Mooloo’s Managing it in 2018

Options

Comments

• annandale
    annandale Posts: 1,469 Forumite
    Options
    29th Aug 18, 7:38 PM
    They are working. But on minimum wages. Their hours fluctuate massively . They are already paying rent on their house. They just can't live there at the moment as it's not safe.
    With minimal income they can't rent privately nobody would let to them without a guaranteed income. Private rent with no assistance is way out of their league and indeed mine. Your talking of around £800 a month. They are only earning around £170 each on a good week, often less. They still have all the other bills to pay.
    If they struggle to live within their means private rentals will only exacerbate the problem and if they can't manage their budget it will go against them being able to provide for their boys.
    Sometimes life is complicated.

Are they living in council or HA housing just now? Can they ask for a transfer? Have they involved their MP or local councillor? Community police? I understand what it is like to live in an area where it's not always safe, that is pretty much where I have been in the past.

If they have fluctuating hours and they are in a Universal Credit area they can apply for UC and they will get help with their rent in months when they aren't earning much. In months where they earn too much they won't get it but it will give them some some support in times where they don't have enough income to pay rent.

I wouldn't be advising them to give up a secure tenancy to go into private renting, but they may have to make a fuss to get this situation resolved to a tolerable level with this family

All councils and HAs should have an anti social behaviour policy. I understand that they will be fearful of repercussions but if they haven't gone down the formal complaint route then they may need to consider it.

I had to involve politicians to try and help me when my local council would not. I also understand that their safety is important but long term, something needs to happen so they can hopefully return home sooner rather than later.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    annandale wrote: »
    Are they living in council or HA housing just now? Can they ask for a transfer? Have they involved their MP or local councillor? Community police? I understand what it is like to live in an area where it's not always safe, that is pretty much where I have been in the past.

The problem with a transfer could well be that currently they only qualify for a one bedroom property, which would not be suitable for the children. A HA is unlikely to give a 2 bedroom property (if they are in demand) in a swap to a couple who currently do not have any children living with them
  • annandale
    Options
    The problem with a transfer could well be that currently they only qualify for a one bedroom property, which would not be suitable for the children. A HA is unlikely to give a 2 bedroom property (if they are in demand) in a swap to a couple who currently do not have any children living with them

In my area there are very few 1 bedroom properties. I am single with no kids and I live in a 2 bed flat. I own it, but I rented it for over 20 years before I bought. There are a tiny number of one bed flats and houses and they tend to be allocated to older people and not single people, far less couples.

I think given that they have two kids (if I am right), that they would qualify for more than a one bedroom flat. If they are planning to have the kids back soon then surely they would need to be accommodated on that basis

The bigger picture is what is being done to try and resolve the issue with the anti social family
  • Savvy_sewing
    Savvy_sewing Posts: 11,574 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    i wish I knew but even after details of their operation police have not been seen to do anything and have told my son they have no protection system to help them. They are on their own.
    Tonight gf got messaged about available substance and she replied with No we are clean now.

Thankfully they are not at home as it's worse when they cab turn up on the door.

I had a full on day at work.
    Tired now. But feel in control of me at the moment.
    X
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Awake about 6.20 so fast forward the teasmade. Enjoying a cup of tea and checked my funds, email and social media. An hour of my life gone in a few tasks.
    I was going to go to work early but I have to take the car to the garage for 9am so it's not worth it.
    Staff is coming in today to help me as there is so much work in. Then I can get on with the curtains that I cannot do when I am on my own in the shop.
    I also still have house guests so I am going to read a bit to start the day off .
    Have a good one x
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
  • marliepanda
    marliepanda Posts: 7,186 Forumite
    Options
    annandale wrote: »
    In my area there are very few 1 bedroom properties. I am single with no kids and I live in a 2 bed flat. I own it, but I rented it for over 20 years before I bought. There are a tiny number of one bed flats and houses and they tend to be allocated to older people and not single people, far less couples.

I think given that they have two kids (if I am right), that they would qualify for more than a one bedroom flat. If they are planning to have the kids back soon then surely they would need to be accommodated on that basis

Which is why I said depending on demand.

However the children won’t be counted. They are not ‘planning’ on having them back they are having to prove they can care for them so SS allow them to have them back. The children were almost put up for adoption not long back, which is a huge step for SS, so they are not going to be allocated a home to house their children which currently SS don’t think they’re going to get back. Otherwise people would be stuck in properties too big for their needs, where the housing benefit won’t cover the rent because it’s over and above their needs, and to a family already struggling with money that would not be helpful.
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do hope that your houseguests are keeping your home neat and tidy, Mooloo!
  • thorsoak
    thorsoak Posts: 7,166 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I do hope that your house guests are keeping your home neat and tidy, Mooloo ...and maybe cutting the grass in the garden too! xx
  • annandale
    Options
    It's the polices job to make sure people are safe if there are violent incidents going on. Most councils have an anti social task force as well. It's possibly time your son and his gf got them involved and their local Councillor or mp.

Totally understand that some people are let down when it comes to anti social incidents. I've been there. But it won't be resolved by them doing nothing about this. And if your sons gf is getting messages about buying drugs surely she can block the number of the person sending those messages. Why on earth would you be in phone contact with the people who are harassing you?
  • Savvy_sewing
    Options
    Which is why I said depending on demand.

However the children won’t be counted. They are not ‘planning’ on having them back they are having to prove they can care for them so SS allow them to have them back. The children were almost put up for adoption not long back, which is a huge step for SS, so they are not going to be allocated a home to house their children which currently SS don’t think they’re going to get back. Otherwise people would be stuck in properties too big for their needs, where the housing benefit won’t cover the rent because it’s over and above their needs, and to a family already struggling with money that would not be helpful.

These are different children.
    My twin2 had her children adopted 6 years ago.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure