Options
123457»

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    bugslet wrote: »
    I think it was the original post that inferred working for yourself meant working to your own schedule. You might not have to get up at 5. 30, but likewise you can't decide that you don't fancy turning up for a class when there's a dozen people expecting you. We self-employed people still have bosses:p

In my world, a customer says they want a pallet in Aberdeen at 08.00, then you get your bottom out of bed at 03.00, because if you don't, you don't get a second chance.

Have you not got to the stage where you get your but out of bed at 2:30 call one of your drivers then go back to bed at 3:30 once they have picked up the load.
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    Have you not got to the stage where you get your but out of bed at 2:30 call one of your drivers then go back to bed at 3:30 once they have picked up the load.

I've got to the stage where one of my managers gets a call at 2.30.....;)

The first ten years were crazy hours. I do occasionally do a bit of driving, get up early. About 18 months I did a few all nighters loading an aircraft. Sometimes it's good to be seen even if I am mostly waving my arms around ineffectually!
  • bugslet
    Options
    ohreally wrote: »
    And then you die.

Step away from the razor blades, oh really......you have a schnauzer to look after.
  • nmr1991
    nmr1991 Posts: 45 Forumite
    Options
    My next 30 yrs.... probs on the street or bed hopping with strangers or hostels unless some option arises like a member of family getting a spare room but with the same predicament i find myself in now, no job, cut in benefits, unable to pay for food and rent therefore having to rely on whoever I live with, having no certainty of how long it's gonna last.
  • bugslet
    Options
    Why can't you get a job? Are you in the middle of nowhere? Do you have a disability?
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    googler wrote: »
    Please elaborate on this. On the assumption you're doing a 9 to 5, if you're close to home, you get home ... 6? 6.30?

I leave home around 7:45am and get back around 4:30pm. When put like that I sound pretty lazy as I'm home pretty early! Evenings are spent helping with homework, cleaning, cooking then a bit of TV and then bed.

I suppose I miss days off in the week. I'd rather work longer days (can't though because of childcare) and have a whole day or 2 off in the week.

I've just had a few days off and come 6am feel I could get up if I wanted. When I'm working I really have to force myself up. I feel bad really as I don't have a horrible job. It just gets in the way like any job would!
  • another_casualty
    Options
    This is a very interesting topic . I have only read a few posts on here but endeavour to read all . I tend to look around me as I have an absorbent mind . Also of course, by experience etc.

There are people who know what they want early in their life, have relevant qualifications yet are bored out of their minds and just look at the pound signs. There are people who have trades like painters and decorators who get work / pay infrequently but love what they do and are always employable .

Back in the ‘80s I found work enjoyable most of the time . There was less pressure , less people and if you got on with people from different depts you were not discouraged from lunchtime / after work drinks etc
    There was no time and motion so to speak and you met many characters . I met many people and still have close ties to People over 30 years from working in an advertising company . The pay was not great , but money went further even in the thatcher years .

I worked in the early 2000’s in a job which involved more office moves than actual Postroom work which my title suggested .On top of that , my job was logging things into a help desk 3 times for every job I was going to do and done . I ended up having only 3 weekends off the whole year . I was run to the ground , but I made sure I could adapt to whatever comes my way in the future.

I had the best ever job from 2003-2006 before company relocated and my position was made redundant . Working in Postroom ( eventually manager for a year ) , it was a job where the managing director, chairman and most people were appreciative of the service I provided. Having chats , laugh and banter with the hierarchy was just the norm for some reason . The company knew how to look after the staff.

My last job was the worst of the lot . The city of London is a dump .
    The company I worked for was very cliquey and itchy ( left a letter out ) . The chairman decided if he wants to talk to you.
    Plus the treatment I received when I inherited myasthenia gravis was appalling. I am very angry . I decided then that I had to relocate , buy a flat in a cheaper area pay off my debts , recuperate and hopefully find a part time job. I have no trust anymore , hence my profile name
    Hopefully , I can do things my way for a change .
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure