Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.

Options

Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    newgirly wrote: »
    Glad the wedding went well Alex :)

It's true what you say, you think people you haven't seen for years will all still be as they were when we ourselves have moved on. Had to laugh at the overweight balding 'vain' friend :rotfl::rotfl:

Thanks, NG. :)

I shouldn't laugh but it was amusing to see him after a long time. He was the sort of person to tell everyone he would always look after himself and wouldn't end up how he has. Now he boasts about having enough money to "keep" his family in a house in the country and have a flat in London for his work. Different type of vanity, I suppose.
    I know what you mean about people moving on and things changing. We invited lots of old friends and family to a large party a few years ago and were really surprised when most rellies turned us down because they were too old to travel to a party...

And then there was a friend we had only been in scant contact with for a few years who now has a serious heart condition. It really makes us focus on our positive circumstances (despite being old and too fat, and still in debt).

A bit of comparison never hurt any of us, providing we have a sense of perspective - which you do.

:( That's very sad, SL. I notice my parents getting older and more frail, especially my father.

To be honest, I was dreading seeing some of the people I saw over the weekend as I'd built up an image of them having perfect lives, marriages, all being very prosperous and a walking, living image of success whilst I've been through some very difficult times. Not the case at all: none have perfect lives and most are married to prim little princesses with little else going on in their lives than gossip, shopping and coffee mornings. :eek:
    Without getting to philosophical on a Sunday morning, i think its all a part of appreciating our own sense of self! It'll have been happening for hundreds of years, however i do fear for our own kids having to do it through the glare of "un-social media".

Sounds like you had a great day and are motivated for your next life phase!

Now get that decluttering sorted. My advice is to declutter the storage units as well as the junk that's in them!

I think you're right, Jimmy. :)

Certainly has left me thinking things aren't so bad these days. Also hope my son doesn't become too interested in social media as he gets older.

Life phase ... hope you don't mean middle age? :eek:

Decluttering has begun and I have over £2,000 worth of good up for sale at the moment. Advice taken on board; we are planning to get rid of a few cabinets also. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Karmacat wrote: »
    That same comparison can be really surprising ... I was in the mood to google the names of the people I was seeing in the photos I was scanning. Searched for one girl who grew up in the town next door to me, very well off (father was a bank manager, a big deal back then), and she married a JRR Tolkien relative. I met her at polytechnic. But at a certain point, finances etc don't mean a thing - she died at the age of 53.

I'd feel more comfortable saying "live your life" if I wasn' t stuck at home with a lurgy that finds me unable to talk ...

Hope you get well soon, Karmacat. :)

To be honest, I don't think finances mean a lot at all without your health (unless being used to aid recovery). :(
    beanielou wrote: »
    Glad all went well yesterday.
    Happy decluttering!

Thank you, beanie. :)
    Congratulations on collecting some more wisdom yesterday, Alex! ;)

It sounds like a lovely day and well done on being such a good Best Man! :j :beer:

Thank you, PB. :)

Certainly felt like I did collect some more wisdom. :o Mrs. K. did too .... 4kg to deal with is not the same as c.30kg, it doesn't mean I'm grossly overweight and she should be pleased I can still fit into clothes I wore when I was a student. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ;)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    beanielou wrote: »
    Have a good week.

Thank you, Beanie. Going to try my best to.

Certainly started well with beautiful weather, an easy day work wise, nice food cooked and consumed and a couple of good walks. :D
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thanks Alex, my throat is definitely starting to get better again.

You sound like this weekend just gone has been *so* positive for you, its brilliant :):):)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Thanks, Karmacat. Glad to hear you're on the mend. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Been out for a long walk tonight. :) Apparently the weather is set to be not as nice tomorrow so going to try to do a little more decluttering tomorrow evening.

Parenting can be very frustrating at times! My son has managed to fall out with three friends today at school but refuses to tell me why. :mad: Can't say I'm pleased about this as he seems to make progress so far with schoolfriends only to fall out with them. Recently I've caught him saying a few superior things to others, quite silly and boastful things but the kind of behaviour which would potentially make others like him a bit less than if he didn't like the sound of his own voice quite so much. :( My cousin had to tell him off the other week for calling another child a "peasant".
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • Bluefire
    Bluefire Posts: 476 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    My cousin had to tell him off the other week for calling another child a "peasant".

Where is he getting this from do you think? Who in his life is he spending time with that's influencing his behaviour in this way?
    Mortgage: [STRIKE]08/13 £28,896.49[/STRIKE] 01/18 £0
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    As far as fallouts go though, Alex, it happens all the time - keep an eye on it, of course, but experimenting with who you are and who you like is what an awful lot of childhood is actually about :)
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »

To be honest, I was dreading seeing some of the people I saw over the weekend as I'd built up an image of them having perfect lives, marriages, all being very prosperous and a walking, living image of success whilst I've been through some very difficult times. Not the case at all: none have perfect lives and most are married to prim little princesses with little else going on in their lives than gossip, shopping and coffee mornings. :eek:

While I think its great that you have had your eyes opened a bit to the realities of everybody's lives, please don't be judgemental about these women. Meeting them on one Saturday at a wedding doesn't give you any clue about what might have happened/be happening in their lives, just as they wouldn't know the full story about what you've overcome by meeting you that one occasion.
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    No decluttering done or work to the kitchen as the weather was not so bad. We had another good walk with the dogs instead followed by a drive. :D
    Bluefire wrote: »
    Where is he getting this from do you think? Who in his life is he spending time with that's influencing his behaviour in this way?

My parents, most likely.
    Karmacat wrote: »
    As far as fallouts go though, Alex, it happens all the time - keep an eye on it, of course, but experimenting with who you are and who you like is what an awful lot of childhood is actually about :)

Thank you, Karma. It can be very easy to lose sight of this fact sometimes.

By his account he's kept himself out of trouble today and was allowed to play the piano to the rest of the school today. :)
    While I think its great that you have had your eyes opened a bit to the realities of everybody's lives, please don't be judgemental about these women. Meeting them on one Saturday at a wedding doesn't give you any clue about what might have happened/be happening in their lives, just as they wouldn't know the full story about what you've overcome by meeting you that one occasion.

Food for thought, thank you, RS. :)

To be honest, the comments came from their husbands. By their accounts a lot of them had children and in the process seem to have changed.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills