CIFAS and Me...

Options

Comments

• john1002
    john1002 Posts: 984 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good luck, keep us updated, the report back should give you some answers, just a waiting game. As your job offer accept or decline is probably coming before your SAR be prepared to say your disputing and can they give you time etc

John
  • fxssils
    fxssils Posts: 17 Forumite
    Options
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your help - here is an update. The offer of employment was revoked due to the CIFAS marker they've stated they can try and give me some time.

This is the second offer of employment that I've been refused for by background screening, so is rather depressing at the moment - rent and bills are mounting up.

In the meantime whilst I get the CIFAS SAR back, I don't see any point in trying to go for new positions - incase I get the same again. It's not like I can't get offered a job, I can't get passed the very last hurdle! Are there solicitors perhaps I can get involved? It really is impacting upon my life now.

Also, in regard to benefit (I'm having to look down that road now) - I do have a death in service payment (from my late father) which I have. Does this act as savings and therefore as the amount is over 16k, means I cannot receive any sort of benefit?

Thanks guys.
  • Arleen
    Arleen Posts: 1,164 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    There is no point in getting a solicitor before you get the SAR back, but once you have the details of what is the matter about and you can afford then hiring a trained solicitor can speed up the process dramatically.
  • fxssils
    Options
    In the meantime is there anything I can do?
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Start shopping around for solicitor? Depending on details of the case, this may run quite a bill, so shopping around for a solicitor who has experience in dealing with CIFAS + choice of price can save you a lot.
  • brianposter
    brianposter Posts: 1,304 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    fxssils wrote: »
    In the meantime is there anything I can do?
    Keep a careful record of how much this is costing you.
  • fxssils
    Options
    Thank you I'll start making enquiries. In terms of cost, obviously there is a struggle to pay rent and bills. But the real cost really has been time - I was in a recruitment process for a very secure job which was lost after the screening process (much like my current employment offer). It's not like I can get a job at the moment as I have no idea if I'll get passed the background stage!

I'll endure sitting at home awaiting the CIFAS SAR!
  • Arleen
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Unless you have ample supply of money, which doesn't sound like it, keep trying to get a job - any job. Simply be upfront about the cifas marker and your challenge behind it, as this will not be resolved in weeks, likely months, even with a solicitor on your side. And it won't be cheap either, but that depends on details of your case.
  • fxssils
    Options
    So, I've been waiting for the SAR 20 days now, I know that CIFAS state it can take up to 40 days - but in this day in age I would of thought it would have arrived by now.

Is there any way I can check the status of it at all? I'm sending another one by recorded delivery to ensure that it is delivered and signed for.
  • fxssils
    Options
    Hi Guys

So I have had the SAR back which states Application fraud in 2012 from a PDL (who incidentally are not on CIFAS' website as being a member). I have emailed them and spoke to them, they state it can be up to 8 weeks to be resolved so it may look like the employment is out of the window.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.8K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure