about 20 years old (never worn except by me). So I'm doing pretty well :)
    Retired August 2016
  • pinkypigpinkypig Forumite
    1.7K posts
    Eighth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭
    Karmacat wrote: »
    I love it, I love it all :j thank you lovely peeps.

I've had an inside day today, raining or heavy drizzling the *whole* time, I disapprove of that :D I think I'm going to open a Christmas box set - first season Game of Thrones :D I know Lena Headey's in the first few seasons (and Jason Momoa from Stargate Atlantis :beer:) so I'm happy.

Been doing lots of scanning - definitely feeling like I'm starting to get on top of things :)

Hope everyone's having a good evening.
    Careful Karma, GOT is addictive - you may never leave the house again:rotfl:
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
    34.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell :) though I've seen the first episode before, I remember bits of it. DVD set is great though, I'm on it :)

Maybe hereabouts will end up looking like it - my rain has just turned to snow! I don't think it will stick, but I wasn't expecting that ... another indoor day it is, then :( I'll make it count towards the goal of "now I can get out and about" :)
    Retired August 2016
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
    34.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faffing about putting the French amounts from the bank statements into lists, while watching American Pickers. Or letting the SB videos run, or playing swaggie dinosaurs, or even just searching any old name that comes into my head - the searching made me 14 points, when I was waiting for other stuff to happen, so thats good :)

Off to scanning now ... all of this is so that when I'm ready and able to go out (and it isn't snowing) I **can** go out, not having to opt out of stuff because of a task at home. That's never going to happen again, and I'm pretty determined about stuff like that.
    Retired August 2016
  • GoldiegirlGoldiegirl Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I find that can be a problem too. I do stuff around the house, and by the time I've finished the weather isn't suitable for a walk. I need to get into the mindset of dropping whatever I'm doing when the weather is favourable and doing home stuff when I get back
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
  • michelle09michelle09 Forumite
    855 posts
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    Never seen GoT (though OH is obsessed) although I did end up hanging out with Jason Momoa one weekend many years ago. He's a wild one!

Using to destruction is a great phrase. I probably can't put off a new pair of trainers much longer but every week is a small victory. :D Glad you had a good weekend.
  • misscousinittmisscousinitt Forumite
    3.7K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    All looks to be going well KC (with the exception of the weather).

I do the 'to destruction' thing too, but DH does get strict with me when my slippers get dangerous (he bought me so new ones for Christmas).

MCI
    Mortgage Free x 1 03.11.2012 - House rented out Feb 2016
    Mortgage No 2: £82, 595.61 (31.08.2019)
    OP's to Date £8500

Renovation Fund:£511.39;
    Nectar Points Balance: approx £30 (31.08.2019)
  • edinburgheredinburgher Forumite
    11.9K posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm largely onboard with the 'to destruction' idea, but I'm trying to go past that now. Mrs E doesn't seem to be a big fan of my old T-shirt rags, but they're alright if all you're doing is wiping down the worktops :D