What small moneysaving things will you be doing this NEW YEAR'S week? W/C 01/01/18

Options

Comments

• little_pink_purse
    Options
    Happy new year every one

thanks DNMS re my 10k off my debt glad it gone got a few things to catch up and work out the next debt to clear

today's to do
    wash on
    nsd
    meals from stores
    work cant moan double time
    check the fridge
    get ready for work tomorrow

have a great day keep warm and well xxxlppxxxx
    debt total £71k AGE 47 TRY TO BE DEBT FREE BY 50
  • determined_new_ms
    determined_new_ms Posts: 7,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 1 January 2018 at 11:17PM
    Options
    Hi everyone :hello: Happy New Year _party_ I hope everyone had a lovely night last night and a good day today whatever your choice of leisure it brings you maximum joy :A

We saw the new year in at my bff's and danced, gamed and laughed the new year in :beer: then went and stayed in their new tiny house in the garden :cool:

This morning we were treated to cooked breakfast, as much tea and coffee as we wanted and just got the op to bask in my bff's company a bit more :happylove

Has been a nice peaceful afternoon since being home and I have/will:

* hung a load of washing up
    * ys roast chicken in the oven - I am intending to make the most of this chicken to do a few meals over the week ;)
    * 1 bath for 2 people
    * have made a massive pan of potatoes to mash and freeze for later in the week
    * using up last of the xmas fresh veg :money:
    * written out 2018 calendar and thrown away 2017
    * organised plans for tomorrow - me and madam still off :cool:
    * NSD :D Think I'm going to try for 20 this month!
    * will get some refried beans & fajita chicken out of freezer for oh to have for lunch tomorrow
    * have read my book and will again later. Also might get knitting out but am quite tired.

Early night I think! :cool:

Dawn that sounds dreadful for your dh. I hope he is in less pain today

Bagpuss glad to see you and hear you are well but your knee op sounds awful too! Speedy recovery
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Womblng 2020:
    NSD Jan 2/18 YTD: 2
  • carrielovesfanta
    carrielovesfanta Posts: 2,978 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 1 January 2018 at 7:53PM
    Options
    Dawn - sorry to hear your hubby is in so much pain :(
    • B/D from stores. Possibly lunch out - done
    • Climbing up Moel Famau with the folks from the gym and we might all go for late lunch together - hence the lunch out - done
    • Take down the Christmas decs. I love them and I love putting them up but I do get a certain sense of satisfaction putting everything back to normal too. - done
    • Message my friend to ask her to measure her toddler before I sew the cardi together - done
    • Sort out the fridge. Unfortunately there's some stuff to be binned that got out of hand while I was sick. It just wouldn't occur to OH to do these things. It's been obvious that he doesn't look after himself because while I've been ill, he's been skipping meals and eating carp again. Does anyone else find that while their OH is wonderful and helpful, they don't do anything without you asking them to? - partly done
    • Bin disembowelled pen found on computer desk (couldn't fix it) - done
    • Sew up cardi once I have the measurements - not got back to me
    • No alcohol - done
    • Write out my intention list somewhere I can see it
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    HappyKitties, I am very jealous of your bargainous Dreamies (AKA kitty crack), but not half as jealous as my cats would be if they knew!

Purps, sultanas are MUCH nicer than raisins and that sherry is vintage ;)

Dawn, sorry your DS is suffering again, you have a lot on your plate at the moment!

New Year new posters! Good to see that the new recruits are all still with us!

I was away last night but we stayed in watching TV and eating kebab, my favourite kind of evening! Today I have:

Picked up a couple of YS snacky bits for DS and some eggs and fresh bread for me. Eggs, tomatoes and mushrooms for lunch.

I've swapped the bins around, the rubbish was collected on Saturday but I'm not sure when the recycling has been rescheduled to but it's there for whenever they come.

I've put some cat litter into a washing up bowl (higher sides than cat litter boxes) and put it inside the dog kennel for the cats to hopefully use instead of my window boxes! I have trapped the plastic door flaps out of the way under the lid until they get used to it.

Dinner tonight is going to be hot sausage rolls with HM chips and beans.

Have a good evening all!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    DawnW wrote: »
    Morning all :)
    OH had a rotten night with his wretched back (almost took him to A&E, as it has definitely got worse again :(). So I was awake most of the night after staying up till after the fireworks with the dog. Got up at 5, had a bath, some coffee and breakfast and then went back to bed for a couple of hours. Feeling a bit more alive now, and have done the following so far:
    Walked dog
    Got some milk from the corner shop
    Ordered DD2's birthday present
    Did my weekly litter pick along the pavement and grass verge along the terrace -not as much as I thought there would be, given it was NYE last night
    Lettuce and potato soup bubbling on stove to use up tired lettuces and the end of a bag of frozen peas :)

Still to do:
    Make 'pizzas' with a stale half loaf, a couple of spoonfuls of tinned tomatoes and bits from the fridge :)Done, some shreds of ham, half a chopped pepper, some of the acres of cheese from the fridgeand a shake of dried oregano :)
    Dinner will be toad in the hole - hope I can stretch the one egg I have left to make the batter (I normally use 2 for a big one). Bet I can! I will use up some veggie sausages I had in the freezer for a grand daughter who is vegetarian, but wanted fish fingers instead :rotfl: Done, worked fine with the one egg, maybe not as spectacularly risen as usual, but good enough :)
    Also made a batch of apple and sultana scones, to use up an apple with a big decayed patch but the rest of it was ok. I must freeze some of these.
    Finish putting the dining room back to pre-Christmas tree state Not yet
    See what OH is like when he gets up - may yet end up in A&E :(
    Walk dog again at some point Done

I think that is all I will manage today!

OH is actually a bit better today (he got up at about 11.30), and tomorrow, thank goodness, the Drs surgery and the physio practice will be open and back to normal, so we will see how he is in the morning.

Dog made me laugh, his latest thing is to enthusiastically greet anyone who happens to open their front door, get out of their car or walk down their garden path as we walk past, as if they are long lost friends :rotfl: He is very small and cute looking, and absolutely nobody he has greeted like this has been able to ignore him. All ages, surly teens and tattooed workmen as well as women and children, are enchanted by this. He has made lots of new friends :rotfl:

Then he goes and spoils it by lurching at a cat, barking (from a safe distance of course, most cats are bigger than him and he isn't daft) or spending ages chasing away any bird that dares to approach the bird table in the garden. but of course, his new friends never see this behaviour :rotfl:
  • foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,121 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Evening New Year Money Savers,
    A busy day, but very useful:
    *Decluttered old underbed box. Contents sorted into 'Keep, bin, recycle, mend, donate.or move to loft' Found 3 items for re-gifting.
    *Cleared out linen cupboard. Was just wondering what to do with saggy cushion (but lovely cover) & a large cushion pad from something else when (duh!) it occurred to me to try the pad in the cushion cover. Result! Plumptious 'new' cushion which looks great for free!
    *Sorted out another £20's worth of stuff for Ziffit so that will be over £109 in total in the last 3 days.
    *Making great headway with festive eat-it-ups.
    *Did laundry overnight on cheap tariff. Will be setting timer again tonight for another early hours cheap wash.
    *Knit & read later & maybe a bit of TV.
    *Two baths from 1 lot of hot water. Our energy payment was reduced by £19 a month last year & I'd prefer it not to increase anytime soon.
    Have a peaceful night all,
    Oooh & HK...glad you were able to get some of the pomegranate moisturisers. I always used those till I heard they were about to be discontinued then I swspped to one of their 'Oils of life' creams which is fab but expensive so I was happy to buy my former faves at such a good price.
    My cat is also a Dreamies addict. I ate one for a blogpost a while back to see what all the fuss was about....in the interest of science of course!
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • carrielovesfanta
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »
    My cat is also a Dreamies addict. I ate one for a blogpost a while back to see what all the fuss was about....in the interest of science of course!
    F x

So... er... what was the verdict? :think:
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: £10,490.31
    Student loan repaid: 01/07/2019
    SAVINGS: £20,000
    Car final lump sum: £6113/£6113
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,440 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    foxgloves wrote: »

My DD used to eat loads of those Go Cat things whenever she got the chance, when she was small :rotfl:I wasn't impressed at the time (neither was the cat) but they didn't seem to do her any harm :D
  • 1SmallStep
    Options
    Evening all! Thanks for sharing all of your news and tips. Dawn - I never knew lettuce soup was a thing but am now keen to investigate, as I often get a few limp bits at the end :)
    Went for a run and a free swim with a friend this morning....was a bit of a jolt ,how quickly fitness gets sapped. We are going to try to be active each time we see each other as we may as well get some exercise done whilst we natter. Coincidentally heard interesting r4 programme on the importance of activity rather than surges of intense exercise at about 1230 today, but had just parked up to go for a short walk before lunch at my folks, so had to miss it! Will listen again sometime soon! Been on leftovers all day ,and still multiple meals to go. Many are donated leftovers though so a double bonus - have had 'extra portions of x,y,z' offered on many of my visits to friends the week. People are so kind and I'm unafraid to say yes please! Couldn't find my work pass this evening so have unintentionally cleaned all sorts of bits of the house. Found it eventually, but on the way also recovered a lost key for the bike chain, about 70p in cash, and numerous pens.., oh and a box of chocolate! Now have the Xmas decade half up half down, but will deal with them tomorrow.
    Been wading through expenses tonight,have submitted another two batches, just one to go tomorrow I think.
    Cooked extra mash tonight and had the last of our Xmas meal veg mashed in with it, then a courgette fritter on the top, scrummy! Mash was for tomorrow when DD is home for dinner. My first day back at work so trying to make the evening easy! Giving my hired car back tomorrow morning, have had it all Xmas break. Have made good use of it and seen lots of friends who are tricky to visit via public transport, hopefully banked a few 'lift' favours, and made sure I stopped for short walks in interesting places I don't often get to see. No big supermarket shop this time though - we are on tight belts until payday, car or no car! Happy new year folks :) Good luck to all with debt busting this year!
  • FatVonD
    FatVonD Posts: 5,315 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Was this an indoor or outdoor swim, 1SmallStep? When I used to waterski regularly it was a bit of a 'thing' to go on New Years Day, well, all through winter as well but folk would be wearing track suits under a dry suit so not quite as brave as swimming!
    Make £25 a day in April £0/£750 (March £584, February £602, January £883.66)

December £361.54, November £322.28, October £288.52, September £374.30, August £223.95, July £71.45, June £251.22, May£119.33, April £236.24, March £106.74, Feb £40.99, Jan £98.54) Total for 2017 - £2,495.10
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure