Frump to Fab 2018 - Fabulous Dahhhhlings

Options

Comments

• humptydumptybits
    Options
    I have lost over three stone and have only gone down one dress size. Having said that, it has mostly all gone from my bum and tummy, so the baggy clothes I wore then that were tight are now loose and look much better. I was a size 20/22 on the bottom and 18 on the top (although I often had to get bigger sizes in tops to go over my tummy). I am now 18 on the bottom and 16 on top and I wore a nice fitted size 16 top the other day which I thought looked too small over the tummy but my husband said looked great :). So maybe I have lost two dress sizes from the bottom and one from the top .

I think sometimes when you have a lot of weight to lose it can be a matter of body image, you still tend to chose loose clothes because you think that's all you can wear.

I have put two pounds on after three days of too much chocolate, ice cream and alcohol. Because of this I have given a huge box of Thorntons, a large tin of Quality Street and a box of biscuits to the food bank, out of temptation's way. Another tin of nice Scottish shortbread I am giving to my Scottish friend on New Year's Eve for her birthday. They were all Christmas presents, but they make my husband ill with both IBS and reflux, and make me fat, so I am not having them in the house.

Back on the wagon now, I have stopped gaining and now need to get that weight off again as I still have over a stone to lose to get to the target weight I set myself last January.

So my Fabbing New Year Resolution is to lose the weight to get to that target and then consider whether to set a lower one and to re-organise my wardrobe, buying nice clothes that I like, rather than clothes that fit but I might not like :)

I don't know anything about diets but I have heard that it can be good to break the diet occasionally as it gives your metabolism a bit of a boost or something. Anyway I don't think it can hurt to have a bit of a treat at Christmas, you've got another 51 weeks of the year to be "good" and I'm sure you will be happy to go back to the diet, you can have a bit too much of a good thing. I'll be relieved when I don't have to do so much cooking and prepping, I'll miss the family but not catering for them.
  • seven-day-weekend
    Options
    I don't know anything about diets but I have heard that it can be good to break the diet occasionally as it gives your metabolism a bit of a boost or something. Anyway I don't think it can hurt to have a bit of a treat at Christmas, you've got another 51 weeks of the year to be "good" and I'm sure you will be happy to go back to the diet, you can have a bit too much of a good thing. I'll be relieved when I don't have to do so much cooking and prepping, I'll miss the family but not catering for them.

Yes I wanted to have a few treats over Christmas so was prepared for a weight gain. And yes, sometimes it does kick-start the metabolism and when you go back to eating sensibly your weight loss can improve.

If I can lose another stone I will be happy, two stone delighted, but I am keeping an eye on my face as too much weight loss at my age can make one look drawn and old. Don't want that, my young-looking face is one of my best assets!
    (AKA HRH_MUngo)
    Member #10 of £2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
  • 3forholidays
    Options
    Was reading an article on the BBC News website and thought that it might be worth sharing - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46618192
    A good life is when you assume nothing, do more, need less, smile often, dream big, laugh a lot, and realise how blessed you are.

SPC No 043
    SPC 10 - £520 : SPC 11 - £975 : SPC 12 - £845 : SPC 13 - £700
  • lessonlearned
    Options
    Was reading an article on the BBC News website and thought that it might be worth sharing - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-46618192

Excellent link. And so true. The mind and the body are one (ooh I sound like Yoda). "One, the mind and body are" :rotfl::rotfl:

But I think it's true I think you have to get your head in the right place before you can do anything. So focus on your mental and emotional well being and health first and I think the rest will follow. Change always starts with a change in thinking.

Well I had an amazing 9 hours sleep......must have been tired. I feel great this morning. Going to go food shopping soon, mainly fruit and veg.

Tbh though I have been quite mindful about my eating over Christmas. Apart from a portion of a very delicious desert my DIL brought for Christmas Day and my one spoonful of Christmas pudding (all my tummy can manage) I haven't overindulged at all.

I guess IBS has its positives......stops me from overindulging and gaining weight. :rotfl: every cloud has a silver lining.

My family also know I am trying to manage my blood sugar levels without medication so they very thoughtfully refrained from buying me chocolates, biscuits or foodie treats. Instead they bought me nice toiletries, candles etc. I do find it's often just easier to resist temptation by not to having chocolates, sweeties etc in the house.

I'm not sure about champagne but I know supermarkets do wine in small sizes. I used to buy my father in law a case of wine in small bottles for Christmas from Costco.

I'm sure I've seen Prosecco in small sizes but can't remember where. The problem is whilst full bottles of wine can be opened and then the remainder kept in the fridge for later use, you can't really do that with the bubbly wines. They go fiat and taste awful. I did buy a special bottle topper which was supposed to stop champagne type wine going flat but it wasn't very successful.

I actually like Cava just as much as actual champagne and it's a lot cheaper. You can get a decent bottle of Cava for around £5 or £6 so I don't feel too bad at having to throw some away. Rarely happens though;)

I've made a start on decluttering. One black bin liner ready to go.

Right time to get cracking.

Ladies start thinking about your word for next year. I have mine.

All will be revealed.....
  • moneyistooshorttomention
    moneyistooshorttomention Posts: 17,940 Forumite
    edited 28 December 2018 at 12:40PM
    Options
    I've got a couple of those wine bottle stopper things - which I use to some extent.

One trick that could be tried for champagne or, presumably, the "look-alikes" as well that I gather keeps the bubbles is to put a metal teaspoon (handle downwards) into the bottle opening. Well - I've certainly found it works for a couple of days at any rate. Beyond then - I wouldn't know - as it never lasts that long...

Re a "word for 2019" - I'll take "confidence" as mine. There have been a variety of things that happened in recent years (for quite some years) that had a go at my hard-won confidence. But - don't let the B&ggers get you down I think - particularly as a fair bit of that was quite deliberately trying to hurt my confidence. I realised that one one time when an employer talked about "your self-belief" in a "Grrr - and I wish you hadn't got that" tone of voice at me.

A fair bit has come back - this is where I reclaim the rest of it....
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,605 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options

I've heard that too and thank you for reminding me!:D

As you know, I follow the SW plan and treats are built in but as they are limited they have to be prioritised. I know I'm currently having far more than I should but I'm determined just to have things I enjoy rather than just eating for the sake of it. I bought in my favourite chocolates specially (chocolate marzipan and cherry liqueurs) and some favourite cheeses (Epoisses and Stilton) and I've had some Christmas pudding and dark chocolate ginger biscuits. Other than a bit more bread than usual (for turkey sandwiches) I've eaten really healthily especially plenty of veg and some grapes and satsumas.

That's the food but there's also the wine. We had proper champagne on Christmas Day but through the year I'm happy with Prosecco or Cremant. Cremant is made by the champagne method but not in the champagne region so can't be called that. It's £7.50 a bottle in Aldi and I love the stuff. :D I do have a special stopper which is fine for a few hours but doesn't really work overnight.

Treats will continue until next Tuesday then I'll get back to normal. :)

Today is the first day DH and I are on our own. Much though I've enjoyed having the family, today is lovely and relaxed with no pressure to do anything unless we feel like it. It's a glorious day here so I should really get out for a walk. I might....later.

I love this time of the year for reflection and thinking ahead. At the moment I'm thinking ahead for a month of healthy eating and planning for our holiday in India as a priority. Also I want to put plans in place for a bathroom every bit as lovely as LL's.:D Beyond that I agree that mental 'fabbing' is a priority. I don't know if it's the Protestant work ethic in me or what but while I could think up a plan of fun things to do for the coming year I know I won't be satisfied without achieving something. Fortunately I don't need paid work but I have to do something with my brain. I think reading may be the answer but not sure I'm ready for a reading group. Possibly some sort of volunteering so I feel I'm doing something useful. I'd welcome discussion on what others do.:)

The second WM load of bedding is on so I'm not totally idle. Have a lovely day all, whatever you're up to.:A
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 28 December 2018 at 3:09PM
    Options
    I lost over 20 lbs and only dropped a dress size, I'm 5'4". I suppose it can depend on where you lose it, I seemed to lose loads off my legs which look like pins, hardly anything off my bust.

For the first time in my life, I'm a smaller bottom than top. 10 trousers and 12 top, which is why I've been able to get away with my American suit for the posh lunch
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Options

Intermittent Fasting works because the body doesn't go into starvation mode. As important, it gives a strategy for maintaining once the weight has been lost.

My appetite reduced quite quickly and I found it very easy to fast yesterday after two days of indulgence. I just had scrambled eggs on toast. About 400 cals.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • lantanna
    lantanna Posts: 4,397 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Looking forward to the 2019 version of this thread, so I can join and commit. Turning 4o next year so no better time for it!
  • candygirl
    candygirl Posts: 29,455 Forumite
    Options
    Talking about prosecco, someone bought the Furnutters a bottle of Pawsecco for Xmas!!!They weren't impressed :rotfl:
    "You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf"

(Kabat-Zinn 2004):D:D:D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family