Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Options

Comments

• Floss
    Floss Posts: 8,247 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    MITSTM TBH H&M had actually been selling size 10 clothes labelled as size 12. That isn't vanity sizing, which is selling size 12 clothes labelled as a size 10.
    2021 Decluttering Awards: ⭐⭐🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇🥇 2022 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
    2023 Decluttering Awards: 🥇 🏅🏅🥇
    2024 Decluttering Awards: 🥇
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning.....

Well ladies I have never felt so unfab in a long time.....I will spare you the details but let's just say I have cancelled all appts for the next few days so I can stay near the bathroom.....The thought of having blood tests today and dentists tomorrow is too much to bear so I have chickened out.

I spent the day yesterday helping DS1 and DIL prepare for the arrival of her parents, getting the house ready and helping DS1 assembling beds and wardrobes etc - no job for a 36 weeks pregnant woman. I think I've just overdone it so I will take a couple of days to just rest and recuperate,

It taught me one thing I am definitely going to have to buy in help and really pace myself when I move. No more bull at a gate.......

So just a quiet day today......
  • seven-day-weekend
    seven-day-weekend Posts: 36,755 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Sorry you are feeling so unwell, LL. Hope you feel better soon. xxxx

Well, my husband yesterday metaphorically banged the table at the contents insurance people....and yesterday they paid up, slightly more than we expected :). It does work!!

So that's it, we can now replace any stuff we lost and that will be the end of the upsetting experience.

Upwards and onwards!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • sugarbaby125
    sugarbaby125 Posts: 3,335 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

SDW it is good that the insurance has now been sorted for the items that were ruined in the flash flood that engulfed your car. Now you and your husband can move on. :)

LL get well soon. You need to pace yourself when taking on manual household tasks ;)

I went to see the Red Stripe Band at The Crypt in St-Martins-In-The-Field yesterday evening and had a really enjoyable evening. :D I spent the whole evening dancing on my chair, apart from the final song, where I risked getting to my feet and dancing. Even though 95% of the audience were mature pensioners did not stop me having the time of my life. It was another MSE evening for me as I had a free ticket for this event. :D:T
  • lessonlearned
    lessonlearned Posts: 13,337 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hello lovely ladies

Well after a day of doing absolutely nothing, except taking a few hydrangea cuttings and resting in my deckchair in the sunshine I am pleased to say I feel a lot better today. Which is just as well because I am booked to go with my gang to a posh afternoon tea in a very swish hotel this afternoon. It's drizzling here so I hope it picks up because On a nice day you can have tea on the terrace and stroll around the gardens.

SDW. glad to hear your home insurance claim has been settled to your satisfaction.

SUgarbaby......I love hearing about Your outings. Lots of nice interesting things and All very MSE. Whilst I was confined to my deckchair :rotfl: I started looking into things I could be doing once I have moved house. I looked up U3A and there seems to be lots of interesting things I can try. I have also signed up for a newsletter from a local meet up group so maybe I will find something with that too.

I have also booked myself a massage and the chiropodist for next week. Just need to try and get a hair appt sorted.

Onwards and upwards.
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,589 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Glad you've got the insurance all sorted 7DW.
    To date arrangements to sort my car have gone well. Insurance company efficiently put us through to local repair people. They've booked us in for next month when we get back but asked to see car today so that they can have any necessary materials ready and a courtesy car for me too. Hope it all goes smoothly from now on in.

Good that you're feeling better today LL. Enjoy your afternoon tea.:)

money, I've never heard of that yoga. I wonder if it really works? I'm reasonably happy with my hair but my fringe can get a bit thin looking at times.

Something certainly needs doing about dress sizing. I believe the sizing was done after the war when women were very slim from rationing and heavy work so it probably is time for an update. I think one of the reason some brands are very small is to do with skimping on fabric to maintain or improve profit margins. It's not just women's clothes as DH complained bitterly about his shirts where the sleeves and body were getting uncomfortably short. He now buys them online and pays more or less the same as M&S for far better quality.

My feet feel fabulous after chiropodist appointment yesterday although she didn't have too much to do as I've been so much better at creaming my feet lately.:) I've decided to paint my own toe nails as I'll probably need to re-do them on holiday. I've never had shellac on my toes as they don't seem to get chipped so no point really. I'll have my fingers done on Monday.

Eyebrow waxing and tinting is tomorrow. It's all fabbing going on here!:D
  • chanie
    chanie Posts: 3,317 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I picked up my new (to me) car yesterday, as the old one died on me. Although Im not really into cars, it has been exciting to finally get a new car.

Today was a lovely day. I had my laser appointment, so I got to take the car for a spin. I stopped for lunch on the way home at a Lithuanian cafe, as I thought it would be fun to try something a bit different. I had cold beetroot soup, which was served with a side of roast potatoes. It was surprisingly nice and good value at £3. I will be back in the area in a few weeks time, so may try something else.
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    Options
    I've heard the thing re during the war as an explanation for the "real" clothes sizes we used to have.

But I was shopping for clothes in the 1960s and 1970s (when I was in my 20s - so an adult) and the only place one could buy clothes in real size 16 upwards was what is now called "Evans".

Add that most people were normal size then - and I know I've checked out YouTube clips from then to check my memory isn't deceiving me. It seems to be the 1980s the "British got bigger" and size labels changed.
  • maman
    Options
    I've heard the thing re during the war as an explanation for the "real" clothes sizes we used to have.

But I was shopping for clothes in the 1960s and 1970s (when I was in my 20s - so an adult) and the only place one could buy clothes in real size 16 upwards was what is now called "Evans".

Add that most people were normal size then - and I know I've checked out YouTube clips from then to check my memory isn't deceiving me. It seems to be the 1980s the "British got bigger" and size labels changed.

You're absolutely right msm. It's a complex issue. I could get all political on this :o but I do think society has changed in terms of expectation. While aspiration isn't a bad thing in itself, there is an expectation of instant gratification and entitlement amongst large sectors of society. Also, the effects of austerity and the widening gap between rich and poor has left many wanting to cheer themselves up. This has all sorts of ramifications for personal debt and many other issues but on the obesity front I think it's because people now eat foods that used to be treats on a daily basis whether that's chocolate bars or fizzy pop or take aways or ready meals. It all adds up. Literally!:D

Holiday fabbing still moving forward. Eyebrows yesterday. I've had them waxed and tinted again which will be really useful when I'm swimming. Tomorrow is hair (cut and blow dry) and shellac nails then I should be all fabbed up ready for Tuesday.

I hope it doesn't come across that I'm doing all this for my holiday alone. I just think it's always a good idea to have a goal. Many of my SW friends have set their weightloss targets for a wedding or a big birthday or a holiday etc. It's just good motivation to have something to aim for. Fabbing will continue when I'm back too.;)

It's dull but warm here. We're off to a party this afternoon. Undecided what to wear. It's probably too warm for jeans but although it'll be in friend's garden I don't want to be overdressed. I think I'll go for a simple frock.

Hope you're all having a good weekend.:)
  • maman
    Options
    Just doing a few odd bits and pieces before we fly out tomorrow for 3 weeks. Just thought I'd share some of the lovely photos of our resort.
    https://kalkanturkey.com/kalkan-photo-galleries/

Almost all fabbing tasks are done. I've had my hair trimmed and blow dried. I've had a manicure with deep burgundy shellac. I bought myself a matching nail polish so I'll do my toes later.

Take care all. :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport