Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Options

Comments

• sashybo
    sashybo Posts: 4,506 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    Hi everyone, :hello:

I'm back to exercising & watching what I'm eating after slacking off whilst on annual leave. I know I feel better when I exercise but my brain doesn't want to remember this so tells me to lie on the couch instead. :rotfl: Need to get out of that mindset. :o

Hi Toni'sfriend welcome to fabbing. :j I'm sure you'll get lots of help & advice.

Eyebrows - a lot of ladies I know recommend threading rather than waxing but I haven't tried it myself as I just pluck. Too impatient to wait I think.

I like having facials as I definitely think it improves my skin & I find it relaxing but don't have them very often, maybe every 3-6 months. I would do it more often if I had the money!
    Success is not final, failure is not fatal: it is the courage to continue that counts. Car loan 1 £14,060, Car loan 2 £10,843 . Debt Free Diary to try & keep spending in check.
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello Toni's Friend and welcome to the gang.

Well.......as you may know from reading the first page of the thread.....it all starts with wearing perfume.....every day.

If you smell gorgeous you start to feel gorgeous.

Then it's the mirror test. Sounds like you might have done that. But how objective were you.......you need to be honest, but don't be too harsh.

I think there are two ways of approaching this

The first is grooming. That is how I started. I made sure that I was aways immaculate, even though at the time I had no money to buy new clothes. I made sure that the ones I had were always freshly laundered, pressed and repaired as necessary.....so no stains, no bobbles etc.

So first of all make sure that you are always well groomed. So, hair washed and styled, daily facial cleansing, take care of your teeth, clean, well pressed clothes, neat clean nails, polished shoes. Really getting back to basics. Then take it from there. Once you've got that off pat, then you can start thinking about make up, nail polish etc.

Then try and find your own personal style. Easier said than done isn't it.

I think A good way to do that is look at famous beauties, alive or dead, who you might share some similarities with. Then look how they dress and style themselves and think about you can adapt their look for you. I'm not saying copying them outright but more a case of think about how they make themselves look so good.

I mentioned yesterday how glamourous movie stars are experts (or maybe their assistants are) at minimising their flaws and accentuating their good points.

So this is where the mirror test comes in. Take a good hard look and try to objective. What do you like and dislike about yourself. And please don't say you dislike everything. We all have something or some good feature we can work on.

Did you stop wearing dresses because you dont like your legs or is it that you don't like feeling "trussed up" in tights and therefore find trousers cooler and easier. Do trousers suit your current lifestyle better than dresses.

Personally I think trousers can look very stylish and also very feminine, it all depends on the cut, the fabric, the accessories. There's a world of difference between baggy jogging bottoms, a tatty old sweatshirt and scruffy trainers and a nice pair of well fitting jeans or trousers worn with a smart tailored jacket, a simple top and nice shoes.:rotfl:

Think about your body shape, your colouring. Think about how you can dress "slimmer" whilst you are losing weight. Hint......it doesn't necessarily mean having to live in black. I am 2 to 3 stones overweight but no one thinks I am because I have Learned how cheat and "dress slim".

I am 67, 5ft 7 and weigh 13stones. I have an hour glass shape, admittedly quite a voluptuous hourglass. As Mrs Slocombe in Are You Being Served would say "Junoesque". :rotfl: I still have a waist, a generous bosom and long legs. I have learned what works for me. And simply by wearing the right clothes I can look a good stone or so lighter than I am.

Also.....and I can hear Maman groaning. :rotfl: think about posture. Good posture can make you look half a stone lighter.

Think about Colour, the right colour for you, next to your face can make a huge difference, even if it's just a scarf.

So my advice is do the mirror test. Google body shape for diagrams, maybe ask a friend to help you if are you not sure. Also taking your body measurements might help you determine your shape.

Then, if you want, tell us a bit more, your height, your shape, your colouring and the ladies on here will have loads of fabulous ideas to help you build up a good basic wardrobe.

Good luck and come back soon.
  • Toni'sfriend
    Toni'sfriend Posts: 4,036 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Oh, thank you so much. Lots to think about and I'm going to read what you've written again and again. I've never been confident about how I look although my partner says he just cannot understand why I feel like that. I wasn't really encouraged to think I was even pretty as a little girl and that surely does nothing for your confidence. Apart from a mirror in my handbag I don't even have a mirror in the house. Hate looking at myself so that's the first big challenge. Yes?
    I lost my sense of smell some years ago (medical condition) but I have a memory of perfume - if that makes sense. I do have some lovely perfume and when I do remember to wear it my partner will say how lovely it is. Starting tomorrow perfume every day. I'll just have to imagine it.
    And you're right about the grooming. I have so let all of this go. Must do better.
    I'm very tubby around the bottom half. Tummy particularly but my legs are really good (so I'm told). I really don't know why I started wearing trousers but I am finding it difficult now to get out of the habit. And yes. Why do I wear black all the time when I love red and bright blue and yellow.
    Basically, I think you've made me realise that I don't have much confidence. Has to change. Be more assertive. Yes?
    Have adventures. laugh a lot and always be kind.
  • Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,293 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 20 July 2018 at 6:06PM
    Options
    Toni'sFriend up your water intake as that will help all your dry bits as well as your general body health.

