Options
    Also - I have no recollection whatsoever of committing 'Application Fraud'
  • Candyapple
    Candyapple Posts: 3,384 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer
    Options
    fxssils wrote: »
    Hi Guys

So I have had the SAR back which states Application fraud in 2012 from a PDL (who incidentally are not on CIFAS' website as being a member). I have emailed them and spoke to them, they state it can be up to 8 weeks to be resolved so it may look like the employment is out of the window.

Also - I have no recollection whatsoever of committing 'Application Fraud'

Application fraud can be anything from lying about your salary, employment, age, name etc.

Did you take out a loan in 2012 with this PDL? Did you default on the amount?

What month in 2012 was the marker? You might just be better waiting for it to drop off naturally as they last for 6 years rather than spending large amounts of money on a solicitor.

These are the categories:

CIFAS Categories Explained

0 - Protective Registration - Recorded at the request of the person named.
    1 - False Identity Fraud - Use of a false name with an address.
    2 - Victim of Impersonation - Use, by another person, of this name and/or address.
    3 - Application Fraud (Facility Granted) - Use of name reasonably believed to be genuine, but with one or more material falsehoods in personal details or other relevant information -; the facility was granted.
    4 - Application Fraud (Facility Refused) - Use of a name reasonably believed to be genuine, but with one or more material falsehoods in personal details or other relevant information -; the facility was refused.
    5 - Conversion - Conversion (disposal or sale) of goods (to which the hirer/buyer does not have title) under a hire purchase, conditional sale, contract hire, leasing or rental agreement.
    6 - First Party Fraud - Opening an account or other facility for a fraudulent purpose, or the fraudulent misuse of an account or facility.
    7 - Aiding & Abetting - Aiding, abetting or assisting, or conspiring with, another or others to fraudulently procure credit, or other facilities, or hire products or services.
    8 - Insurance Claims Fraud - The making of a claim(s) under one or more insurance policy (ies) with one or more material falsehoods or by presenting a false or forged document.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Credit Cards, Loans, Credit Files & Ratings boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com
  • fxssils
    fxssils Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi,

Thanks for getting back to me - I haven't been able to get any details to see what they think I had lied about. I did have a loan with them in 2012 after some financial issues - which I paid off.

They said the investigation can take up to 8 weeks, but that's 2 months. The company are not with CiFAS (I cannot find them on there).

The date of the marker was on November so I'll have to wait months before it's removed.
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This may sound like a hurtful thing to ask, but must be asked and it's extremely important that you answer it truthfully. Were you 100% true in your loan application with PDL? Any tiny omission matters, like bumping your salary a bit, changing your years of employment, or even different title or how long you lived at some address.

Be honest, you are anonymous here anyway, and it's essential before deciding how to move forward.
  • fxssils
    Options
    Hi Arleen,

It's not hurtful at all - I thank you for all the help you guys are providing.

As this was in 2012, I would lying if I knew if I had stated I was untruthful about any aspect - however, they have not shown me the bank statement I have provided. The details I have back from CIFAS are all correct - I even logged into the PDL companies website and the only thing there which I could see was a monthly payment (but it was correct). The details I have on that account were all correct as well.
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    So it's quite possible that the fraud marker is correct? Most people get away with it, as they lie on the application, but then also repay the loan - but in your case, as the others, it's when the account gets into trouble the factual inaccuracies come out and a cifas marker is awarded. So if it's possible that you have made yourself look better on the application to get the loan, it's best to just let it rest in peace till November.
  • fxssils
    Options
    Hi Arleen,

I will have to say that I've had several loans that have never come under dispute - the only reason I said the above was as it was nearly 6 years ago I cannot even remember applying for the loan. I already had a loan with them, which I paid off and can see no markers on their site or any credit referencing sites at all. It just seems strange that there is material falsehood in a bank statement with the information I provided that I can see on their site - all the information, to me, seems correct. I had even put my monthly salary on there (and time with the employer) which were both correct.
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well, you have two choices. Let the matter rest and plan around it till November, or hire a solicitor to challenge the marker for you. If it was placed incorrectly you will likely be due compensation, but this process will take months and make cost you substantial amount of money along the way. Especially due how long passed you are unlikely to resolve it on your own.
  • fxssils
    Options
    OK Arleen.
    Thank you so much for you help.

I think I'll mull it over and enquire into legal proceedings - as you say it seems quite a way off.
  • moatmeister
    moatmeister Posts: 322 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 January 2018 at 8:20AM
    Options
    Unfortunately all these agencies are very quick to knock you down but very slow to pick you up. Its disgusting really. Its all cloak and daggers, smoke and mirrors, and they slap these things on without thinking about the disruption it causes to peoples lives. They obviously want to stop the cases of genuine fraud quickly but there is no support or quick fix for people "caught up" in it. Just remember the banks are not your friends, they are there to look after themselves and make money out of you. Sorry i cant be more helpful but good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure