This for 30 years....?

Options
Does anyone else feel a bit down faced with the prospect of working for the next 20,30,40 years?!
Part of me feels lazy for complaining, but I feel I'm missing out on so much being in work. The job itself is OK. Close to home, pays OK but during the week I have no time for anything. I suppose that's normal.
The world has so much to offer and I might not make it to retirement or be too poor / immobile to enjoy anything when I do. Feel like life is passing me by. How do others cope with this?

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Most people have loads of time it it more how you use it.

In practice a work day is 1/3 work 1/3 free 1/3 sleep 3 lots of 8hrs

then there are the weekends 2/3 free 1/3 sleep.

then there are the 5.6 weeks holiday where 1/3 work becomes 1/3 free.

on that 52 week year, 364 days

121 1/3 days sleeping

77 1/3 days working

165 1/3 days FREE
  • jimbo747
    jimbo747 Posts: 630 Forumite
    Options
    Do a job you enjoy, it's the advice my dad gave me when a kid, along with stay in education to give me best options. I love mine, find it challenging and rewarding, bonus is that it pays very well , but would do it for free if I could afford it. Been here 15 years, straight out of uni.
  • lulu650
    lulu650 Posts: 1,158 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    .......during the week I have no time for anything......The world has so much to offer and I might not make it to retirement........Feel like life is passing me by.
    It's normal to feel like that at times in your life. So what are you going to do about it?

Perhaps you could give some thought to what you feel you are missing out on precisely? Getmoreforless has made calculations for your spare time. What do you do with that time now? What could you do with it going forward?
    Saving money right, left and centre
  • TELLIT01
    TELLIT01 Posts: 16,491 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I've recently retired after working for 48 years. Would I have rather I didn't need to work? Dunno to be honest. I needed money to live, for holidays etc so work comes as part of the package.
  • balletshoes
    balletshoes Posts: 16,610 Forumite
    Options
    I've already worked full time for 34 years, another 16-ish before I fully retire. The time has gone by quickly to be honest, I think I'm like you OP, my job is OK, I work with a really nice bunch of colleagues, fairly flexible terms and conditions, and normally I work in an office about 15 minutes drive from my home. I think I have a fairly good work-life balance, I work to live, my job pays for the roof over my head, my monthly bills, and I can usually manage a decent holiday abroad for my daughter and I every couple of years.

In my 20s I worked 2 jobs for a while, one of them was in a pub so I had a social life whilst at work, and also in my 20s I travelled abroad a lot (pre-children so I had a lot more disposable income). I loved those young free and single years, and I love the balance now, I think its about right. I've never really "planned" a life plan, more or less gone with the flow. As long as I have "enough" money and enough sleep, I'm generally content to be honest. I wouldn't want not to work, I don't know what I would do with myself - until I retire with my pension and lump sum and bog off abroad for months at a time ;).
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Clearly you've not been stuck in one room by an employer and had to consider peeing on a floor or in front of customers looking silly when the door you've just walked out of then won't open up for you.

Go on maternity again? Sure some I know got it right having lots of children.

I've often wished for a "how do I know I'm in the right job" thread on here. ;)
  • BorisThomson
    BorisThomson Posts: 1,721 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Clearly you've not been stuck in one room by an employer and had to consider peeing on a floor or in front of customers looking silly when the door you've just walked out of then won't open up for you.

Go on maternity again? Sure some I know got it right having lots of children.

I've often wished for a "how do I know I'm in the right job" thread on here. ;)

Having lots of children is not going to give you more free time!

OP, could you afford to take a sabbatical or work less hours? Or could you find a job that allows you to travel more? I get where you're coming from, we've had a few seemingly healthy friends die before retirement age, pretty grim when you think about it that way.
  • xapprenticex
    xapprenticex Posts: 1,760 Forumite
    Options
    I happen to enjoy my job but I still agree with you.

I dont think life should be like this, living to work for someone else.

I'd love to work for myself one day, even if i end up doing more hours, but I'd be doing it for me and those who come after me.

Too much free time is bad for me though, ive only been off from 22nd and im bored.
  • Lizabeth21
    Lizabeth21 Posts: 161 Forumite
    Options
    The job is the means you can get the other stuff you like, whatever that may be , to enjoy your life.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Does anyone else feel a bit down faced with the prospect of working for the next 20,30,40 years?

if you save 1/3 spend 1/3 and buy a house with 1/3 you can retire in 25years, if you invest well and overpay the mortgage 20years

Groups can achieve the goal quicker or take the hit and have kids.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure