What small moneysaving things will you be doing this NEW YEAR'S week? W/C 01/01/18

Options

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,122 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hello all - & welcome to newcomers & returners. So glad I can now rest easy about the cheese.
    FVD- Sorry to hear about your lovely fox. I did used to enjoy hearing about what he was getting for his supper. A virtual clip round the earhole for your DS too..I'd have been so mad!
    Anyway....useful no-spend day so here goes:
    *Ironing.....only did the items which really needed it. If Mr f 'never irons his jeans & t-shirts', why would I iron them?
    *Updated grocery budget.
    *Diary planning session with Mr f.
    *Annual Money Summit meeting with Mr f. Discussed & agreed on various financial issues for this year.
    *Write up my (free) 2018 calendar.
    *Mended an item which has been on my Annoying Things list ever since I wrote it. Time taken to mend = 15 mins. Cost = £0.
    *Did next week's meal plans.
    *Wrote shopping list.
    *Tonight's meal is the turkey curry I made during last week's big leftovers batch cooking session.
    *Bake sourdough loaf.....still proving.
    *Packed 2 big charity shop bags for tomorrow. Not money saving but tidy house = tidy mind....I am totally with 1LL on that one!
    *Free leisure activities for rest of day as an really enjoying my charity shop book -
    such good prose - & if my novel (unfinished of course!) turns out even half as good, I'd be one happy lady. Will also be knitting....about 20cm to do of back then can cast on a sleeve.
    Wind getting up again here.
    Cheers all,
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,122 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Oh...
    And CLF.....I meant to respond to the comment made to you about your long letter. I love writing letters & also receiving them. My lovely friend who sadly died last year wrote fab letters & I used to put the kettle on & sit down & enjoy every one. I saw a local news item on TV before Christmas where a teacher had twinned her class of primary school children with residents of an old people's home & they were writing letters to each other. This was because when they were doing letter writing skills, the teacher discovered that none of the kids in her class had ever received a proper letter written just to them in the post. Lots of the old folk had nobody left to write to them so loved getting letters from the children. I'm going to make more effort to write proper letters this year. So my view on the comment made to you was that it was churlish & not my experience at all!
    Better get this bread in the oven now before it climbs out of its basket
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening all :)
    Not posted for a couple of days as I was feeling low, and didn't want to write a catalogue of misery!
    OH is much the same, maybe a bit better, but has an appointment with a physiotherapist next Tuesday. He has also got a printout of his MRI and xray results from the GP's surgery (to show to the physio) and it really isn't that bad. Painful yes, but not 'won't be able to do anything, days of doing x and y are over' as he has been assuming (and was telling his hypochondriac sister last night on the phone at vast length :mad:). I have deciphered the terminology to him, so hopefully he will now take a more positive attitude!

And my brother has gone home, so I can now sleep in the spare room and actually get some sleep! :T

Anyway, today I have:
    No spends today
    Washed hair and allowed to dry naturally (the wind outside helped when I did dog walk #1!)
    Cooked HG fruit from freezer for breakfast instead of bought fresh fruit :)
    Walked dog x 2
    Picked up loads of rubbish from outside the front of the house that has blown from goodness knows where :( And there is more now - that can wait till this horrible wind has passed over!
    Bits from fridge for lunch (pate, toast and a side salad for me, a blue cheese and grape sandwich for OH)
    Cooked up a big pan of YS low fat mince with some fresh veg and loads of bits from the fridge. This became yummy cheese topped shepherds pie tonight (had leftover mash from the other night) and the rest will transform into something else tomorrow :) And the fridge is no longer full to bursting and looks much more organised :D
    Hoovered most of downstairs (parked OH, who sits / sprawls around indoors all the time atm) and the dog (who is afraid of the hoover) in the dining room while I did this :D Dining room not too bad.
    Trying to give way on FB or freecycle a winged armchair that needs recovering - it was OH's chair, he decided he couldn't sit in it any more, so DS brought another one from his previous home. OH prefers this 'new' one, though of course, he can't sit in it.... I don't have room for an extra armchair :( Hopefully someone will want it or I will have to struggle to the tip with it, as we really don't have the space. I would keep it if I did, as it is solid, comfy, and I can chuck a throw over it!

Now need to tackle the washing up of doom and wrap an ebay sale :)

PS sorry about the fox FVD :(
  • Lottebear
    Lottebear Posts: 794 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hello

I have had a good MSE day

- Been to work and popped into town at lunchtime and bought some reduced knickers for DD
    - Taken her to the dentist - NHS therefore covered
    - Stocked up the freezer with reduced priced goodies therefore I might be able to miss a weeks big shop, with some meal planning and trip to Lidl.
    - I have bought quite a few clothes this month using Christmas money it funny I feel guilty but really things that have worn out in the last year and I have really just replaced them.
    - Meters read for billing accuracy
  • ziggy2407
    ziggy2407 Posts: 4,078 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Good Evening All

Today we have:

Checked Bank & made PAD
    Checked Energy on MSE Energy Club
    Taken down all Christmas decorations and tree, all packed away, lounge decluttered and re-arranged
    Shopping with list
    Uploaded receipts to COS
    Listed an item for sale on FB
    Purged a few emails
    Entered a few comps
    Surveys
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer
    Checked: Luckyphone, Luckybob, FPL

Night all.

C x
    Goodreads 2024 Challenge: 30/80
    Goodreads 2023 Challenge: 77/52

• 1SmallStep
    Options
    Morning everyone!
    Some good things yesterday: cycled to work (closer site, so saved 3.90 on bus). Was quicker than anticipated. Despite some puffing got up the hill without stopping ;) dodged the rain and enjoyed free hot shower at work - felt good for it and will be doing regularly. Ache slightly today, but is wfh day so will recover, and no commuting costs today either!
    Had friend around for dinner (from freezer) she bought posh yoghurt for pudding - I'm enjoying leftovers for brekkie in bed with a hot water bottle.

Today plan to:
    Finish three reports for work in their time not mine!
    Sort out travel so no need to pay out and claim back
    Chase up expenses submissions and find out when deadline is for these to come out in January pay
    Tidy house as friends staying this weekend (they are out both days at an event nearby, and have offered to bring dinner for one night - good sort of guests!).
    B/L/D are all leftovers from Xmas. Getting to end of these!
    Sort out free event for Monday night
    Take back Xmas gift not needed - once have tracked down second part of it
    Submit info to charity for expenses repayment
    No heating during day - can snuggle and work! It'll be on more this weekend with a full house.
    Meeting neighbour for walk at some point - she also works from home. Get some steps in!
    Online banking juggling - one bill to pay I think
    Today or over weekend: review broadband packages.
    List item on Facebook / eBay
    Sort out house exchange free listing
    SS x
  • little_pink_purse
    Options
    Morning Everyone

sorry missed Thursday post i did a double shift at work then lay on the sofa
    and wasted the night and bought a takeaway ggrr not good!!!

sorry to here about mr fox FVD poor thing xxx
    DNMS have you started your new job yet
    Foxgloves i need your energy lol

todays to do

check banking getting near the bone 6 days to pay day
    start looking for cheap car insurance for DH
    bend DH ear to reduce sky bill (its in his name)
    wash on
    tidy around
    start looking out stock for units need to pull my finger out never been near them this year lol

better shake a leg

have a great day keep warm and well xx lppxxx
    debt total £71k AGE 47 TRY TO BE DEBT FREE BY 50
  • vickthestick
    Options
    Ah guys, thanks for the kind welcome back. Even just reading what everyone else is up to is helping me to focus on the small things and is calming me down about the scarier, bigger picture. :eek:

Yesterday's shopping expedition with the Smalls was successful. The middle two met up with pals in the shopping centre and went off with them, so that was nice ahead of school restarting on Monday. :)
    Brother and his wife arrive overnight so will need the heating on 24/7. It's a big old house and forecast minus 7 and 8 this weekend! But once all back to school then it can go off during the day, thankfully.

Today:
    Blitz the wee ones' bedroom
    More washing
    Check the bank
    Sort out priorities for the year
    Look at the work I brought home with me over the holidays and make a start :(:(

Have a good day everyone
    Vx
  • Bagpuss741
    Bagpuss741 Posts: 2,289 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Today I have/will:

1. Checked online banking
    2. NSD
    3. Been to hospital to have stitches out and knee brace adjusted to 60 degrees
    4. Mother called in Aldi after hospital appt. and treated me to the lime, basil and mandarin candle
    5. Surveys and bzzagent
    6. Consumer pulse
    7. Watch netflix
    8. Home physio exercises
    Tesco: £1361.19, Vanquis: £2644.73, Very: £563.08, Next: £1636.95, M&S: £1049.92. As of 5th February 2024. Slava Ukraini
  • Pippilongstocking
    Options
    Morning guys - all the best for 2018 :)

Tardy one here - nice to pop in.

Today - at hosp with wee maw, picked her up early doors
    Packed up brekkie/snacks/lunch
    Books and mags for reading here all day
    Fed mutts and sorted them before I went with a wee local walk
    Reading Uber Frugal Month blog
    Free coffee etc at the hoppital - rather not be here but if we are its nice to be looked after
    Will pop in to BF and Bro when in town to make most of my petrol
    Taken smaller car today to maximse petrol use
    Tea will be from stores
    Need to check banks and sort out a few payments - see what extra I have going out of my account that I don't need to be

Have a good one.........
    Total debt 26/4/18 <£1925 we were getting there. :beer:
    Total debt as of 28/4/19 £7867.38:eek:
    minus 112.06 = £7755.32:money:
    :money:Sleeves up folks.:money:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts