This for 30 years....?

Options

Comments

• getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Tracking my hours would be an interesting experiment! I've just worked out that work only takes around 22% of my time. Maybe that's it. Perhaps I'm just not utilising what time I do have well enough. Maybe I need to plan a few things so they get done. I do think the darkness cuts the day down. In summer I'd go for a walk / read a book in the garden etc whereas now I just watch telly. Doing several short activities would probably be more fulfilling than one longer TV session!
    The thought of work tomorrow just gets me down. Its that here we go again feeling....

A lot of jobs don't take a lot of time but do need planning.

people moan about how much washing they have and how long modern machines take but the reality is if you plan it properly the machine does all the work it only takes a couple of minute to load and unload, even if there are 4 of you and loads of stuff you can get through loads of washes by fitting them in around other activities during the week(you will have a big pile of clean stuff to sort through)

We have a 8kg machine and that will take for me a months worth of clothes in 3 washes even with 3hr washes I can get 4 done in a day and not even notice the time as the sort, load, unload totals 30mins of the day between doing other things.

I could easily do 2 washes every evening just waiting for the kettle to boil for the cuppa during the add breaks. more when we use the short washes.

With a delay start you can have a wash ready for the morning or evening when you get home.

if not filling the machine look at how you can combine to reduce the number of washes or just get more clothes, towels sheets etc.

If you have ironing to do then that is easily done while watching TV.

Another trick can be buying more gadgets, we have a downstairs and an upstairs vacuum, this reduces the effort to just have a wizz round one room.

Maybe have a go at going to bed a bit earlier get up an hour earlier and try some jobs in the morning routine during the week so they are done when you get home.

A time diary is a good idea(much like the spending diary) you begin to understand where the time(money) goes and can take back control.

It helps to have clear goals if you are spending too much time on the weekends doing stuff you don't want to be doing, what will you fill the time with if you do free it up is just as important as finding the gap to do it another day.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    This has raised the point that I'm probably not very organised. I could do bits and bobs in the week to save cleaning half the weekend.
    I always feel tired and struggle to get up but don't want to go to bed much earlier or I won't see my husband!
    I'm going to think about setting some goals. Maybe go part time again once our daughter finishes school or aim to use my pay to clear the mortgage quicker. If I'm doing this for a reason it will be easier.
  • GwylimT
    GwylimT Posts: 6,530 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    This has raised the point that I'm probably not very organised. I could do bits and bobs in the week to save cleaning half the weekend.
    I always feel tired and struggle to get up but don't want to go to bed much earlier or I won't see my husband!
    I'm going to think about setting some goals. Maybe go part time again once our daughter finishes school or aim to use my pay to clear the mortgage quicker. If I'm doing this for a reason it will be easier.

Does he do his cleaning during the week rather than the weekend? Sometimes doing it at the same time can be motivating and a bit more productive.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options

What hours does he work?

You need to look at the overlaps of work and free time
  • Tabbytabitha
    Tabbytabitha Posts: 4,684 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Does anyone else feel a bit down faced with the prospect of working for the next 20,30,40 years?!
    Part of me feels lazy for complaining, but I feel I'm missing out on so much being in work. The job itself is OK. Close to home, pays OK but during the week I have no time for anything. I suppose that's normal.
    The world has so much to offer and I might not make it to retirement or be too poor / immobile to enjoy anything when I do. Feel like life is passing me by. How do others cope with this?
    Go on a weekend to meet your mum for coffee, go shopping really early or really late - it's generally quieter. Do an hour a day of cleaning so more weekends free. Live somewhere cheaper so you can work less.
    Thanks everyone. Its great to feel support, I did expect a few people to tell me to man up but that didn't happen. Thank you.
    I suppose I need to readjust my routines. Thanks for the tips- Yes I could shop online and do more house work after work so the weekend is free. Maybe do a room a day to keep on top of everything.
    As someone mentioned, yes I can take the odd day off but I have 25 days allowance and trying to cover school holidays is a mission. I know I'm not alone in that, its just hard to work and feel I'm there enough for little one as well.
    I really get the point about planning some nice things and seeing the benefit of the longer working hours. Very good point. I now earn nearly double what I used to but don't see the benefit. All I feel is I am giving up more of my time. I should do something to realise its worth it.

Now you're working full time the housework shouldn't be your sole responsibility and, with the house empty all day there shouldn't be so much to do. Your husband will also have a minimum of 28 days holiday to add to covering the school holidays.

It isn't just you who should be adjusting habits now you're back working full time, the whole family needs to make changes as well.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    I don't know how old your kids are, but when mine were little I found that a 'mad half hour' on a Saturday morning worked wonders. All of us (me, OH, and the kids) would whizz around the house tidying up, sorting laundry, and generally getting stuff organised. Everyone feels more motivated because they can see that they're not the only ones doing it. Make it fun, do a 5-4-3-2-1 countdown, blow a whistle when the time's up, whatever works for you.

Agree with other posters re your OH pulling his weight too. Compare how much free time you each have. This is time when you can just do whatever you want - or nothing at all. Time spent cooking, cleaning, sorting out the children, laundry, dog walking, or running a taxi service doesn't count.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • bugslet
    bugslet Posts: 6,874 Forumite
    Options
    LOL, you could do a time spreadsheet for OH as well, I leave it to your discretion wether you tell him you are doing it, or it could be a surprise at the end of the week.

I'm now imagining a bar chart with nice colours showing how much housework you each do. Might need to book Relate now though:rotfl:
  • Fireflyaway
    Options
    Oh dear! Made me laugh! My husband does offer to help but because he is gone from 6am to 8pm I don't like to accept during the week at least. Like the idea of making a game like Mary popins!
    Anyway on another note...... Be careful what you wish for. Got in the car this morning and it wouldn't go into gear! Now at home waiting for RAC!!
  • loskie
    loskie Posts: 1,761 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    take up a team sport for a couple of hours a week, hockey, football, netball, whatever.
    It will give you a new lease of life.
  • Fireflyaway
    Options
    I did think about sport. I used to love horse riding. Maybe once I've lost a few pounds I might re look at that!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure