What small moneysaving things will you be doing this NEW YEAR'S week? W/C 01/01/18

Options

Comments

• FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Evening all!

A spendy day for me today as I filled the car with petrol and also did a bit of a 'shop'. I bought a picture frame but put back two blue colander a after walking around with them in my trolley for a while! I did have to buy a new house phone as this one is on its last legs and malfunctioning but the new one was reduced and I used my new... staff discount card :T

I had lunch out with my mum and then took her shopping, (separately to my own.) I had missed a couple of my ADs so, against all instructions, took two at once last night so have been feeling a bit woolly headed all day.

I am working tomorrow but finishing early to take DS to the dentist then working the next four days and then 5 days the following week too to cover for sickness, it's gonna kill me, I like working just three days!

I took some more muchly reduced cheese to the dog rescue centre again tonight, not money saving for me exactly but this gets the best bang for my buck for the charity!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • 1SmallStep
    Options
    Waves to Ziggy...sending best wishes!

Took swim kit to work but didn't navigate the instructions about when it was open very well. Years back when I worked from the site with the pool regularly you could just go and pick the key up anytime of day or night as long as there were more than two of you in the pool it was ok! A bit more structured now,and safer! Anyway, hung around for a while outside pool and nice bloke showed me how to find out when it's open each day as it change based on volunteer lifeguards availability. So no exercise but learnt something v useful!

DD's deferred coming for dinner tonight so I made use of my early return and pumped bike up ready to cycle to work tomorrow. It's about 13 miles. Better leave in plenty of time am really not fast. Will be delighted if I can just keep going on most of the hills, very out of practice!
    Proud I fathomed out the bike pump without needing to ask paying guest!

DD's shuts soaked in soda all day and now going through wash. Her coming tomorrow instead of tonight means it can all drip dry. Australian paying guest keen on the heating being on so make use of it. Have shut up all rooms we aren't using and turned their rads off :).

Have retrieved a few things to advertise for sale locally from shed. Cleaned off and photos taken! Going to look at ziffit in a bit, we have CDs and books that could be useful to turn into pennies.

Claiming a NSD today. Had to refuel the hire car immediately before drop off but it was less than anticipated, and paid for from cash I got ready last week. Have got cards on lock down at the moment!
    Have dug out loyalty cards I stopped bothering about carrying around with me and made use of one of these.

Been having a nightmare getting my work laptop to connect from home so may have to go in early and try to sort my expenses out at the office rather than do now. Am determined they will be in this week but system keeps putting hoops in my way! Grr. Perhaps I ought to start pedalling now!
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Wishing everyone health, wealth and love for 2018.

We have been having a very calm day, the last of our guests went home, we have enjoyed the various guests we have had over the last 12 nights but it was good to be just the 4 of us this afternoon. I have an hour to myself as the other 3 have gone off to martial arts training so I have put my computer on, the first time in a fortnight, had to use my phone in my occasional spare moments, and come on here to say Hello.

We ended up dropping my car off at the garage today :( hopefully, they can sort the problem quickly and cheaply.

Both yesterday and today have been NSD's
    All food & drinks from stores
    Washed hair and let it dry naturally
    Set dw & wm to run overnight
    OH making hm crumpets, yummy
    Lit solid fuel stove
    Put kettles on top for free hot water
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • Baileys_Babe
    Baileys_Babe Posts: 5,590 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Today's plan is to visit the in laws and exchange gifts.

Breakfast from home.
    L & D at in laws

Not sure of what we will be doing at in laws. It will be a NSD unless we take a walk into their local town for a tour of the charity shops.

I am going to take a couple of games for us to play in case the weather is not good enough to go for a walk.
    Fashion on a ration 2024 66/66 coupons remaining
    80 coupons rolled over 0/80 coupons spent - using for secondhand purchases

One
     income, home educating family 
  • 1SmallStep
    Options
    There was no biking to work today... Storms slamming the coastline down here! Opted for the train instead...gone up from 4.90 to 6.20!! Incentive to cycle has increased! Used time on train to do some online jobs including paying builder. Only 250 left to pay now! Used up shrapnel to cover fare so was glad house tidying uncovered so much. Nearly gone now though! Have stuck my nose out of train at several stops to reassure myself it's properly blowy and wet out there and might have put me off ever cycling again! I have bought a spare pair of rarely worn shoes, towel and wash kit in with me so I won't need to carry those on the bike each time :) living up to my name today! 6.20!!!
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 3 January 2018 at 6:12PM
    Options
    Dammit, lost my post despite doing an emergency copy/paste!

I'll try again

Hello to ziggy - we missed you :)

Big hugs to everyone

Bit of a change of plans last night, we went out for sushi... naughty I know but we did enjoy it. I also gave myself a banging sugar headache from eating too many sweets and cakes in work :o

So today:
    • B/L/D from stores (all healthy food!!) - done
    • Survive work :rotfl: - done
    • Sort Bulk powders order with 35% off code - done
    • Go to the gym at lunchtime! Rib still achey so will just do yoga/stretching routine but at least shows some willing - oh my days. Turned me jelly legged.
    • Book in for a 1-2-1 with my coach to discuss my goals for the year - done
    • Pack suitcase for going to mum's
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • OH hopefully to do some housework - done
    • Epilate the underarms and legs (def saves a fortune on razors)
    • Wrap the pressies, as didn't last night
    • No alcohol
    • Early night as have an early start tomorrow
    Have a good one all

clf x
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • Bagpuss741
    Bagpuss741 Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. NSD
    3. Surveys and Bzzagent
    4. Read magazine
    5. Netflix

Bit of a short list for me but was up most of the night because of pain in my operated knee
    Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,077 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Morning All

Thank you all for the very warm welcome back, I've missed you guys too. Today we will:

Check Bank & made PAD - Done
    Read meters & upload - Done
    Ironing -
    DIY Pamper session -
    Read "NT" info (just joined) -
    Purge a few emails -
    Enter a few comps -
    Surveys -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Checked: Luckyphone, Luckybob, FPL -

Have a great day all.

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 3 January 2018 at 4:49PM
    Options
    Morning guys :) feeling properly virtuous this morning - this can all flop in a blink of an eye (aka several hours lost to the tinternet! but no I will remain virtuous!

So far I have:

* made oh's lunch using up small lo's from last night, a ham sandwich using 10p ys pack of ham, 2 slices of 25p ys loaf & a ys coconut yogurt :)
    * put red lentil ragu in sc - currently on high smelling delish. will reduce to low shortly
    * sorted out recycling and went to put it out and my neighbour told me they are collecting on Friday! At least it's now all done ;)
    * folded and put away washing. Put another in machine
    * tidied up d/s
    * sent oh the link for cheap flights (as per the newsletter) to hopefully cheer him up. He has the post holiday blues :(
    * got a steak out of the freezer for his tea. Got to do what I can to rally my man! Will send him to the gym this evening....
    * read newsletter
    * looked for happy hour places for Sat as going out with a friend

Still to do:
    * think I'll get madam ready and take her to the local zoo using membership cards ;) either that or go for a woodland walk currently madam is upstairs playing happily :D we sorted out 5 items to give away and she then discovered some toys and has been lost in play for the last 40 mins :T have me a chance to do a few jobs ;) we walked to the allotment in the end and picked some brussels and 2 small swedes :money:
    [STRIKE]* take lunch, snacks & drinks with us [/STRIKE] took mocha in thermos cup (honestly got to be one of the best buys ever! It is a steel one that I got for 50p at the bootfair nearly 3 years ago now :T) a drink for madam and some peanuts for snacks ;)
    * flylady madam's bedroom & vacuum upstairs

* [STRIKE]pay final installment of cc (paid from gc budget all other budgets paid)[/STRIKE]
    * read book, knit, play games & paint with madam
    * [STRIKE]might stop at library on way home[/STRIKE]
    [STRIKE]* stop at local shop to get some fruit for madam[/STRIKE] nothing reduced worth buying now and madam decided she will have raisins tomorrow but there were loads of xmas bits reduced but not at a big enough reduction for me. Will pop back there after 8.30 as there were loads of cheese boards, pate, antipasti platters.:money:
    * continue with UFM and today's/yesterday's tasks
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,120 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi Wednesday Savers,
    Still blowing a gale here. Took one look & went back to bed with my book & a huge coffee. Have some prep to do for a meeting later so not as much of a list as I'd like. Here are the frugal bits though:
    *Turkey soup from freezer for mr f's lunch. He said it was my best one ever. The only difference was adding an extra leek, as far as I can remember.
    *Laundry done overnight on cheap tariff. Now on heated airer.
    *Packed all the gift bags, ribbons & gift wrap I saved on Christmas Day away in my recycled wrappings stash.
    *Used the back of a Christmas card to make 2 templates which I used to turn our cards into festive gift tags for next year. Recycled ribbons & vintage embroidery threads used too, so a completely free activity.
    *Jacket potato night tonight. Not sure what I fancy on mine but mr f has ferretted various containers of leftovers out of the freezer & will apparently be constructing the 1st Epic Man Stew of 2018.
    *All free leisure later as intend to read & knit.
    *mr f will run me to town later & collect me after my meeting so I shan't need to pay car park fees.
    *Did a survey.
    Cat hasn't even got up yet. Don't blame him!
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure