Renovations and Repayments II: New Year, New Start, New Diary.

Options

Comments

• AlexLK
    AlexLK Posts: 6,125 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Gally: it’s wonderful to see them back. :) My son amused me tonight, he said “when I’m an adult and have my own house, can we check on the ospreys over FaceTime?” :rotfl: :D

Daisy: she has a rented house. I possibly made it sound like she lived with my in laws, she doesn’t. The rented house is the reason why she will inherit my in laws house as they want to know each of their children has a house they own and the in laws will be unable to give their other children money to the value of the house. We know this because they had a conversation with brother-in-law and Mrs. K., telling them what to expect, I suppose. In laws are quite a lot younger than my parents so shouldn’t be something we’re dealing with any time soon, hopefully.

Saw my parents today. They seem quite determined to stick with their decision. Luckily their dog and my dog are close as she’ll be spending a lot more time with us. I hadn’t realised my parents wanted to visit some of the places they are planning to go to this year. Mother is quite keen to go on a safari but is concerned father won’t be well enough / could become ill on the trip and not be able to get adequate medical help so she asked if we would like to go. :eek: My son would absolutely love it, I know that much. :D
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
    Mortgage Overpayments £5,500
  • daisy_1571
    daisy_1571 Posts: 1,223 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    That sounds great, we had many grown up holidays with the in laws and also a couple with my folks. Made them feel more confident with 'young people' around, gave us holidays we could never otherwise have afforded but gave us really good joint memories.

Dxx
    2022: 3🏅 4⭐ 2023: 5🎖🏅🏅 🎖🏅6 ⭐⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐ Never save something for a special occasion. Every day in your life is a special occasion. Take hold of every moment - anon I'm a clutterbug butterfly 🦋 The difference between what you were yesterday and what you will be tomorrow is what you do today Well organised clutter is still clutter - Joshua Becker If you aren't already using something in your home, you won't start using it more by shoving it in a cupboard- AJMoney
  • Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,350 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Thanks very much for the Osprey nudge. They were ahem doing their thing yesterday. Hopefully a good clutch of eggs to nurture. We are off up near Loch Garten at Easter and currently have everything crossed that their long-standing pair return and are not chased away this year
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 31.1% spent or £932.98/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,403 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    Enjoy your weekend :)
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • gallygirl
    gallygirl Posts: 17,228 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Thanks very much for the Osprey nudge. They were ahem doing their thing yesterday. Hopefully a good clutch of eggs to nurture. We are off up near Loch Garten at Easter and currently have everything crossed that their long-standing pair return and are not chased away this year

Their stamina is amazing, after flying a couple of thousand miles I'm sure that would be the last thing on my mind :rotfl::):rotfl::rotfl:
    A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort
    :) Mortgage Balance = £0 :)
    "Do what others won't early in life so you can do what others can't later in life"
  • edinburgher
    edinburgher Posts: 13,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Luckily their dog and my dog are close as she’ll be spending a lot more time with us.

To a dog owner - I'm sure this makes perfect sense. To somebody who has never owned a dog - hilarious :rotfl:
    gallygirl wrote: »
    Their stamina is amazing, after flying a couple of thousand miles I'm sure that would be the last thing on my mind :rotfl::):rotfl::rotfl:

Surely it depends on whether the flight was in economy or business class? :D
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    daisy_1571 wrote: »
    That sounds great, we had many grown up holidays with the in laws and also a couple with my folks. Made them feel more confident with 'young people' around, gave us holidays we could never otherwise have afforded but gave us really good joint memories.

Dxx

Well, my mother has planned and booked the trip. When I say planned, she spoke to a travel agent. :rotfl: Son will be having 3 weeks off school for it which I'm sure they won't be pleased about but he'll be spending his birthday on the Serengeti and he can catch up. Not lucky enough for my parents to be paying, currently owe them just over £14,000. :eek: :o To be honest, I can't expect them to pay for us now. First big holiday we've been on in a long time, to be honest. We're all quite excited, son and mother especially so.

:rotfl:

Will have to look up Loch Garten. Only been to see the ones at Rutland Water.
    beanielou wrote: »
    Enjoy your weekend :)

Thank you, Beanie. We had a snowy weekend again. :)
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    gallygirl wrote: »
    To a dog owner - I'm sure this makes perfect sense. To somebody who has never owned a dog - hilarious :rotfl:

Surely it depends on whether the flight was in economy or business class? :D

:rotfl: At least something has amused me today.

As for the dogs, they are sisters and love to play together. My cousin is a registered breeder and owns their mother. Always nice to get the dogs together and go for a walk but only tends to happen when my parents are away as I see my cousin numerous times per week but my parents don't.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • AlexLK
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Interesting week so far. March is going far too quickly, can't believe the clocks jump forward this weekend. :eek:

We've been working on the house. Currently seriously considering selling it after completion of works.

Things have changed financially for us this year with my new job but much more so with current business arrangements. Don't think I deserve to be in the position I am, to be honest.

However, financial update for March:
    £1,500 saved.
    £1,000 overpayment.
    2018 totals:
    Savings £11,200
  • wishingthemortgaheaway
    Options
    AlexLK wrote: »
    Well, my mother has planned and booked the trip. When I say planned, she spoke to a travel agent. :rotfl: Son will be having 3 weeks off school for it which I'm sure they won't be pleased about but he'll be spending his birthday on the Serengeti and he can catch up. Not lucky enough for my parents to be paying, currently owe them just over £14,000. :eek: :o To be honest, I can't expect them to pay for us now. First big holiday we've been on in a long time, to be honest. We're all quite excited, son and mother especially so.

£14k for a holiday? Are you flying by private jet?
    That's £1.5kpp/per week. I think you need a new savings pot/target. I can't deny it's going to be an amazing experience, but ouch!
    Outstanding mortgage: £23,181 (December 19)
    MFW 2020 Challenge Member #10 0/£2318
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport