New Post Advanced Search
Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.

Travelling On

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Mortgage-Free Wannabe
5.4K replies 252K views
189111314538

Replies

  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly :) I've got to get going - but I had to read your diary :)

    Washing machine's just finished, I think I'm going to drape it around the house at the moment, there's a frost here, no use putting it out right now. Or maybe there is, after what RT posted!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think my income tax form is completed - earliest ever! Usually, when I get to this point, I'm in agonies over double entering the French figures, stuff like that. And, um, I'm still not quite sure everything is in the right place ... but I agree with what they say I owe (just Class 2 NICs). I'm shocked, but in a good way :) I'm still not going to submit it, I'll go over it again on Monday, but I'm a happy bunny right now.

    So after this, and after paying the Class 2s, it's going to be about reordering the French papers (different end-of-tax-year date) and submitting them to the French accountant, via email. Which is easy. I'm really shocked :rotfl:
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • beanieloubeanielou Forumite
    73.6K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    WEll thats all good.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~**
    **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **
    MFW. 9 months to go. B)
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
  • earthgirlearthgirl Forumite
    3.8K posts
    Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wow that used to be on your to do list for a long time, glad it’s been fine so quickly!

    Have a great weekend x
    15/5/12 Paid off Mortgage 1 (£220k) Bought Dream House:www: Dec 13 - Mortage 2 -£116,508. 15/7/18 Mortgage Free Again :j

    Progress not Perfection
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, I'm happy :) thank both!

    I kept on bagging up garden rubbish yesterday, and then scanning, it's made me feel like I'm starting to get on top of things

    :j:j:j

    Though my "topics to do" list is still 12 long :rotfl:but it *was* 15 :)

    I wanted to do a bonfire of branches today, but its very soggy out there as well as cold, so probably not on. We'll see. I've done a supermarket order for next Thursday (must investigate the 5% off voucher deals that edinburgher and greent use) but as the weather clears, I shall be out and about :beer:
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • Important update! We have recently reviewed and updated our Forum Rules and FAQs. Please take the time to familiarise yourself with the latest version.
  • EatingTheElephantEatingTheElephant Forumite
    1.4K posts
    ✭✭✭
    The Harry Potter trip sounds really interesting and I’ve learnt so much about hanging out washing!

    I love the phrase about using to destruction. That is what I have been doing over the past year or so, but not really put a name to it. It is so satisfying to use something until it is worn out. Makes you really feel as if you’ve got your moneys worth!
  • KarmacatKarmacat Forumite
    34.9K posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That whole hanging out washing riff was brilliant, wasn't it :)

    rant alert
    And using to destruction is my fave phrase from the KM thread on here, on Old Style ... it's crucial environmentally that we use up something we already have, something that's already manufactured, to get the most out of that energy input. It's a win financially, because it keeps our costs down - using something up to only 90% and calling it good enough wastes that remaining 10%, there's no doubt about it. And it's just **satisfying**, to know that you've got your money's worth, as you say!
    /end rant
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    New kitchen fully installed June 2019
  • themadvixthemadvix Forumite
    4.1K posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User]
    0 posts
    MoneySaving Newbie
    Karmacat wrote: »
    That whole hanging out washing riff was brilliant, wasn't it :)

    rant alert
    And using to destruction is my fave phrase from the KM thread on here, on Old Style ... it's crucial environmentally that we use up something we already have, something that's already manufactured, to get the most out of that energy input. It's a win financially, because it keeps our costs down - using something up to only 90% and calling it good enough wastes that remaining 10%, there's no doubt about it. And it's just **satisfying**, to know that you've got your money's worth, as you say!
    /end rant

    Not a rant at all, KC. Just good common sense as always from you:A

    I've been a devotee of using to destruction for many many years. It's not just because I believe in it totally but also because I'm too skint to buy new while ever there's a breath of life left in whatever I'm using/wearing;)
  • GoldiegirlGoldiegirl Forumite
    8.8K posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Rampant Recycler Hung up my suit!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the idea of 'using to destruction'. I'm like that with many things. For example, I will not throw socks away until they actually have holes in them. My slippers have to fall apart before I get a new pair.

    For things that still have life in them, but I no longer need them, there's always eBay, charity, rehoming etc
    Early retired - 18th December 2014
    If your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough
Sign In or Register to comment.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms | Covid-19 & Coronavirus Support