Also pick up a bottle of supermarket body lotion such as an aloe vera or cocoa butter one to slather on when you have bathed/ showered. I am using Morries aloe vera alternated with Palmers cocoa butter self tanning body lotion.

I also rub in a dollop of Body Shop almond overnight hand butter on when I put my light out at night, its thick & intensive & works while I have my beauty sleep.

Brows are waxed & now tinted every 6 weeks, laahes are tinted then too. Nails are shellacked every 2 weeks during the summer but only at Christmas from October to Easter :D

Hope that helps xx
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    LL, I thought I should pop up and groan on cue!:D I'm also sitting up straight, tummy in, very mindful of posture!

That's a really lovely thing to say about your family toni's friend. Nothing like a bit of counting our blessings.:)

I'll just add a bit to what sashy and LL have said but you'll pick it up as you go I'm sure.

When I joined the thread I felt so washed out and fat I felt like an invisible old bag lady. I've gradually built up routines and while there's always room for improvement I feel very happy with myself.:D

Definitely losing weight was the best thing ever. I did it with Slimming World but whatever works for you.

I have various treatments. Number one is my hair which is regularly styled and highlighted. You've made an appointment so box ticked there!:) I have my eyebrows waxed but only every couple of months then I keep them tidy in between with tweezers. I have my nails done in one of those cheap Vietnamese nail bars. Generally I do my own manicure and they just do the shellac. I also have a pedicure/podiatry appointment regularly. It all sounds very extravagant but spread out isn't too bad and if you fancy a massage or a facial there's always Groupon.

I'd start using up the lotions and potions that you have got in already. That's very mse:money: and even if it doesn't bring about a magic transformation you'll feel better for taking some time to care for yourself.

From what you've said you do get a chance to dress up a bit for meals out and holidays. At the moment I'm just washing and wearing the same 4 loose dresses as I can't bear the thought of trousers while it's so hot but in the winter I tend to wear skinny jeans dressed up or down to go out most of the time. I heard about something on the radio today called #stylerepeat. Basically it's the principle of wearing the same or very similar clothes every day like a sort of school uniform. I wouldn't go that far but I think you can have a few mix and match basics which are easy to wear and make you feel good. In any event, as you're going to lose 3 stone I wouldn't spend too much on clothes until you get to the weight you want to be;).

Love to all. Back soon.:)
  • lessonlearned
    edited 20 July 2018 at 8:10PM
    Options
    Tonisfriend

If you are feeling a bit lost, and haven't the time or energy to read the whole thread, then can I direct you to posts 440, 441, and 442. They are a bit long but I wrote them both for some newbies and as a refresher for all of us.

You might find them helpful.

Im so tired now.....the acupuncture always has this effect. Got a bit of a weird ear thing going on too. Every time I have a session it unlocks another area of my body that needs sorting out. Tonight my neck glands and throat feel sore and I've got earache, and am sneezing. Im going to have a cuppa, watch a film and then pop off to bed for an early night.

We had a few spots of rain earlier, not enough for the gardens but it has cooled down a bit,
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

My relationship with Wayne is over. There is no going back for me. We parted ways yesterday and I am resolute about never allowing Wayne to persuade me to try again. When it came down to it we are just too different. Suffice to say that I discovered he has a completely different moral compass to me. :p

It has been too much drama and that is not what I was looking for in a relationship. I will miss him and our incredibly passionate sex life, but I am invigorated at the future rolling out before me as a single woman. :D

I am starting my beginners Salsa dance classes on Wednesday. :j:D

I have received all of the money back from the 4 fraudulent purchases done through my son's PayPal account. :j:D:T
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies....

Well I had a terrible night. I'm exhausted, sore and stiff. Supposed to be going out later too......I'll start with a bath in a minute and then see how I feel.

SUgarbaby.......I'm glad you have finally reached a decision about Wayne. He's been "yanking your chain" ...(as my kids would say)....... for far too long. You have been extraordinarily patient but it's time to walk away.

Great sex by itself just isn't enough.....you need and deserve respect and consideration. We all do.

Build yourself an awesome life and the right man will come along, .if he doesn't then have an awesome life anyway.

The salsa dancing sounds fab.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I just love your optimism sugarbaby. You never waste time feeling sorry for yourself, just move on and get organised. That's amazing!:T

I'll be looking forward to hearing how you get on with the salsa classes. I love my dancing. My usual group is closed for the summer break but there's another class through August that I'm looking forward to.

I've not got anything exciting on today. I think I might just settle down with a book later.:)
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies....

Well I had a terrible night. I'm exhausted, sore and stiff. Supposed to be going out later too......I'll start with a bath in a minute and then see how I feel.

SUgarbaby.......I'm glad you have finally reached a decision about Wayne. He's been "yanking your chain" ...(as my kids would say)....... for far too long. You have been extraordinarily patient but it's time to walk away.

Great sex by itself just isn't enough.....you need and deserve respect and consideration. We all do.

Build yourself an awesome life and the right man will come along, .if he doesn't then have an awesome life anyway.

The salsa dancing sounds fab.

And these things last for ever. Great sex doesn't.
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure